Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I had been on a 3 month sub for 4 years.
Yeah, I was on a three month for almost 3 years. Oh well, maybe I'll get a surprise email in a few months. Sucks as I still have $8 credit in my account - not enough to justify buying a record and paying for shipping but would be nice to use it nonetheless.

Yeah, I was on a three month for almost 3 years. Oh well, maybe I'll get a surprise email in a few months. Sucks as I still have $8 credit in my account - not enough to justify buying a record and paying for shipping but would be nice to use it nonetheless.
Haven’t the prices for the different membership plans gone up over the past few years? If so, were you and @HiFi Guy maybe grandfathered into the lower cost plan (as long as you regularly renewed)? Makes me wonder if they don’t necessarily want you to renew at least under the discounted rate and maybe you get those emails for a bonus record if you re-up at the current (non-grandfathered) rate? 🤔

Haven’t the prices for the different membership plans gone up over the past few years? If so, were you and @HiFi Guy maybe grandfathered into the lower cost plan (as long as you regularly renewed)? Makes me wonder if they don’t necessarily want you to renew at least under the discounted rate and maybe you get those emails for a bonus record if you re-up at the current (non-grandfathered) rate? 🤔
I was grandfathered in to $25 a month for 3 month plan.

I was grandfathered in to $25 a month for 3 month plan.
Yup, I'm at the same $25 month / 3 months. I think like a lot of things w VMP it's just random who gets the free record offer.

Finally got around to listening to Experience Unlimited, and man what a great, fun album. For all their Tennis/Phoenix :sleep::sleep::sleep: picks, I gotta give VMP props for this one.

I'm still on the hook until March when I'll be opting to not renew my yearly sub, but hopefully they have at least a couple more of these up their sleeve between now and then.

OK. I come to you with crow feathers stuck to the corners of my mouth.

I decided to give Tennis a chance thanks to @Bohnjaggs and @GritNGlitter 's patience in persuading me over the years that I may actually like Tennis. Not the album Cam told us was as good as Rumours or Tapestry. But an older one - Young and Old. There are some songs on it that I definitely do not enjoy (My Better Self just meanders). But overall, I enjoy it!

Is Tennis essential to my collection? Nope, absolutely not. I think whomever said it earlier said it best - an album VMP says is the 14th best of the year is in no way essential. But this particular Tennis album I am listening to is good. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
I think I've said my antidote before, but for the pile: I was yearly for a few years at around $23/month. debated membership and "cancelled" right before I was set to renew in spring, and then kicked it back into gear a couple days later. it put me at the current yearly rate instead of giving me my old one- no other option given- but did offer a free record within those days. now I have switched to cancel but still have quite a bit of time left on the year I have paid through. no offers have come through for the future cancellation.

Yup, I'm at the same $25 month / 3 months. I think like a lot of things w VMP it's just random who gets the free record offer.
This was one of the reasons I canceled, I know it might seem petty, but there was no consistency in anything, the return policy, what ended up in swaps and when.........the list goes on. There are times when they do pull a great album out of their sleeves, but I'll grab it elsewhere, even for a little more, before signing up again. And if its a lot more, there is no album that I can't live without.

OK. I come to you with crow feathers stuck to the corners of my mouth.

I decided to give Tennis a chance thanks to @Bohnjaggs and @GritNGlitter 's patience in persuading me over the years that I may actually like Tennis. Not the album Cam told us was as good as Rumours or Tapestry. But an older one - Young and Old. There are some songs on it that I definitely do not enjoy (My Better Self just meanders). But overall, I enjoy it!

Is Tennis essential to my collection? Nope, absolutely not. I think whomever said it earlier said it best - an album VMP says is the 14th best of the year is in no way essential. But this particular Tennis album I am listening to is good. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm glad you gave them another chance. I will say that "My Better Self" is one of my favorites, and the main single from that album. "Petition" is my overall favorite Tennis track though.

This was one of the reasons I canceled, I know it might seem petty, but there was no consistency in anything, the return policy, what ended up in swaps and when.........the list goes on. There are times when they do pull a great album out of their sleeves, but I'll grab it elsewhere, even for a little more, before signing up again. And if its a lot more, there is no album that I can't live without.
Yes, it's maddening how consistently inconsistent they are.

600x600bf.png

Still waiting...

I interpret the tracks' meanings as follows:

Essentials: "This record should be in more people's collections. We don't think too many people already have it."
Classics: "This is an older record in the jazz, soul, blues, gospel, or funk genre that we are reissuing."
RHH: "This is a rap or hip-hop album. We think we can sell it to you."

My Vol 4 arrived yesterday. So just a Dehumanizer away from the discography. It tempts me but way too expensive currently
Brilliant! I have always loved Vol.4, some killer songs on there. Have to admit that im not too familiar with Sabbaths later work, Dehumanizer must have been around the time Dio was part of the group?

Brilliant! I have always loved Vol.4, some killer songs on there. Have to admit that im not too familiar with Sabbaths later work, Dehumanizer must have been around the time Dio was part of the group?

Yes it’s a mid 90s Ronnie album. Those Sabbath albums are all killer. I have Master Of Reality on now while I sort records in my Kalax. Btw @Joe Mac here’s how my Dylan’s are currently standing.

Back