Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Im doubtful on April being Aaliyah, only because the wide release isnt out until June. I doubt the VMP copy would come two months earlier

Last edited:
Don’t they offer after pay (or whatever it’s called) for the anthology box sets?

Haven’t they always offered more expensive monthly and quarterly subscription costs than the yearly one? That was a weird take.

Important question

Did the aaliyah estate approve of the reissue, because I remember lots of stuff involving the estate Vs the record label about putting her on streaming so if this is a grey area it's an automatic no go

seriously though the reissue of aliyahs music has been controversial and condemned by her estate, it kinda feels like the estate is abusing the lessening health of Barry Hankerson (original owner of blackground and uncle of aaliyah, also to be fair NOT A GREAT PERSON for artists and people he's connected to.. see Jojo, Timbaland, Kyme Dang) to get these unwanted reissues and that posthumous album out while they can

we don't know his health, but seeing as he is 74 now, he was the one restricting most of the stuff from happening, AND suddenly all this stuff is coming during covid times where the elder were the most harmed.. i can suspect some go set a watchmen stuff going on

this is probably the most controversial thing they could do tbh, with other big controversies they were never directly at the artist or estates of artists (de la soul had to say that VMP was a good group)
I'm not sure I follow. I understand the broader stuff here and have read about Barry Hankerson but...

You say these reissues have been condemned by the estate (which doesn't own the catalog and is really the mother and brother). But then that the estate is abusing the (presumed - admittedly, you've no evidence but age) deteriorating health of BH to get these unwanted reissues out while the can. There's a contradiction in those two concepts. Unless I'm mistaken in my reading and it's a third entity doing one of those distinct actions. As well, I'd say these issues are very much wanted by a lot of people.

Which leads me to the idea of an artists estate..who cares what her estate wants? She died young so I'm assuming that estate was set up by her next of kin. For what purpose? Her legacy? Maybe. Maybe not. The cynic in me says that regardless that's the story they'll tell. But at some point - I'd say almost immediately after death - it's not longer the artists vision so it becomes a narrative for a purpose outside of art.

I bet if her estate owned her catalog then they'd be more than happy for these reissues and probably would've done them long ago. But they're not making the big money so it's an issue.

I'm not so sure this is all that controversial. Just a lot of noise. If you like the music, then grab it. Heck, the most controversial thing in the whole equation is VMP and even then it's more yawn-inducing than anything else.

But I may be missing some angles as I'm only tangentially engaged.

I'm not sure I follow. I understand the broader stuff here and have read about Barry Hankerson but...

You say these reissues have been condemned by the estate (which doesn't own the catalog and is really the mother and brother). But then that the estate is abusing the (presumed - admittedly, you've no evidence but age) deteriorating health of BH to get these unwanted reissues out while the can. There's a contradiction in those two concepts. Unless I'm mistaken in my reading and it's a third entity doing one of those distinct actions. As well, I'd say these issues are very much wanted by a lot of people.

Which leads me to the idea of an artists estate..who cares what her estate wants? She died young so I'm assuming that estate was set up by her next of kin. For what purpose? Her legacy? Maybe. Maybe not. The cynic in me says that regardless that's the story they'll tell. But at some point - I'd say almost immediately after death - it's not longer the artists vision so it becomes a narrative for a purpose outside of art.

I bet if her estate owned her catalog then they'd be more than happy for these reissues and probably would've done them long ago. But they're not making the big money so it's an issue.

I'm not so sure this is all that controversial. Just a lot of noise. If you like the music, then grab it. Heck, the most controversial thing in the whole equation is VMP and even then it's more yawn-inducing than anything else.

But I may be missing some angles as I'm only tangentially engaged.
i actually removed the post because i felt it was too conspiratory... i wondered what was going on myself, i heard things saying one thing but also another

i was mostly referring to this tweet when she was announced to be put on streaming

also with the announcement of that posthumous album that was rumored for a longtime but is now happening

barry is a legit bad person seeing as he stopped jojo from releasing an album for 6 years, never gave the money for a timbaland album, and is why we never got the spotify or iTunes releases of the albums

Mariah Carey - Glitter and Maxwell - Now ticks all the boxes as well, no?

EDIT: I know Glitter is not a proper album per se, but stranger things have occurred....

I think it’s between Aaliyah and Kelis. I happen to own original pressings of both self titled and Wanderland. Hopefully it’s something I wasn’t expecting but I doubt it.

For anyone that can actually enter the guessing game contest thing, I am from the frozen wasteland up North and am not eligible, do they give you any indication you are right or close to right?

For anyone that can actually enter the guessing game contest thing, I am from the frozen wasteland up North and am not eligible, do they give you any indication you are right or close to right?
As the guy who won it last time, no, they do not give any indication if you're right or not. I imagine somebody is personally checking every entry to account for spelling errors and the like (hello Ágætis Byrjun).

Someone on Reddit is riding hard for Kelis "Wanderland" and I'm not sure it's "essential" but it checks a lot of VMP boxes...
I really think it’s going to be Wanderland. Plus Star Trek records such as Fly or Die by NERD and Lord Willin and He’ll Hath No Fury by Clipse have been pressed by VMP already. So it makes the most sense.

Mariah Carey - Glitter
it partially makes sense (seeing as they have done multiple mariah carey pressings in the past)... but its probably the most baffling of these choices honestly... in her whole career both glitter the album and the movie were considered her big low point, the film was the more notable failure because of barely hitting a quarter of its budget and being almost immediately called one of the worst movies ever (that's hyperbole but it is pretty much ignored in her fandom) and even possibly being the breaking point for her mental state since she ended up hospitalized and diagnosed as bipolar, the album has gained a following though but it would be a weird choice for sure compared to any other mariah carey album (specifically butterfly or emancipation of mimi)

Kelis does have a chance though i feel it would be one of those "you almost got the wanted masterpiece and you gave us something ok but not nearly as good"... but that has happened before with examples like choosing nada surf before Pinkerton and we already were knowing Pinkerton might happen, or when we all were hoping for channel orange and instead we got four tet's pink (and do i even have to mention john mayer)

Aaliyah would be a slam dunk, i just listened to it while cleaning records and its certainly a great album, if its kelis i still might buy it but i also would probably swap for that uzi album (which if you want that join ASAP because i KNOW scalpers will try to buy it ASAP seeing as uzi vinyl is expensive)

Which Aaliyah album is rumored? One in a Million is getting a wide release, so a simple color variant of that?

Back