Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I've seen no mention of this noise on the Cloud Hill press. It's done by Optimal. This is pretty much GZs calling card.
Yeah this sucks

Why did cloud hill cost 60 bucks anyway, it's on black vinyl, but limited, and optimal is not an expensive label (see how blue note is selling this kind of situation with AAA mastering for 25 dollars)

Maybe vinyl manufacturers just assumed that we did increase the minimum wage universally when we didn't so now most albums are overpriced to 30-40 bucks at least

This is the correct take. It is like when your watching the news and the newscaster makes reference to records and then smugly says something like “remember those?” because he is worried that he will be perceived as being old or out of it unless they reference the antiquated nature but in doing that it actually makes them look more unhip because they are completely ignorant to the decade long vinyl revival.

Blaming hipsters for the proliferation of colored wax is similarly out of touch and makes the person slinging such claims seem both pretentious and seemingly clueless to what drives hipster culture.

It’s like saying hipsters shop at Urban Outfitters when really UO is just a mass produced regurgitation of hipster culture.Q.

Hipsters strive for authenticity and vinyl reissues on colored wax would not typically fall into that category.
Why did the hipster burn his mouth ?
Because he ate his pizza before it was cool !

Why did the hipster burn his mouth ?
Because he ate his pizza before it was cool !
giphy.gif

Yep VMP already sent me out a replacement. Same issue everyone else is reporting. Pretty severe distortion for the first couple minutes of side A and B. Everything else sounds pretty good. They have to know this is a widespread issue.
If everyone else is reporting the issue, why get a replacement copy that will presumably have the same issues? Get them to re-press fixing the issue, then get a replacement!

If everyone else is reporting the issue, why get a replacement copy that will presumably have the same issues? Get them to re-press fixing the issue, then get a replacement!
Don't think it's quite as simple as "hi, please spend several thousand dollars to re-press this defective album. Also I don't want to wait nine months for it." If they're offering a replacement, might as well take it and then see what happens.

Don't think it's quite as simple as "hi, please spend several thousand dollars to re-press this defective album. Also I don't want to wait nine months for it." If they're offering a replacement, might as well take it and then see what happens.
The only solution for a defective product is to re-manufacture it after isolating the source of the defect. Going through multiple copies of a defective product to find one that is passable isn't a solution. Doing so makes the defect acceptable.

And when a manufacturer has to re-manufacture and replace - it hurts. Enough that they won't want to let it happen again.

The only solution for a defective product is to re-manufacture it after isolating the source of the defect. Going through multiple copies of a defective product to find one that is passable isn't a solution. Doing so makes the defect acceptable.

And when a manufacturer has to re-manufacture and replace - it hurts. Enough that they won't want to let it happen again.
Of course it's not a solution, but it is the VMP Way (TM).

Deloused surface noise trip report:

It sounds like most people have issues at the start of Sides A and B, but for me it was the opposite: the record was dead silent until the final 10 seconds or so of Side A. That's when the surface noise kicks in as the song begins to fade out. Side B sounded perfect to my old ears.

Side C had a couple of pops about halfway through, but nothing too jarring and on a casual listen, I probably wouldn't notice. I also didn't notice anything amiss on Side D.

I'm not sure how audiophile my setup can be considered so maybe it's a case where a "nicer" system would actually make it sound worse but for me... this sounds pretty good, especially given all the negative reviews I had been seeing. It also might be a case where maybe if I had on headphones I'd notice more flaws but honestly, I rarely listen to my records with headphones on so it's not gonna be an issue for me one way or the other.

I'm... satisfied? 😮

It sounds like most people have issues at the start of Sides A and B, but for me it was the opposite: the record was dead silent until the final 10 seconds or so of Side A. That's when the surface noise kicks in as the song begins to fade out. Side B sounded perfect to my old ears.

Side C had a couple of pops about halfway through, but nothing too jarring and on a casual listen, I probably wouldn't notice. I also didn't notice anything amiss on Side D.

I'm not sure how audiophile my setup can be considered so maybe it's a case where a "nicer" system would actually make it sound worse but for me... this sounds pretty good, especially given all the negative reviews I had been seeing. It also might be a case where maybe if I had on headphones I'd notice more flaws but honestly, I rarely listen to my records with headphones on so it's not gonna be an issue for me one way or the other.

I'm... satisfied? 😮

This gives me... hope?

I'm... satisfied? 😮
I'm so curious to know what they're doing in their manufacturing process to so frequently have these beginning and end of side crackles. Maybe stacking too many discs when cooling or coming off the stamper too quickly... I have no idea but it's like every single large run has these exact same issues. And yet the small run RHH is almost always perfect.. Maybe using stampers far beyond their lifespan in order to save money and time?

I'm so curious to know what they're doing in their manufacturing process to so frequently have these beginning and end of side crackles. Maybe stacking too many discs when cooling or coming off the stamper too quickly... I have no idea but it's like every single large run has these exact same issues. And yet the small run RHH is almost always perfect.. Maybe using stampers far beyond their lifespan in order to save money and time?
The stamper issue makes the most sense to me.

Back