Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Don't worry, it's only all 7 reviews on cogs and every single person who received their copy on Reddit who are saying there's bad noise and crackle at the top of side A and B. But, hey, maybe those are the only bad copies. Right? RIGHT?

sigh...

Don't worry, it's only all 7 reviews on cogs and every single person who received their copy on Reddit who are saying there's bad noise and crackle at the top of side A and B. But, hey, maybe those are the only bad copies. Right? RIGHT?

sigh...
One important question though

How is the sound of the non vmp version

Maybe it's an issue with the LP as a whole.. If the clouds hill version also has the noise.. in which case the selling these for 60 bucks is even more embarrassing

One important question though

How is the sound of the non vmp version

Maybe it's an issue with the LP as a whole.. If the clouds hill version also has the noise.. in which case the selling these for 60 bucks is even more embarrassing
I've seen no mention of this noise on the Cloud Hill press. It's done by Optimal. This is pretty much GZs calling card.

I tend to agree that colored vinyl is a marketing ploy for hipsters, but I fall into that hole far too often! But for the Mars Volta, I had an original pressing - happily sold it for very big bucks to get the VMP - and if they pressed up a turd on vinyl it would sound better.
It's funny, true "hipsters" or punks actually avoid colored vinyl for this very purpose. Black vinyl is the OG and not a trend. At least that's what I've seen/heard. It's actually "uncool" for a DJ to spin colored vinyl at a hip dive bar.

What do I know though anymore, I'm housebound with a 2 & 3 year old now FWIW.

Last edited:
It's funny, true "hipsters" or punks actually avoid colored vinyl for this very purpose. Black vinyl is the OG and not a trend. At least that's what I've seen/heard. It's actually "uncool" for a DJ to spin colored vinyl at a hip dive bar.

What do I know though anymore, I'm housebound with a 2 & 3 year old now FWIW.
This is the correct take. It is like when your watching the news and the newscaster makes reference to records and then smugly says something like “remember those?” because he is worried that he will be perceived as being old or out of it unless they reference their antiquated nature but in doing that it actually makes them look more unhip because they are completely ignorant to the decade long vinyl revival.

Blaming hipsters for the proliferation of colored wax is similarly out of touch and makes the person slinging such claims seem both pretentious and seemingly clueless to what drives hipster culture.

It’s like saying hipsters shop at Urban Outfitters when really UO is just a mass produced regurgitation of hipster culture.

Hipsters strive for authenticity and vinyl reissues on colored wax would not typically fall into that category.

Last edited:
It’s like saying hipsters shop at Urban Outfitters when really UO is just a mass produced regurgitation of hipster culture.
Yeah... YEAH! I worked at Urban Outfitters from 1998-2000 back when it actually WAS cool! Hipsters didn't even EXIST then. We INVENTED hipsters! You bunch of hipster doofus wannabes!

IT WAS COOL!
I WAS COOL!
I AM COOL!
OH MY GOD STOP LOOKING AT ME

Last edited:
Yeah... YEAH! I worked at Urban Outfitters from 1998-2000 back when it actually WAS cool! You bunch of hipster doofus wannabes!

IT WAS COOL!
I WAS COOL!
I AM COOL!
OH MY GOD STOP LOOKING AT ME!
I was in High School from 1998-2000 and shopped at American Eagle because the local mall (that was still 35 miles away) didn’t have an Abercrombie & Fitch.

Yep I should have known better too! My calculation that $52 was less than €52 it seems was a complete price over value judgement ☹️
Yeah mine was more I didn't realize the Clouds Hill versions were pressed at Optimal and these weren't so the math made more sense for me. Anyone know how that version sounds?

sigh...
Bad noise? I just checked the streaming version and that is exactly how I’d describe it. So it’s not a pressing issue. I rag on GZ as much as the next guy but this fault lies at the feet of the Mars Volta.

Bad noise? I just checked the streaming version and that is exactly how I’d describe it. So it’s not a pressing issue. I rag on GZ as much as the next guy but this fault lies at the feet of the Mars Volta.
I'm assuming you're making a joke about the quality of the music? Because the first track on side one and two don't have noise and crackle for the first several minutes. In fact none of them are supposed to.

I'm assuming you're making a joke about the quality of the music? Because the first track on side one and two don't have noise and crackle for the first several minutes. In fact none of them are supposed to.
Oh yes, that was a shot at the music…..because of how awful it is. Perhaps not my best wording. It’s too hot out, ok? lol
You should hear my jokes in the winter. They are crisp!

Back