Vinyl Me Please Essentials

So what’s the forum’s thoughts on The Doors release? Worth it? Been trying to get a real nice copy of this album for a while and I’m a member for the next three months
If it is your only copy, get a good stereo pressing. The mono mix is really not the best representation of this record.

If it is your only copy, get a good stereo pressing. The mono mix is really not the best representation of this record.
I'm just curious what stereo pressing you have, and if it's not the AP 45, how it compares to it. If you have compared the two. I've never heard another version and I'm interested to hear if the older pressings differ much in quality from the 45.

I'm just curious what stereo pressing you have, and if it's not the AP 45, how it compares to it. If you have compared the two. I've never heard another version and I'm interested to hear if the older pressings differ much in quality from the 45.
I have the Grundman remaster from the box set, which I find more 'authentic' sounding that the AP, which I found goosed to be more 'audiophile'. There is a mono mix of the first album in that box, which isnt really very good, not due to Grundman but the mix itself. My guess is that the mono is just a quick fold with some poorly chosen EQ tweaks. On the other hand, the mono mix of Strange Days is pretty good.

it's good, as good as you're likely to find. there are noise issues with it, but they're part of the recording, not pressing issues. the bonus 7" is nice but not a be-all end-all. just nice to have i guess. they did a good job on the pressing IMO.

If you like the doors (or this specific album) but aren't a huge audiophile nerd about it, this is a solid copy to have.
Thanks. I swapped Reba for this and was wondering. I love 45's though.

I'm interested in that too... I only have the AP 2x45 which I love. I don't plan on another copy but I'm curious.

The AP 45 blows away the VMP and Rhino mono releases. The DCC version from the 90s is supposed to be the best you can get though. I would get a vintage stereo copy or an AP 45 unless you wanna spend a lot of cash on the DCC. I got the mono because it's 33 and mono so it's different, but I don't like it that much compared to the AP, and will probably not spin it very often.

First two discogs reviews on DeLoused are talking about tonnes of noise and crackle on side A and B.... sigh.... GZZZZZZZzzz!
This is my shocked face

tenor.gif

Did they not clean the needle on their Crossley's in awhile?
Possibly, I don't generally put much faith in cogs reviews BUT when we're talking about the main issue with VMPs GZ presses I tend to skew towards believing where there's smoke there's fire.

EDIT: First 7 reviews now complaining of noise on A and B...

Last edited:
I tend to agree that colored vinyl is a marketing ploy for hipsters, but I fall into that hole far too often! But for the Mars Volta, I had an original pressing - happily sold it for very big bucks to get the VMP - and if they pressed up a turd on vinyl it would sound better.

Back