Vinyl Me Please Essentials

This is shaping up to be the weakest VMP month since I’ve joined imo. I have zero interest in the RHH or Classics selections. Jorge Ben I’m in on for sure though.

Over the past year or so I’ve limited myself to only a single VMP record per month. Jorge Ben is a no-brainer this month, and I will probably go with the new Sleater-Kinney in August if the rest of the album is half as good as “Hurry On Home.”

“If it plays - it's within tolerance.”

This think I hate this rule more than the nickel rule. My former LP60 couldn’t track a lot of records that my Ultradeck tracks just fine. That includes perfectly flat and well pressed records that just have high dynamic range. Just because it plays doesn’t make it acceptable. A very good TT might be able to track a record that fails the nickel test. But that doesn’t suddenly make it acceptable.

I think VMP is starting to forget their price point. I do think the core product is still premium, but a bad pressing makes everything else worthless.

Doesn't help that its a relatively quiet track to start.

Here's my video...

this seems like a similar issue that was pretty widespread with the VMP Kevin Morby - Oh My God album where there was the exact same scratch on a batch of them that caused the same kind of popping/clicking. seems like their QC is really going downhill if they keep letting these issues slide.

additionally, I can't believe that they are asking subscribers to try and slide nickles underneath their records to see if they are warped enough for a replacement. I was not one of the ones who quit VMP happily, I would have rather been a happy customer who stayed with them, but issues like these help me realize that I probably did the right thing.

Last edited:
Back