Vinyl Me Please Essentials

This whole nickel theory reminds me of my awesome experience at one of my local record stores in town. Ironically this store also landed on VMPs Top 50 records stores in America thing. I had purchased a brand new copy of Oasis’ Definitely Maybe. Got it home and cracked the seal only to find that I had 2 copies of sides 3&4 and no side 1&2. Contacted the owner and he told me to come down for an exchange. We actually opened a couple of copies before we found one that had all 4 sides. While I was there I bought a new copy of The Lemonheads It’s A Shame About Ray. I love that album. Get it home and it’s got issues too. I message the owner and this is his response.....

02D73256-ACDE-42DD-9E1B-35718EB95149.jpeg

Didn’t offer to exchange it or anything. Was very selective on what I bought from them moving forward. In fact it was pretty much limited to Record Store Day stuff until the stopped participating in that.

This whole nickel theory reminds me of my awesome experience at one of my local record stores in town. Ironically this store also landed on VMPs Top 50 records stores in America thing. I had purchased a brand new copy of Oasis’ Definitely Maybe. Got it home and cracked the seal only to find that I had 2 copies of sides 3&4 and no side 1&2. Contacted the owner and he told me to come down for an exchange. We actually opened a couple of copies before we found one that had all 4 sides. While I was there I bought a new copy of The Lemonheads It’s A Shame About Ray. I love that album. Get it home and it’s got issues too. I message the owner and this is his response.....

View attachment 7534

Didn’t offer to exchange it or anything. Was very selective on what I bought from them moving forward. In fact it was pretty much limited to Record Store Day stuff until the stopped participating in that.

That dude is trash.

View attachment 7534

That’s also the place that slaps VG+/NM on every used lp that rolls in.

Count me in for popping on Stars. Not during the whole track but a significant part of it. Is it even worth emailing anymore?
I would, maybe the repeat emails for the same issue will alert them that it's not an isolated issue.

Yeah - I'd definitely email them. Maybe they'll simply give you credit (a refund would be better) instead of sending you another copy with the exact same defect. I'm anticipating that the replacement they're sending me will pop...and I'll just have to email them again. 😐

Yeah - I'd definitely email them. Maybe they'll simply give you credit (a refund would be better) instead of sending you another copy with the exact same defect. I'm anticipating that the replacement they're sending me will pop...and I'll just have to email them again. 😐

I emailed them last night about Stars, but I need to make a video today to show them the popping. I wonder what % of these have this problem...

Right on. While there was an uptick in criticism in regards the price increases at VMP towards the end of the other place, I always felt that the generous, quibble free replacement policy was factored in to their costings and even though I rarely used the policy, it was comforting knowing it was there and I was therefore happy enough to pay a little extra. When members started regaling tales of having to jump through hoops for actual damaged records it made cancelling my subscription a whole lot easier. Two months now and I haven’t even visited the store to see if anything takes my fancy. It’s rather liberating.
I've still been keeping an eye on the store as I have credits to use. However, its amazing how little interest I have had in their picks that I have never heard of before. It used to be that I would jump to the forum and read the reviews/hype from you guys and no doubt end up putting an order in blind based purely on that alone. This was really the ultimate club experience as my tastes were expanded as a result. Now I dont even bother with the members store, if I go in blind on something it will be a pick up from my local shop after seeing something pop up on the pre-order/fresh grabs/no spinning etc. Everyone's a winner......except those that shall not be named.

Sucks so many people are having issues this month, but I can't say I'm shocked. I'm getting to the point of avoiding anything pressed at GZ with a splatter pattern. They have proven to me time and time again that they can't pull it off. There's the non-fill, the pimples, and the general poor matching of vinyl material's inherent surface noise. I wish VMP would move away from them, or at least stick to solid colors with low surface noise, but it doesn't seem likely...

Does anyone actually have a Stars album that doesn't pop on the last track?
They must not be replacing too many, because they're now on sale at the store.

Back