Vinyl Me Please Essentials

The Beverly Glenn Copeland album sounds pretty darn good after a listen. They didnt give any mastering details on that one though. I wonder if it's AAA? Looks like they are cutting corners a bit too much for their price point here with Emmylou and BGC otherwise. Not to mention At Folsom Prison and Just As I Am. I mean I get if the tape is gone/damaged or the label wouldn't give them access, but I'm skeptic that is the case with all these.

Giving Beverly-Glenn Copeland a play. Seems more of a Classics pick, no? Wonder why they chose it for Essentials. Not bad but I don't think I'll be picking that up. Otherwise I'm in for RHH/Classics for the next three months and debating updating my Wu.

I don't think folk fits into Classics. The one time they bended their genre rules was putting out a Salsa album, which is fine, but they said explicitly that they won't do reggae in Classics which doesn't make sense considering they did Salsa and Reggae is basically another sister-genre of Rhythm and Blues basically.

Sorry if this was already covered, do we know if the Mars Volta uses the same master as the lates reissue from Clouds Hill?

Can’t imagine it’s going to sell in Essentials quantities at all. Would have made much more sense as a store drop to be honest.
The Beverly Glenn Copeland album sounds pretty darn good after a listen. They didnt give any mastering details on that one though. I wonder if it's AAA? Looks like they are cutting corners a bit too much for their price point here with Emmylou and BGC otherwise. Not to mention At Folsom Prison and Just As I Am. I mean I get if the tape is gone/damaged or the label wouldn't give them access, but I'm skeptic that is the case with all these.

Can’t imagine it’s going to sell in Essentials quantities at all. Would have made much more sense as a store drop to be honest.

Considering the two monster reissues they sandwiched it between, I think it was an okay move to do a crate digger-type lesser known album/artist for August like that.

Honestly, yeah. I tested this one out to see what I'd think, and it's a pretty nice listen. However, I'm probably not gonna get it immediately so I can get some backlog records from the previous ROTMs.

Considering the two monster reissues they sandwiched it between, I think it was an okay move to do a crate digger-type lesser known album/artist for August like that.
I actually like it more than most Essentials picks but it seems very anomalous. I’d say Jim Sullivan has broader appeal and we all know how things worked out for poor Jim…

Yeah, this Beverly Glenn is wonderful, one of those "I didn't know I needed this type picks" which is where curation really begins to shine. It's going to be one of those that people are going to kick themselves for once it sells out in 2525. Really a sublime and melancholic pick to tie you between the frenzy of Mars Volta and the Wu. Definitely one of the strongest 3 month stretches in VMPs history so far.

Still holding out hope for a 2lp reissue of Midnight Marauders someday soon. Those EU pressings go for like $100. I’m entirely surprised a Tribe album hasn’t seen a VMP reissue yet.
Have they done any other records on Jive? Only one I can think of is UGK, but I think that was a collab with Pitchfork. I'm sure one of the big guys (Sony maybe?) owns the Jive catalogue. I would assume that they've tried for a Tribe record, so it might be the rights holders preventing it for whatever reason.

Still holding out hope for a 2lp reissue of Midnight Marauders someday soon. Those EU pressings go for like $100. I’m entirely surprised a Tribe album hasn’t seen a VMP reissue yet.
Seriously give me an ATCQ audiophile reissue campaign. I own all of them except The Love Movement bout would happily repurchase them all especially if They gave me a 2xLP MM and a 3xLP The Love Movement.

Back