Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Palo Alto was up for a while, at least an hour and a half, probably longer (I went to bed). May have been a mistake and people are going to get cancellation emails or no one wanted it.

Maybe they were updating stock in preparation for an announcement of restocks and accidentally made them publicly available to buy in the store 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, they may have accidentally pushed stock live. I thought for sure the first batch would come today at noonish and they'd notify with their usual store drop email so it was definitely a surprise to see a bunch of restocks last night. Some good stuff in there for those that didn't snag them the first time, but nothing I didn't already have or pass on. They didn't even go that far back in their releases which was kind of disappointing.

John Prine and the Strokes are also in stock now.

Just a PSA for everyone.. That Darkside album is on a zillion "must have on vinyl" lists. I have the 2 LP 45 Optimal press and the mastering is fucking STUNNING. It came in printed paper sleeves and mine has way too many pops for my liking as a result, but I cannot stress how incredible it sounds, and I'm assuming (hopefully) that they won't use a new master or at least won't screw up the OG vinyl master. So if you haven't heard it before. Get comfortable, turn the lights out, and sit back and soak it in. It's fantastic.

And if you want to get right to the good stuff, start with side 2...
Amen to all of this. This album is fucking fantastic.

Okay, so this is ridiculous now:

My local record shop just got Darkside and I can almost guarantee it's the same pressing details sans colour/obi-strip.* (edit - maybe not) I bought it and that's one less VMP record next month.

I knew it was going to happen, I'm just thankful it happened almost half a month in advance so I can safely not get the VMP variant. $29.99 CAD vs either $52USD for a VMP membership or the add on costs if I decide to pick up the classics, still saving a ton either way.

*EDIT: Anyone know what the difference will be between VMP's and the 2013? I may have snagged the 2013, but looks like they're both 45pm, but VMP is cut by Barry Grint and pressed at GZ. The reviews on the 2013 are pretty great so I'm feeling better about it.

Last edited:
Okay, so this is ridiculous now:

My local record shop just got Darkside and I can almost guarantee it's the same pressing details sans colour/obi-strip.* (edit - maybe not) I bought it and that's one less VMP record next month.

I knew it was going to happen, I'm just thankful it happened almost half a month in advance so I can safely not get the VMP variant. $29.99 CAD vs either $52USD for a VMP membership or the add on costs if I decide to pick up the classics, still saving a ton either way.

*EDIT: Anyone know what the difference will be between VMP's and the 2013? I may have snagged the 2013, but looks like they're both 45pm, but VMP is cut by Barry Grint and pressed at GZ. The reviews on the 2013 are pretty great so I'm feeling better about it.
That pressing you got sounds fantastic, amazing master, only issue is some noise caused by the paper sleeves. But depending on your setup and your luck you hopefully will be all good. I can't imagine the VMP sounding better in terms of the master. I'd hoped they'd stick with the same one. It's pretty much perfect.

That pressing you got sounds fantastic, amazing master, only issue is some noise caused by the paper sleeves. But depending on your setup and your luck you hopefully will be all good. I can't imagine the VMP sounding better in terms of the master. I'd hoped they'd stick with the same one. It's pretty much perfect.
Amazing. I'm glad I got it now. Going to ramp down on my VMP purchases and re-up for a month to grab Sturgill and King Curtis then I think I'm done for awhile. See what happens after this three month stretch.

In fun Darkside news, I was streaming Psychic in my Sr. Drafting/Engineering class just now, and had a 16 year old look up from their work and say, "What is this? It's pretty rad." I'll take that as a win. Still not ordering it - @45rpm that's too much flipping for my taste - but at least teenagers still think I have good taste in music.

In fun Darkside news, I was streaming Psychic in my Sr. Drafting/Engineering class just now, and had a 16 year old look up from their work and say, "What is this? It's pretty rad." I'll take that as a win. Still not ordering it - @45rpm that's too much flipping for my taste - but at least teenagers still think I have good taste in music.
You go grandpa!!

Back