Vinyl Me Please Essentials

He and Morrison.

And several others. I’m going to be honest and say that I don’t rate what I’ve heard of Morrison’s lyrics in the slightest but then the doors never were my thing, even as a teenager.

Last edited:
What a great thread, can't believe I missed all this.

I've never really liked classic rock, agree with @Joe Mac, meh. It will always be the very last bin in the record store that I would like at, if at all. I will listen to some classic (rock) albums from time to time though. If it's good music, it's good music.

I honestly feel quite offended that you all have Talking Heads labelled as classic rock o_O.

Talking Head's & Blondie I always thought were punk, maybe new wave, definitely not classic rock. (How the British punk scene developed is probably why they aren't considered punk anymore).

Grunge to me = Ned's Atomic Dustbin (by the way @TenderLovingKiller® I love the grunge Spinal Tap video you posted)

And to the meat of it, a hotdog is still a hotdog without any bread. Surely a sandwich needs some bread? :unsure:

I've never really liked classic rock, agree with @Joe Mac, meh. It will always be the very last bin in the record store that I would like at, if at all. I will listen to some classic (rock) albums from time to time though. If it's good music, it's good music.

I honestly feel quite offended that you all have Talking Heads labelled as classic rock o_O.

Talking Head's & Blondie I always thought were punk, maybe new wave, definitely not classic rock. (How the British punk scene developed is probably why they aren't considered punk anymore).

Grunge to me = Ned's Atomic Dustbin (by the way @TenderLovingKiller® I love the grunge Spinal Tap video you posted)

And to the meat of it, a hotdog is still a hotdog without any bread. Surely a sandwich needs some bread? :unsure:

Similarly. I own a lot of the classic rock cannon and it’s great music but I think there’s such a big deal made of that era and a lot of boring stuff is artificially rated because it’s from a similar time or in a similar style to a great.

Yeah I’d agree with you on Talking Heads and Blondie. Alongside Television they’re sort of American post-punk following in from the proto-punk of the likes of the Stooges. Them emerging at a similar time the iconic first wave of punk in Britain definitely muddied those waters.

Isn’t a hot dog without a bun just a sausage? Isn’t it the act of putting it in a bun what makes it a hot dog? It’s still not a sandwich though.

Similarly. I own a lot of the classic rock cannon and it’s great music but I think there’s such a big deal made of that era and a lot of boring stuff is artificially rated because it’s from a similar time or in a similar style to a great.

Yeah I’d agree with you on Talking Heads and Blondie. Alongside Television they’re sort of American post-punk following in from the proto-punk of the likes of the Stooges. Them emerging at a similar time the iconic first wave of punk in Britain definitely muddied those waters.

Isn’t a hot dog without a bun just a sausage? Isn’t it the act of putting it in a bun what makes it a hot dog? It’s still not a sandwich though.

I don't think a hot dog has any real meat, but:

Talking Heads and Blondie are definitely post-punk, but they get played on classic rock radio (at least as of the mid-2000s... who knows what plays on the radio these days).

And yes, hot dogs are still sandwiches.

Talking Heads and Blondie are definitely post-punk, but they get played on classic rock radio.

And yes, hot dogs are still sandwiches.
Are they fuck sandwiches! For a start when you get sent to the shop for hotdogs the expectation is (unless you own a border collie) that you'll fetch some buns too. So therefore the hotdog is only a part of the equation and not the full sandwich itself. That would be either a hotdog sandwich or, more likely, a hot dog in a bun. It's like saying a burger is a sandwich. It's not. a burger is the filling in a sandwich.

And on that matter I'd say that most commonly a hotdog wouldn't be 'sandwiched' between two slices of bread. It'll be in a bun so therefore it's not just literally not a sandwich but it figuratively isn't a sandwich either.

Absolute madness!

Are they fuck sandwiches! For a start when you get sent to the shop for hotdogs the expectation is (unless you own a border collie) that you'll fetch some buns too. So therefore the hotdog is only a part of the equation and not the full sandwich itself. That would be either a hotdog sandwich or, more likely, a hot dog in a bun. It's like saying a burger is a sandwich. It's not. a burger is the filling in a sandwich.

And on that matter I'd say that most commonly a hotdog wouldn't be 'sandwiched' between two slices of bread. It'll be in a bun so therefore it's not just literally not a sandwich but it figuratively isn't a sandwich either.

Absolute madness!

Also I’d never call something in a bun a sandwich. If it’s not between two doorsteps from a loaf it’s not a sandwich!

Absolute madness!

A burger is absolutely a sandwich.

Also I’d never call something in a bun a sandwich. If it’s not between two doorsteps from a loaf it’s not a sandwich!

I'm a bit torn on this, although I would never call it a sandwich, I would have a 'Fish Butty' & when say butty I mean sandwich. (I'm not getting into the bun, bap, barm cake convo)

Back