Vinyl Me Please Essentials

LOL. Disagree though. You can make a turd smell nice and look pretty good.

giphy.gif

As someone who started with a Squeaky Clean (which I still have) and has moved up to the Project VC-S2 ALU, I have opinions to keep this massive derail rolling....

For anyone that doesn't want to read everything, here's what you need to know: The Squeaky Clean 100% cleans as effectively as the VC-S2, it simply requires more effort.
I believe the upgrade is out and I am HIGHLY considering it. Just hurts to spend $500 on a record cleaner lol.
It doesn't hurt when you realize that you're listening more because it's more enjoyable. I thought it was easily a worthwhile expense.

My 2 cents: Spin Clean is hot garbage, but there IS a lower-cost reasonable alternative and it is called Squeaky Clean:

Check it out.
Agree, Squeaky Clean is the best lower cost option in my opinion.

A squeaky clean is probably gonna set me back £100 plus then the cost of a wetvac , say another £50 min...so about £150 ...

Whereas the project cleaners are around £300 to £400?

(The projects look far prettier mind)
The Project is much more attractive. Having said that, I still wouldn't want it out in my living room. I'm lucky enough to have a music room now where it feels at home. One thing I will way about the Squeaky Clean being unsightly is that it packs up nicely. I kept the mini-shop vac hidden behind a chair and I kept the Squeaky Clean in it's shipping box, which fit in a Kallax and was about double the width of a normal box set. I had one cube with the Squeaky Clean, fluids, and records that needed to be cleaned.

They also have a motorised platter. I mean why even bother with an RCM is you’re spinning the platter by hand whilst trying to apply liquid brush it and then vac it off.
The hand crank is a downside to the Squeaky Clean. But it's also $550 less in the US. For a lot of people they view the other way, are you really going to pay $500 more to not hand crank? I don't miss the hand crank, but the Squeaky Clean was a much lower barrier of entry to get me started.

I know the Squeaky Clean has been around for a while but the idea of a full size vacuum with that amount of suction power, scraping that arm across my records does not make me feel good. Part of the reason the RCM motors are less powerful is simply because I don't think you ideally WANT that much force bring applied to the arm while it's in contact with the record. One little bit of dirt or vinyl shaving on that felt and with that much power you're going to carve a ring around your nice new record.

Again, this is just my opinion. Obviously some people really like the Squeaky Clean but it gives me the heebies just thinking about that.
So you don't need a full size vacuum, I had 1 gallon/1 HP mini-shop vac from Walmart. Worked perfectly and tucked behind the couch like I mentioned above. It also has a valve to control the suction power. It's not "scraping" along your records any more than any other RCM.

The Squeaky Clean has no felt.
This is incorrect. The Squeaky Clean 100% has felt strips on the suction tube, just like my Project does. It actually might have had slightly nicer felt.

Additional notes - the Squeaky Clean comes with adapters for 7" and 10" records. These are not different tubes, but a much more simple and elegant solution, plastic covers to reduce the size of the opening on the arm tube. I actually still use these adaptors with my Project now.

Although the Squeaky Clean is unsightly, it also packs up nicely and the shipping box easily fits in a Kallax as I mentioned above. If we didn't have a music room, I may have had to compromise with my partner and keep the Squeaky Clean simply because it has the ability to stay out of sight when not in use.

As someone who started with a Squeaky Clean (which I still have) and has moved up to the Project VC-S2 ALU, I have opinions to keep this massive derail rolling....

For anyone that doesn't want to read everything, here's what you need to know: The Squeaky Clean 100% cleans as effectively as the VC-S2, it simply requires more effort.

It doesn't hurt when you realize that you're listening more because it's more enjoyable. I thought it was easily a worthwhile expense.

Agree, Squeaky Clean is the best lower cost option in my opinion.

The Project is much more attractive. Having said that, I still wouldn't want it out in my living room. I'm lucky enough to have a music room now where it feels at home. One thing I will way about the Squeaky Clean being unsightly is that it packs up nicely. I kept the mini-shop vac hidden behind a chair and I kept the Squeaky Clean in it's shipping box, which fit in a Kallax and was about double the width of a normal box set. I had one cube with the Squeaky Clean, fluids, and records that needed to be cleaned.

The hand crank is a downside to the Squeaky Clean. But it's also $550 less in the US. For a lot of people they view the other way, are you really going to pay $500 more to not hand crank? I don't miss the hand crank, but the Squeaky Clean was a much lower barrier of entry to get me started.

So you don't need a full size vacuum, I had 1 gallon/1 HP mini-shop vac from Walmart. Worked perfectly and tucked behind the couch like I mentioned above. It also has a valve to control the suction power. It's not "scraping" along your records any more than any other RCM.

This is incorrect. The Squeaky Clean 100% has felt strips on the suction tube, just like my Project does. It actually might have had slightly nicer felt.
When I referred to "scraping" it was mainly just in reference to the amount of suction you'd be getting from a large shop vac and how much force it would be exerting on the vinyl as it runs across the record. Because the suction power of gunna be super high on one of those machines so the force that's holding the record to the arm is gunna be crazy high. That scares me. But with a smaller vacuum it sounds safe.

When I referred to "scraping" it was mainly just in reference to the amount of suction you'd be getting from a large shop vac and how much force it would be exerting on the vinyl as it runs across the record. Because the suction power of gunna be super high on one of those machines so the force that's holding the record to the arm is gunna be crazy high. That scares me. But with a smaller vacuum it sounds safe.
Yup, smaller vacuum + adjustable suction on the arm should remove any worry someone might have. It's not a pretty machine, but it is extremely well thought out.

I have used my Spin Clean on many records, and in my experience it's far from 'hot garbage.'

I don't want a loud record cleaner; I don't want to hook up a damn vacuum to clean records late at night when everyone is asleep.
For that matter, I want to listen to records while I clean records, and Spin Clean is quiet enough for that.

It's produced in Pennsylvania, here in the USA. Since I'm a native and I like to support American companies when I can, I think it's a reasonable price for what it does. Is it the best? No. Is it 'hot garbage?' Again, I say no.

An ultrasonic would be my preference if I had a place to set it up and the extra money to buy it. In the meantime if I need a record cleaned on one, I can take it to my LRS and the audiophile shop next door will do an LP for $2-$3.

I have used my Spin Clean on many records, and in my experience it's far from 'hot garbage.'

I don't want a loud record cleaner; I don't want to hook up a damn vacuum to clean records late at night when everyone is asleep.
For that matter, I want to listen to records while I clean records, and Spin Clean is quiet enough for that.

It's produced in Pennsylvania, here in the USA. Since I'm a native and I like to support American companies when I can, I think it's a reasonable price for what it does. Is it the best? No. Is it 'hot garbage?' Again, I say no.

An ultrasonic would be my preference if I had a place to set it up and the extra money to buy it. In the meantime if I need a record cleaned on one, I can take it to my LRS and the audiophile shop next door will do an LP for $2-$3.
I love my spin clean.

I'm on Team Spin Clean as well. It does feel a bit overpriced for what is essentially a big piece of molded plastic and a cleaning solution, but it's still cheaper than the dry vac alternatives. I've had mine for about five or six years so in the end, it has gotten me my money's worth.

No matter if your preferred cleaning system is a piece of hot garbage or a homebrew system made by a troll under a bridge, the important thing is to clean your records. Especially new records, you never know where that dirty piece of GZ vinyl was before you.
Don’t be silly. Hot garbage is what I use to heat the vinyl in my less than fancy vinyl flat...

I'm on Team Spin Clean as well. It does feel a bit overpriced for what is essentially a big piece of molded plastic and a cleaning solution, but it's still cheaper than the dry vac alternatives. I've had mine for about five or six years so in the end, it has gotten me my money's worth.
No one should ever knock someone else's gear. If it works for you and you enjoy the music that is all you need.
Suggestions when asked or discussed are great, but I hope we don't go down the AA route of competitiveness, oneupmanship or purchase validation issues.

WORD.

No one should ever knock someone else's gear. If it works for you and you enjoy the music that is all you need.
Suggestions when asked or discussed are great, but I hope we don't go down the AA route of competitiveness, oneupmanship or purchase validation issues.

It smacks of the snobby Audiophile nonsense that I see all too often.

It's fine to say "that didn't work for me," or "I found a better way for my records." Personal experience is different for everyone, just like budgets, living situations, and so on. And it's nice to suggest other ways to our collecting and listening friends online.

DON'T B E SUCH A CHICKEN

btw anyone else get these black friday at vmp emails? making it sound like great deals and then your relize they just marked the shit out of all these old records that were supposedly "limited" and now can't sell at 45-50 bucks per? so they're trying to fool us with deals of 35 bucks and such? vmp is really turning into a hipster profit machine. makes me want to start my own record club to compete with their asses.

Back