Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Fun fact: Cher's "Believe" was the number 1 song the day I was born

Okay, that's probably more "fact" than "fun" but hey, there is my always helpful input into these threads.

You’re so so so young 😂

True by Spandau Ballet was UK Number 1 the week I was born 😱

@NathanRicaud stop shouting everyone else down, they don’t all agree with you.

You’re so so so young 😂

That is a fun little exercise - one which I've never done. Looks like on my date of birth The Police "Every Breath You Take" was number one on the Billboard Hot 100 (also the longest run - 8 weeks - that year).

I'll take that over Cher "Believe" any day.

It looks like you and I are just about the same age.

You’re so so so young 😂

I know! I am shutting all the guesses down! I just can't imagine VMP doing a Cher, Bobby Brown or Destiny's Child Essentials ROTM though! Still, I need to be more open-minded but VMP's Essential ROTM selections aren't broad enough to allow such guesses to qualify as a valid guess (in my opinion), as they are very outside of what VMP would decide to make an Essentials ROTM!

We got Whitney Houston, John Mayer, Jennifer Lopez this year and have also got exclusives from Justin Timberlake and Mariah Carey in the past, so you never know with VMP.! But still....I feel like nearly all the guesses were too outside of what VMP would pick to choose as their Essentials ROTM!

Yeah, I think you’re right! I’m hoping that is the case to be honest and I hope it is Lady in Satin! 🤞

But is that a jazz album or soul album!?! I guess a soul album...🤷‍♂️
I've been hunting down a copy of Lady In Satin for a while and just got a fantastic pressing the other week, so it would be just my luck for VMP to announce it as a pick!

Also, Lady In Satin is definitely jazz.

I know! I am shutting all the guesses down! I just can't imagine VMP doing a Cher, Bobby Brown or Destiny's Child Essentials ROTM though! Still, I need to be more open-minded but VMP's Essential ROTM selections aren't broad enough to allow such guesses to qualify as a valid guess (in my opinion), as they are very outside of what VMP would decide to make an Essentials ROTM!

We got Whitney Houston, John Mayer, Jennifer Lopez this year and have also got exclusives from Justin Timberlake and Mariah Carey in the past, so you never know with VMP.! But still....I feel like nearly all the guesses were too outside of what VMP would pick to choose as their Essentials ROTM!

But...when it is Cher. And have no doubt, it will be Cher (Baby Diaper knows these things - remember when you said no way it will be Fishscale and I called it)....we expect you will toe the company line and hype it with mass emojidom?

I've been hunting down a copy of Lady In Satin for a while and just got a fantastic pressing the other week, so it would be just my luck for VMP to announce it as a pick!

Also, Lady In Satin is definitely jazz.
That's awesome you found a great copy of that album! I love that album! I've got a few Billie Holiday Analogue productions pressings and they are both outstanding!

Yeah, I thought so! Lady In Satin is vocal jazz and isn't soul! I got the Essentials and Classics clues mixed up, and thought that the Essentials December ROTM will be a soul album. That's not the case. So Billie Holiday's Lady In Satin is definitely still in the running to be the December Essentials ROTM pick!

But...when it is Cher. And have no doubt, it will be Cher (Baby Diaper knows these things - remember when you said no way it will be Fishscale and I called it)....we expect you will toe the company line and hype it with mass emojidom?
I don't think I said it won't ever be Ghostface Killah's Fishscale! I was pretty certain it was going to be Ghostface Killah's Apollo Kids from the 120 clue, and then just didn't know what it could be after Storf mentioned the next clues! We all thought it was gonna be GZA, but I was never like 100% it's GZA! Before it was discovered that Ghostface Killah's Fishscale was a ROTM, I guessed it and said it was out of Fishscale, Return To The 36 Chambers or Liquid Swords! 🧠👈💯

I will not be hyping Cher up at all! It will be getting disappointed mass emojis from me if it is the pick! And I am happy to say that it definitely won't be picked by VMP to be an Essentials ROTM! 🍻🌝👊👏👏👏

The chance of VMP doing a Cher album as an Essentials ROTM is less likely than VMP repressing the FutureSex/LoveSounds exclusive! 😂🔮🆗

You’re so so so young 😂

But Joe it’s confirmed now that it’s Outkast and Badu because it’s what Nathan is hoping for!

can we also talk about how hilarious it is that one of the main reasons why people suspected Fishscale last month was because Storf sold his older copy of it on discogs? Maybe we just need to see what Storf is trying to sell this month to know what the ROTM is?

Throwing this out as a possible combo: Pretenders - Kinks - Blur
Ya I saw this one on reddit but Ray Davies and Chrissie were never married (same issue with Outkast and Badu) but also I don’t think Davies was featured on any Pretenders albums outside of just having a kinks song covered. I have a copy of Lola vs Powerman and that album is incredible but could definitely use a nice reissue...

Ya I saw this one on reddit but Ray Davies and Chrissie were never married (same issue with Outkast and Badu) but also I don’t think Davies was featured on any Pretenders albums outside of just having a kinks song covered. I have a copy of Lola vs Powerman and that album is incredible but could definitely use a nice reissue...

Costello - The Pogues (it’d have to be Rum Sodomy and the Lash) - The Clash (although while it'd never happen I’d fucking love it if you lot got a Dubliners album 😂)

Aaliyah, R Kelly, Marvin Gaye. Though that would absolutely not happen.
That would be a dream come true! Imagine it being Aaliyah's Aaliyah or One In A Million, then R. Kelly's 12 Play or R. Kelly and then finally Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear or I Want You!

That would be life-changing for me, as that's very much albums I enjoyed in my high school years!

That would be a dream come true! Imagine it being Aaliyah's Aaliyah or One In A Million, then R. Kelly's 12 Play or R. Kelly and then finally Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear or I Want You!

That would be life-changing for me, as that's very much albums I enjoyed in my high school years!

Yeah R Kelly can go fuck right off the dirty bastard, not even storf would stoop that low I’d hope.

Yeah R Kelly can go fuck right off the dirty bastard, not even storf would stoop that low I’d hope.
Yeah, even though I really like his first few albums, it's gross what he's done! Like, he's bad! He bribed Aaliyah to marry him when she was only 15 years old! I can't believe that! He's such a predator...😠

Back