Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I hope the December Essentials ROTM actually does end up being Jill Scott's Who Is Jill Scott? because the 2020 reissue sucks! It skips and has a lot of surface noise! šŸ˜–

It was confirmed that the December Essentials ROTM will be a soul album!

I think the word features makes it more likely that the October Essentials ROTM will be OutKast! AndrƩ 3000 is a featured artist who makes up part of OutKast and Erykah Badu was a featured artist on the album Stankonia! They were in a relationship and even had a child together, so I guess the word 'spouse' would be enough to work in this context. Like Erykah's better half in the late 90's was AndrƩ 3000!
The word ā€œfeaturesā€ is the confusing part to me. I wouldnā€™t say Stankonia ā€œfeatures Andre 3000ā€...hes one of 2 main people on it. but we all know that even though Storf is the editor, he hardly has a way with words...The way the hint is phrased, the 2nd album would have to be Badu In this case. It doesnā€™t matter that Badu was on Stankonia because thatā€™s not any part of the clue. And as far as I know, Andre was never on any Erykah Badu tracks until But You Cainā€™t. So she isnā€™t the first ROTM...

All I really know is that itā€™s not often that everyone guesses the right albums within a few hours of a first vague clue and more often than not it leads to disappointment for those that canā€™t talk themselves into loving some album they never wanted prior to it being a ROTM hah

The word ā€œfeaturesā€ is the confusing part to me. I wouldnā€™t say Stankonia ā€œfeatures Andre 3000ā€...hes one of 2 main people on it. but we all know that even though Storf is the editor, he hardly has a way with words...The way the hint is phrased, the 2nd album would have to be Badu In this case. It doesnā€™t matter that Badu was on Stankonia because thatā€™s not any part of the clue. And as far as I know, Andre was never on any Erykah Badu tracks until But You Cainā€™t. So she isnā€™t the first ROTM...

All I really know is that itā€™s not often that everyone guesses the right albums within a few hours of a first vague clue and more often than not it leads to disappointment for those that canā€™t talk themselves into loving some album they never wanted prior to it being a ROTM hah
ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia, Baduizm & Mama's Gun are all wonderful albums! They are incredible albums and all deserve the Essentials treatment! Baby monster is going to be super happy if the Essentials picks for the next few months really are OutKast and Erykah Badu! That's the music I loved when I was young, in school and still play and love. I have all those albums on vinyl but want it them to get the VMP Essentials treatment!

No she isn't. She is a sloppy mess of an enabling junkie that fucked other rock stars to write her best songs/riffs. And her own private eye she hired to clear her of suspicion in Kurt's death for insurance reasons actually thinks she had Kurt killed. To this day, Dave Grohl refuses to cover Nirvana songs so as not to pay her any royalties.

Fuck Courtney Love

It looks like weā€™re going to disagree on this one. FWIW Iā€™m a big Nirvana fan. But I do think Live Through This is essential.

ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia, Baduizm & Mama's Gun are all wonderful albums! They are incredible albums and all deserve the Essentials treatment! Baby monster is going to be super happy if the Essentials picks for the next few months really are OutKast and Erykah Badu! That's the music I loved when I was young, in school and still play and love. I have all those albums on vinyl but want it them to get the VMP Essentials treatment!
I agree they all deserve it. Iā€™m a huge Badu fan as well as Outkast and would gladly upgrade. I just donā€™t want people to get their hopes up like they do every month and have it end up being Avril Lavigne and Nickleback or something like that hah

also why does everyone say VMP pretty much promised Stankonia? I know people have talked about it for awhile but canā€™t remember why that rumor started outside of people thinking it because itā€™s the 20th anniversary and they have done Outkast before? And it seems like Sir Lucious Left foot is the RHH for one of these 3 months too right?

wait

allman brothers

cher

greg and cher were married
No thanks! I definitely hope it isn't that! šŸ˜šŸ¤¢

No chance VMP would make Cher an Essentials ROTM!

You guys keep forgetting the ā€œfeaturedā€ clue. Itā€™s unlikely the artists will be ā€œEx #1ā€ and ā€œEx #2.ā€

Instead itā€™ll be more likely ā€œalbum that features a brief appearance by Ex #1ā€ and then ā€œEx #2.ā€

You know VMP wonā€™t do a Cher album, so your next best move is to search for guest appearances by Cher on other artistsā€™ albums. And so on.

You guys keep forgetting the ā€œfeaturedā€ clue. Itā€™s unlikely the artists will be ā€œEx #1ā€ and ā€œEx #2.ā€

Instead itā€™ll be more likely ā€œalbum that features a brief appearance by Ex #1ā€ and then ā€œEx #2.ā€
OutKast & Erykah Badu confirmed! Very likely that OutKast will be October, and Lauryn Hill will be December too, with November being unrelated to those two picks/clue!

Also @NathanRicaud its a bummer to hear the Jill Scott reissue sucks...you and I have both put Who is Jill Scott? atop our VMP wishlists for awhile. I have an OG pressing but it could definitely use a good update/remaster/repress.

I agree they all deserve it. Iā€™m a huge Badu fan as well as Outkast and would gladly upgrade. I just donā€™t want people to get their hopes up like they do every month and have it end up being Avril Lavigne and Nickleback or something like that hah

also why does everyone say VMP pretty much promised Stankonia? I know people have talked about it for awhile but canā€™t remember why that rumor started outside of people thinking it because itā€™s the 20th anniversary and they have done Outkast before? And it seems like Sir Lucious Left foot is the RHH for one of these 3 months too right?

I remember there being very strong hinting from Storf that Outkast would be an essential pick this fall, I don't remember why Stankonia specifically but there was a reason. I would suspect that there would be a mention of a tie-in with RHH if Big Boi were going to be a pick though. I really hope we get Mama's Gun, that's the only Badu I'm missing!

Also @NathanRicaud its a bummer to hear the Jill Scott reissue sucks...you and I have both put Who is Jill Scott? atop our VMP wishlists for awhile. I have an OG pressing but it could definitely use a good update/remaster/repress.
I know Mike! Who Is Jill Scott? is one of my favourite albums of the 2000's and I was so disappointed by the reissue! Gutted! And yeah, you know how much I love that album too as I use to post it in the VMP Wishlist back in the VMP forum!

The pressing is noisy, sound quality is average and there's skipping! And if you look on Discogs, this 2020 reissue also has poor reviews...Totally gutted!

I remember there being very strong hinting from Storf that Outkast would be an essential pick this fall, I don't remember why Stankonia specifically but there was a reason. I would suspect that there would be a mention of a tie-in with RHH if Big Boi were going to be a pick though. I really hope we get Mama's Gun, that's the only Badu I'm missing!
The pressing for Mama's Gun sounds pretty great but I want it to get the VMP treatment still because that's my favourite Badu album! I love Baduizm so much though and the pressing for that album is good, but not as good as Mama's Gun! Either pick will be a total winner!

But looking closely at the clue, I feel like we won't be getting Erykah Badu unfortunately. I think Storf is only talking about the October and December Essentials pick in that clue! Unless he really is saying the ex spouse of the October pick is the November Essentials pick! I dunno, but either way, I am so excited to see what the Essential picks are!

Itā€™s the 20th anniversary of Stankonia in October is probably why people think it could be that

Itā€™s the 20th anniversary of Stankonia in October is probably why people think it could be that
I remember him saying specifically that's the one they would do for essentials and hinting it would happen. I remember because I would pick Aquemini personally and he kinda said it like, of course Stankonia is the more essential one, which I disagree with. Pretty sure it was on the VMP forum.

I remember him saying specifically that's the one they would do for essentials and hinting it would happen. I remember because I would pick Aquemini personally and he kinda said it like, of course Stankonia is the more essential one, which I disagree with. Pretty sure it was on the VMP forum.
I think both are as Essential as each other, but if I had to choose between Aquemini and Stankonia, I'd pick Stankonia! It's just a groundbreaking album that pushed the boundaries of hip-hop and the singles on that album are just... šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„

I think both are as Essential as each other, but if I had to choose between Aquemini and Stankonia, I'd pick Stankonia! It's just a groundbreaking album that pushed the boundaries of hip-hop and the singles on that album are just... šŸ”„ šŸ”„ šŸ”„
I think for me, while the singles are great on Stankonia, I prefer Aquemini as a whole album. No shade on Stankonia, it is a truly great album. I am perfectly happy with my original Aquemini and I haven't heard anything good about the original Stankonia press, so at this point I'd rather they do it too, since I need that one still.

Did you see that Stankonia article I shared in the hip hop thread today? Good piece if anyone here doesn't frequent over there, since we keep talking about it here.

I think for me, while the singles are great on Stankonia, I prefer Aquemini as a whole album. No shade on Stankonia, it is a truly great album. I am perfectly happy with my original Aquemini and I haven't heard anything good about the original Stankonia press, so at this point I'd rather they do it too, since I need that one still.

Did you see that Stankonia article I shared in the hip hop thread today? Good piece if anyone here doesn't frequent over there, since we keep talking about it here.
Yeah, the Aquemini pressing sounds great, and the MOV pressing for Stankonia is great and is definitely better than the original pressing (which I purchased when I first started collecting vinyl)!

Thanks for the link to that! I didn't see it and am gonna give it a read! šŸ˜Š

The pressing for Mama's Gun sounds pretty great but I want it to get the VMP treatment still because that's my favourite Badu album! I love Baduizm so much though and the pressing for that album is good, but not as good as Mama's Gun! Either pick will be a total winner!

But looking closely at the clue, I feel like we won't be getting Erykah Badu unfortunately. I think Storf is only talking about the October and December Essentials pick in that clue! Unless he really is saying the ex spouse of the October pick is the November Essentials pick! I dunno, but either way, I am so excited to see what the Essential picks are!

i think the clue meant that the ex spouse of a featured artist on the first pick IS the second pick!

Back