Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I would jump all over Top Drawer.

I will not be receiving the Shaggs. I don’t care that I planned to be a VMP Essentials completionist for a year as an experiment. I was willing to accept some of the picks I didn’t care for - Experience Unlimited and Africa Brasil - in order to expand my musical experiences and maybe taste.

But I don’t want to expand them as far as the Shaggs.

Hard pass if it's The Shaggs.

Top Drawer, however, intrigues me.
If it’s Top Drawer’s Solid Oak, i’ll definitely give it a go. I can imagine really immersing myself in this release when on high-quality vinyl! 🤠😇

There’s something unique about this Top Drawer album. It sounds religious, reminds me a tiny bit of Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black and a bit of Tame Impala’s Lonerism. The vocals have this reggae touch to it and although the music is still very rock, it’s funky and holy and reminds me of an cute, outdated, ugly bar that still has character that you’d find in Red Dead Redemption! 😊🤷‍♂️

If it’s Top Drawer’s Solid Oak, i’ll definitely give it a go. I can imagine really immersing myself in this release when on high-quality vinyl! 🤠😇

There’s something unique about this Top Drawer album. It sounds religious, reminds me a tiny bit of Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black and a bit of Tame Impala’s Lonerism. The vocals have this reggae touch to it and although the music is still very rock, it’s funky and holy and reminds me of an cute, outdated, ugly bar that still has character that you’d find in Red Dead Redemption! 😊🤷‍♂️

Completely respect the Red Dead Redemption reference! 🤠

The upcoming month's Essentials pick is going to be "the most crate digger album ... this year" according to storf, who added that it was on a label that only released that album according to discogs.

I think we're getting this one.

View attachment 13315

There is no way in hell VMP would do the Shaggs for an ROTM, lol.

...aaaaaaaaand that logic takes Jandek off the table.

My guess is Eugene Mcdaniels and the Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse, I'm not sure if that's crate diggery enough though.

Edit. doesn't really fit the other clue oh well.

Last edited:
Ouch.

The opening song “Song of a Sinner” is fantastic. The rest of the album... isn’t bad. Not amazing, but certainly more listenable than the fucking Shaggs.
Yeah, Totally agree with you.
Definitely better than Shaggs but, I can't see it as an "Essential" record either.
Hopefully it'll be something else.

Apple Music isn't exactly pushing those Top Drawer streams 🤣🤣🤣🤣
View attachment 13419

I always wonder where they source this crap from. Sometimes they're long rants, sometimes they're crap like this, sometimes it's clearly copy from the label.... They should just hire more writers to work on this stuff to facilitate better understanding of the music on the platform.

Despite the cynicism I do somewhat agree that lots of these rare rock and psych records are mostly propped up by a few good cuts and put on a pedestal solely because of rarity / cool factor. I'll give this one a listen again, but I don't think I need it either. The opening cut is on Forge Your Own Chains which is easily my favorite Now Again comp, and honestly a much better listen than almost any of the albums it draws from.

I always wonder where they source this crap from. Sometimes they're long rants, sometimes they're crap like this, sometimes it's clearly copy from the label.... They should just hire more writers to work on this stuff to facilitate better understanding of the music on the platform.

I just checked on Spotify and it's exactly the same text!

Back