Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Alright... Check Your Head VMP vs 2009 RTI.

Just posted this to Cogs so I'll just cross post here for anyone curious about this one.

Alright so to the question at hand, how does this VMP AAA stack up against the 2009 RTI? First off, the VMP package is really nice here. Nice thick jacket, added booklet, poster etc. The 2009 RTI is at least 180 grams maybe more, the VMP isn't thin but nowhere near the crazy thick slabs that the 2009 release put out. So if you care about that sort of thing, the 2009 RTI is much thicker. So package wise, no surprise VMP pretty much kills the 2009 aside from the vinyl weight. How about the sound? Well... RKS did a nice job here on the VMP, it's got a slightly more "musical" quality to it vs the 2009. There's a little bit more extension on the cymbals, the congas, the drums. Everything just a little bit more natural sounding, the voices are just a tiny bit more present, the instruments a touch more separation. It sounds smooth, like most RKS stuff, it's an easy listen. I have a lot of his stuff and I really like his work but I find that his style tends to soften the sound overall, in that the highs are a little less bright and the lows a little more, contained I suppose for lack of a better word. Great work but maybe not as... exciting in some cases as some other engineers. And that's kind of the case here vs the RTI. The VMP has a solid smooth natural sound to it, but the RTI is BIG. The stage on the RTI is larger, wider, the bass is softer but heavier, bigger. There's a certain sightly messy live dynamic to the RTI that isn't quite there on the VMP. But I'm getting really nebulous here. Bottom line is they both sound really really good. If you have the 2009 and you're cool with the bare bones package on that one, then you're good, you don't need the VMP in my opinion. I'm not sure which one I'm going to keep at this point to be honest. I was expecting the RKS to smoke the 2009 so I was kind of surprised at just how close they are.
Has anyone on Cogs called you a "deaf idiot" yet? We are waiting for the next exciting NightMather Discogs massacre story

Just posted this to Cogs so I'll just cross post here for anyone curious about this one.

Alright so to the question at hand, how does this VMP AAA stack up against the 2009 RTI? First off, the VMP package is really nice here. Nice thick jacket, added booklet, poster etc. The 2009 RTI is at least 180 grams maybe more, the VMP isn't thin but nowhere near the crazy thick slabs that the 2009 release put out. So if you care about that sort of thing, the 2009 RTI is much thicker. So package wise, no surprise VMP pretty much kills the 2009 aside from the vinyl weight. How about the sound? Well... RKS did a nice job here on the VMP, it's got a slightly more "musical" quality to it vs the 2009. There's a little bit more extension on the cymbals, the congas, the drums. Everything just a little bit more natural sounding, the voices are just a tiny bit more present, the instruments a touch more separation. It sounds smooth, like most RKS stuff, it's an easy listen. I have a lot of his stuff and I really like his work but I find that his style tends to soften the sound overall, in that the highs are a little less bright and the lows a little more, contained I suppose for lack of a better word. Great work but maybe not as... exciting in some cases as some other engineers. And that's kind of the case here vs the RTI. The VMP has a solid smooth natural sound to it, but the RTI is BIG. The stage on the RTI is larger, wider, the bass is softer but heavier, bigger. There's a certain sightly messy live dynamic to the RTI that isn't quite there on the VMP. But I'm getting really nebulous here. Bottom line is they both sound really really good. If you have the 2009 and you're cool with the bare bones package on that one, then you're good, you don't need the VMP in my opinion. I'm not sure which one I'm going to keep at this point to be honest. I was expecting the RKS to smoke the 2009 so I was kind of surprised at just how close they are.

Cheers. I have the 2009 and was holding off because I like it well enough.

Has anyone on Cogs called you a "deaf idiot" yet? We are waiting for the next exciting NightMather Discogs massacre story
I'm sure it's coming. The VMP Stans will have their pitchforks out momentarily.

The VMP is probably the "better" of the two but it's so much closer than I had expected. It's not so much that the VMP is worse than I thought, it's awesome. It's just the RTI is way better than I remembered so it's pretty close.

Actually that reminds it's been a few weeks since I erased all that guys dumb reviews/comments. I think a good morning waffle bake and idiot Discogs deletion party is in order.

I'm sure it's coming. The VMP Stans will have their pitchforks out momentarily.

The VMP is probably the "better" of the two but it's so much closer than I had expected. It's not so much that the VMP is worse than I thought, it's awesome. It's just the RTI is way better than I remembered so it's pretty close.

Bonus points to you for the line "And a bunch of really expensive cables because I'm a huge sucker". 😅 :LOL:

I mean my assumption was always that as long as GZ didn’t screw it up it would be better but the RTI is pretty damn good. I could give two shits about the package in most cases. I’m happy with the messier live sound, I imagine I actually prefer it. I don’t want a softer, brighter, contained Beastie Boys… it’s not what they’re about. So thanks for doing the good work and letting me know my assumptions were valid and I don’t need a different copy.

In the same boat as @Turbo . @Mather you are a public service. Long May you continue tearing records apart note by note from your murder dungeon.
Same. I gave my 2009 copy a spin and liked it. So nice the VMP is not a major upgrade and can save the $$$

And you describe exactly why I am not a RKS fan. I find his mastering always feels slightly shrouded. He does good work but if there are other versions readily available as well I will go the cheaper route.

Last edited:
Same. I gave my 2009 copy a spin and liked it. So nice the VMP is not a major upgrade and can save the $$$

And you describe exactly why I am not a RKS fan. I find his mastering always feels slightly shrouded. He does good work but if there are other versions readily available as well I will go the cheaper route.
I was so tempted to go for the upgrade too, but I've got the 2009 and never thought it was bad so I'm happy to know I'm not really missing out for the cost.

Yeah he also did the TVZ this month and while it's good it's the same thing. It's very smooth and polite. I know it's a live recording and it's likely not an amazing source but I'd love to hear what KPG or Bellman or BG would do with it. Because I really want to hear those string plucks and treble extension and with RKS it's really just not there. But it sounds good enough that I think that information is there, he's just softened it.

ok the new prediction on the discord is that the march "wow they are going to do it" essential is going to be madonnas ray of light.. i do see madonna as a big deal but she is not nearly as big a deal as she used to be so its feels easy to get the exclusive. like madonna hasn't really been the relevant musical powerhouse since like... MAYBE 2003, it would be cool to get ray of light.. but we aren't thinking "wow they got madonna".. we think "ok madonnas people found that VMP was popular"

Back