Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I think the best case scenario for a January 1968 album VMP could do is if we get a AAA Blue Cheer reissue.
We already have great reissues of Kinks (Kevin Gray 50th), Dr John (speakers corner), Bookends (RKS, plus Sony ain't ponying up the tapes), and Byrds (Sundazed Kevin Gray AAA, Sony again).

Jesus there's a wealth of great albums from Feb 1998.

If it's Big Pun I would fucking explode.

EDIT: Nevermind, the month thing fucks it up.

Wow, getting the right listings for February 1998 shows that it's really slim pickings.

NMH is out, so that pretty much leaves Destiny's Child and Pearl Jam "Yield". I don't know if I'd love or hate Yield, but leaning towards hate.

I guess the sadistic part of me wants Train to watch the world burn.

EDIT: Duster is another guess but not too familiar with them - I bet though if I play their top song I'd recognize it.

Last edited:
Kinks’ Village Green in mono is better than stereo so would be nice to get an AAA reissue of that outside of the mono box. Gris Gris also has two pretty solid in print pressings too, but that seems like the most VMP type of pick. Hopefully a more obscure album. The Tropicalia comp is celebrating its 55th next year too.

Kinks’ Village Green in mono is better than stereo so would be nice to get an AAA reissue of that outside of the mono box. Gris Gris also has two pretty solid in print pressings too, but that seems like the most VMP type of pick. Hopefully a more obscure album. The Tropicalia comp is celebrating its 55th next year too.

This is a good point. I forgot about the Kinks mono box cut AAA by Kevin Gray. If they got the Village Green stampers for that one as a ROTM it would be a home run.

I don't think Gris Gris would be MY Dr. John pick, but I'm happy with him getting more love.

I mean it is the biggest Dr John album, that night-tripper stage was wild. But the Speakers Corner version that's in print is great, and the Kevin Gray Jackpot cut from a couple years ago is good too — no need for a VMP reissue IMO

Moon Safari is one of my all time faves but I already own two copies, a black copy for listenin' and a GITD copy for Funzies. It's certainly an essential title though.
I played my gitd copy the other day and thought to myself how much I’d love an audiophile version of Moon Safari. It’s such a great album.

I played my gitd copy the other day and thought to myself how much I’d love an audiophile version of Moon Safari. It’s such a great album.
Yeah, I usually don't hang on to duplicates but the black copy I have sounds excellent I couldn't part with it even after picking up the GITD copy, which sounds alright for a GITD record.

I thought it was widely acknowledged that the next '98 Essentials was likely to be Lauryn, isn't that confirmed as being imminent?

Back