Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Africa Brasil is a highly regarded album, I thought it was a bigger profile album historically than most of what they usually put out as essentials when it was announced. The only thing is Brazilian music isn't most people's cup of tea, especially this demographic apparently. It's in 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die which is a great great book. I'm gonna have fun diversifying my collection and annoying the crap out of my girlfriend with this record

I've seen others posting about this and it just happened to me. I'm on annual subscription since feb 2015 and I just got a "welcome" to the club e-mail.
Is there a consensus about this? Is it just a glitch or something more shady (like artificially increasing new subscriptions numbers)? Should I take off my tin foil hat?

Like many others I've been disillusioned with VMP for quite some time now. Since the Snoop Dogg fiasco I've tried to limit myself to 1 VMP record per month, which so far has been a "healthy distance" because I no longer feel like I'm giving too much money to a crappy company. So far this year I've received Blossom Dearie, Caetano Veloso (swap), De La Soul, Nat Turner Rebellion (I lucked out and received the first batch), Experience Unlimited, Oneness of Juju (swap), and that's it. I'm looking forward to the Jorge Ben (which may very well be my favorite Essentials pick ever) and the upcoming S-K. Most months, there is one album I want from them, so it looks like I'll keep renewing my 3-month plans until the elusive Fiona exclusive finally drops.

I don't know about the discogs prices, but I don't see this one selling out in the coming months. It's not as big as Queen or De La Soul.
Yeah, I know it's definitely not Queen. Just wondering if it'll end up more like the Torres ROTM or something that way more people swap away from than dig it. I kinda want to hear reviews of the pressing before I bite.

Yeah, I know it's definitely not Queen. Just wondering if it'll end up more like the Torres ROTM or something that way more people swap away from than dig it. I kinda want to hear reviews of the pressing before I bite.

Well, it's cheaper than the 2010 Polysom reissue that is the only one pretty much available these days, and we don't know if that one is AAA or not (I think). The album is amazing, if Kevin Gray does his magic with a great digital transfer, it could be really great.

I'm getting Lapsley as my swap this month. She has a nice voice. My wife really likes her sound. Sometimes my Swaptions are strategic to make sure everyone in the house is happy. haha. She loved Feist (as did I) and I thought another woman vocalist would be fun to get.

Has anyone gotten her album? How does the pressing sound?

There are only a couple more albums I would consider as swaptions going forward. The well is running dry.

I'm getting Lapsley as my swap this month. She has a nice voice. My wife really likes her sound. Sometimes my Swaptions are strategic to make sure everyone in the house is happy. haha. She loved Feist (as did I) and I thought another woman vocalist would be fun to get.

There are only a couple more albums I would consider as swaptions going forward. The well is running dry.
I would've just bought her album on discogs. Why pay $20+ when you can pay ~10$ for it there?

I would've just bought her album on discogs. Why pay $20+ when you can pay ~10$ for it there?

It's a great album that a lot of people really enjoyed. But yeah, maybe don't waste the swap when you can find it cheaper.

Looking at the swaptions focusing on female vocals, here's some suggestions.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a killer classic recording. It's eye opening to how long we've been able to make good recordings. It's hard to believe that was possible in the 50's.
I still really like Mitski if you don't have that one already.

Any other categories that might be household pleasers?

Looking at the swaptions focusing on female vocals, here's some suggestions.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a killer classic recording. It's eye opening to how long we've been able to make good recordings. It's hard to believe that was possible in the 50's.
I still really like Mitski if you don't have that one already.

Any other categories that might be household pleasers?
SRT sounds fucking fire.

I do like the Lapsley record, but that Mitski is required listening.

Back