Vinyl Me Please Essentials

First month in years I won't be receiving my VMP ROTMs and it feels good for so many reasons...

To my wallet - You're not off the hook, to celebrate, we're going shopping for vinyl we actually want to own. From now on we're filling holes in the collection rather than making them.

So I purchased...for my first solo three sub ROTMs

Classics - Black Fire LP (Blue Note Tone Poet Series)
Essentials - Thom Yorke, Anima
RHH - Swapped nothing and just purchased Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest, Bill Callahan

Looking at the swaptions focusing on female vocals, here's some suggestions.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a killer classic recording. It's eye opening to how long we've been able to make good recordings. It's hard to believe that was possible in the 50's.
I still really like Mitski if you don't have that one already.

Any other categories that might be household pleasers?

I have both of those and love them! We didn’t get Van Morrison I just remembered. She just went to Ireland. So maybe I’ll grab that!

but its like 10 bucks on discogs
I know, as are most VMP's that have been around for a while. But I'm UK. Getting one from Europe or the UK still comes in around £20-30.
Seen it with a few records I'm desperate for i.e Beck's Odelay, Mitski, Lapsley. Some retain their pricing, Cranberries, Gang of Youths....
All part of the Game!😁

I know, as are most VMP's that have been around for a while. But I'm UK. Getting one from Europe or the UK still comes in around £20-30.
Seen it with a few records I'm desperate for i.e Beck's Odelay, Mitski, Lapsley. Some retain their pricing, Cranberries, Gang of Youths....
All part of the Game!😁

ahhh. didnt check your location. same here.

Looking at the swaptions focusing on female vocals, here's some suggestions.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a killer classic recording. It's eye opening to how long we've been able to make good recordings. It's hard to believe that was possible in the 50's.
I still really like Mitski if you don't have that one already.

Any other categories that might be household pleasers?

Lapsley didn't get a load of great press from the forum. But I have to say I've spun that a lot more than Mitski - Torres - Sister Rosetta - Tennis (i didnt get Tennis 🤣 ) etc if we are just hitting some random female vocalist on the VMP list.
St Vincent certainly rivals it but off the top of my head I cant think of much better from VMP.

I almost am afraid to say this because it could be perceived as some type of sacrilege in the forum....lol I have the Mitski album and there is no denying she is talented.

But I just don't get it. It seems like there is some universal law that people must love Mitski and her album. She's good but people seem to fawn over it all the time. Every review seems to love it, too.

Is there something wrong with me? haha

I almost am afraid to say this because it could be perceived as some type of sacrilege in the forum....lol I have the Mitski album and there is no denying she is talented.

But I just don't get it. It seems like there is some universal law that people must love Mitski and her album. She's good but people seem to fawn over it all the time. Every review seems to love it, too.

It's just not your thing. Not everyone will love everything. It's ok to have your own opinion and own it. You've always approached things respectfully on the forum too, so stand by it.

The only time a differing opinion gets heated is when someone comes in hot saying XYZ is trash and anyone who likes it is an idiot. Equally, we'd all be a-holes if we came at you saying you were lesser for some reason just because it didn't click with you.

ps: We all have our little secrets. I respect Nils Frahm, and would probably even see him live. But I have trouble getting all the way through Spaces.

I feel the same. She's great. I like the vocals, and lyrics and even the structure, but I just don't care for the electronic feel of the songs. I've prefered a couple live solo settings where she's sung them sans all the final production. It's much more raw and I wish that's how the albums came together when they filled it out. JMO

I really like Mitski, especially her previous album, but the one VMP did last year hasn't totally clicked with me yet. There are a lot of moments I really love, but there's a lot of build-up in them that eventually just dies out before it leads to anything that really satisfies me in the way that, for example, the catharsis in "Your Best American Girl" did. I like it, don't love it. Certainly wasn't near the AOTY for me.

You are not alone. I feel the same.

Back