Vinyl Me Please Essentials

If everyone else is reporting the issue, why get a replacement copy that will presumably have the same issues? Get them to re-press fixing the issue, then get a replacement!
Yeah I’m not entirely sure they would do a full repress anymore especially if they don’t receive more than X amount of complaints. If they both suck then my buddies said they would take them. I have the black copy that is nearly perfect but the packaging is quite a bit better on the VMP version so I do want one that is clean.

Yeah I’m not entirely sure they would do a full repress anymore especially if they don’t receive more than X amount of complaints. If they both suck then my buddies said they would take them. I have the black copy that is nearly perfect but the packaging is quite a bit better on the VMP version so I do want one that is clean.
FRANKENCOPY. Put the black discs in the VMP jacket.

Last edited:
While were at it on the Deloused Release - Am I the only one who recognized the not so subtle "you need multiple headshell/cartridge set ups" so you can pair your fish dish with the right white wine advert in the video?

I'm so curious to know what they're doing in their manufacturing process to so frequently have these beginning and end of side crackles. Maybe stacking too many discs when cooling or coming off the stamper too quickly... I have no idea but it's like every single large run has these exact same issues. And yet the small run RHH is almost always perfect.. Maybe using stampers far beyond their lifespan in order to save money and time?
I doubt it is the stampers. But maybe. They are probably using the stampers from the black vinyl run, and they may have picked up some abrasion in transit/handling.

It sounds more like process. It could be in their automation, in sleeving the discs.

But I have to say, I rarely have a problem. I suspect GZ use a formulation for their mold release compound. Colored vinyl is always problematic.

Use Nitty Gritty FirstRV as a pre-cleaner. That has solved just about every issue of this type I have had. It even got an original De-Loused to play reasonably quiet - which was near-impossible.

My rule of thumb on vinyl - if it looks good, it is good. Just need to find the right products and techniques to make it sound as good as it looks.

I doubt it is the stampers. But maybe. They are probably using the stampers from the black vinyl run, and they may have picked up some abrasion in transit/handling.

It sounds more like process. It could be in their automation, in sleeving the discs.

But I have to say, I rarely have a problem. I suspect GZ use a formulation for their mold release compound. Colored vinyl is always problematic.

Use Nitty Gritty FirstRV as a pre-cleaner. That has solved just about every issue of this type I have had. It even got an original De-Loused to play reasonably quiet - which was near-impossible.

My rule of thumb on vinyl - if it looks good, it is good. Just need to find the right products and techniques to make it sound as good as it looks.
If I can find a bottle of that fluid I'll give it a shot. But I've tried multiple fluids and never had any luck with this type of noise. A lot of the GZ end of side crackle is visible on the record in my experience. It usually shows up as kind of a flattened splotch. But the fuzz off the top, yeah it isn't always particularly visible. I'll try anything once, who knows....

If I can find a bottle of that fluid I'll give it a shot. But I've tried multiple fluids and never had any luck with this type of noise. A lot of the GZ end of side crackle is visible on the record in my experience. It usually shows up as kind of a flattened splotch. But the fuzz off the top, yeah it isn't always particularly visible. I'll try anything once, who knows....
I use tergikleen or whatever it’s called (Tergitol surfactant marketed for cleaning vinyl) and clean by hand using a distilled water rinse. It gets rid of all static issues I have and did absolutely nothing for the Mars Volta disc so I chalked it up to a pressing issue yesterday before I requested the replacement. Ymmv

Just checked mine - same issue with the repeating surface noise to start sides A and B.👎🏻 A is slightly worse than B. Seems to fade after a few mins, as others mentioned, but still unacceptable.

I made it 10 seconds into Mars Volta before I realized I would need to take a video of how bad it sounds.

I really hope that they do a press of this with a clean stamp. This pressing sounds awful and, for the money that it costs to use this company, they should be ashamed that this slipped through quality control.

I made it 10 seconds into Mars Volta before I realized I would need to take a video of how bad it sounds.

I really hope that they do a press of this with a clean stamp. This pressing sounds awful and, for the money that it costs to use this company, they should be ashamed that this slipped through quality control.
Nooooo! Really sorry to hear it. All this has really killed my excitement for getting this record, the first one in a very long time since I slowed way down on buying vinyl.

I think we just need to manipulate the Reddit VMP forum into marshalling all their members and pushing for a repress...
I haven't really kept pace with VMP stuff since you grabbed me that Jorge Ben almost two years ago now. Have they ever done an entire re-run for something like this?

I haven't really kept pace with VMP stuff since you grabbed me that Jorge Ben almost two years ago now. Have they ever done an entire re-run for something like this?
Not in a long time.. Last time they repressed a whole run I think was Stars? But that was an exclusive with a small run. Last time they did an entire track run was I think Dilla Donuts? But that was like over five years ago... They definitely don't do it very often but percentage wise this is the most complaints I've ever seen about a single press. I've only seen two people who claim they got clean ones. Probably over 30 at this point who say theirs are bad.

I hate to say it but it’s actually worse than I thought it would be. I emailed for a replacement too.

last time I remember them repressing an entire essentials was the cover for queen, this could merit it though.

Back