Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Not in a long time.. Last time they repressed a whole run I think was Stars? But that was an exclusive with a small run. Last time they did an entire track run was I think Dilla Donuts? But that was like over five years ago... They definitely don't do it very often but percentage wise this is the most complaints I've ever seen about a single press. I've only seen two people who claim they got clean ones. Probably over 30 at this point who say theirs are bad.

Didn't Gorillaz get repressed? 🤔

I made it 10 seconds into Mars Volta before I realized I would need to take a video of how bad it sounds.

I really hope that they do a press of this with a clean stamp. This pressing sounds awful and, for the money that it costs to use this company, they should be ashamed that this slipped through quality control.

Can you share the video? I'm interested to see/hear just how bad it is.

Also, I'll be in Bridgeport/Trumbull this weekend!

Welcome!
I am flying solo with baby boy this weekend. We're gonna get down to all his favorite albums... Meaning I will be listening to a ton of Abba and Devo.

I just tried, apparently my video is in the wrong format for this forum.

But trust me, it's awful.

It honestly sounds like there is a gash or scratch in the record that it is fighting against.
Which reminds me: my Ludacris arrived with said gash which causes extremely loud popping and skipping. That's two out of three records I ordered this month that I have no use for.

The dumb part about this whole thing was that this was supposed to be the start of VMP's "best three months ever", and this, ATLiens and 36 Chambers were likely to make their subscriber numbers increase dramatically. They should've made absolute sure they got it right. To start off with a devastating own-goal like this is just super embarrassing. I hope for their sake (and selfishly mine) they get the next couple of months right.

Well mine arrives tomorrow, I won't be around for a week soooooooo I'm guessing that the shitstorm will be over and we'll all have... credit!?

They really know how to welcome customers back! This is totally my fault for thinking things would change... Still can't wait for the Outkast, Wu Tang and PE so the mixed messages continue!!

Welcome!
I am flying solo with baby boy this weekend. We're gonna get down to all his favorite albums... Meaning I will be listening to a ton of Abba and Devo.

Right on. I haven't been back to CT in a few years. Really just popping in for two days since it's been about the same amount of time since I've seen my father.

Mostly looking forward to a Sunday morning run on the Trumbull Valley

Well, to the surprise of exactly no one, my copy of DeLoused has arrived and yes it has the side A and B noise, it's also warped, but like... DUH. Anyhow, the noise is quite loud for the first about 10 seconds of music on each side, then it dissipates and is pretty much gone entirely within about 45 seconds. So it's not acceptable, but so far the album is at least listenable for the most part. I've cleaned it on my RCM once, will try again a few more times just to see. But I don't expect it'll fix anything. I told CS that this disc should absolutely be repressed if the current percentage of bad copies vs good copies holds. Because it's about 90%-10% bad to good from my very unscientific count. They said they are monitoring it, FWIW.

EDIT: Second cleaning didn't change anything, as expected. I will say the package is really nice, the jacket is fantastic. And in general it sounds about as good as I can imagine this recording ever sounding. I'm actually surprised at how much detail they managed to pull out of it. So if you can get a clean one, it's real nice.

EDIT EDIT- And side 3 there are pops and crackle throughout the entire quiet part so that's pretty awesome too.

Last edited:
Well, to the surprise of exactly no one, my copy of DeLoused has arrived and yes it has the side A and B noise, it's also warped, but like... DUH. Anyhow, the noise is quite loud for the first about 10 seconds of music on each side, then it dissipates and it pretty much gone entirely within about 45 seconds. So it's not acceptable, but so far the album is at least listenable for the most part. I've cleaned it on my RCM once, will try again a few more times just to see. But I don't expect it'll fix anything. I told CS that this disc should absolutely be repressed if the current percentage of bad copies vs good copies holds. Because it's about 90%-10% bad to good from my very unscientific count. They said they are monitoring it, FWIW.
Glad I'm in the 10% camp 😆

Try putting it in YouTube unlisted
I tried to share the video but can’t upload any.
Unfortunately, trying to put it on YouTube for me is sort of like saying “maybe a tiktok?” 😂 I hope you all get good copies. My replacement is on the way

Just received my copy as well. I've wanted this on vinyl since I first started collecting in 2005, and I'm afraid to put it on the table. Sheesh, this is not what this hobby is supposed to be.
I was afraid to play mine too but it's the only way to know if a replacement will be needed. Perhaps you'll luck out like I did. 🤞

Just received my copy as well. I've wanted this on vinyl since I first started collecting in 2005, and I'm afraid to put it on the table. Sheesh, this is not what this hobby is supposed to be.
Bro, you're killing me.... if you don't immediately tell me whether you got a good one or not I'm swear I'm going to crawl down this phone line and slap you.

Bro, you're killing me.... if you don't immediately tell me whether you got a good one or not I'm swear I'm going to crawl down this phone line and slap you.
Hahaha. When I first put it on I heard quite a bit of surface noise in just the one channel, but when everything gets loud I couldn't hear it anymore. But I'm having some troubles with my table's motor right now so I didn't listen past track 2, haha. So, so far unclear.

Hahaha. When I first put it on I heard quite a bit of surface noise in just the one channel, but when everything gets loud I couldn't hear it anymore. But I'm having some troubles with my table's motor right now so I didn't listen past track 2, haha. So, so far unclear.
Yeah that sounds about the same as mine. Right channel. You'll likely find the same thing on side two. Then 3 and 4 will likely be okay.

OK, so I have double cleaned mine - IMO gold standard, FirstRV followed by Pure2, and the fact is, the noise on side 1 at the start is there. It isn't going to go away. Left channel through headphones. Doesn't last long, but it is intrusive.

This is a pressing/manufacturing issue, not a stamper issue.

Side 2 starts out noisy too. Same, left channel.

So...for the first time, I have finally joined the club and found a defective VMP pressing.

Nice package though. I do like the original cover better, and aside from the defect, it sounds fabulous - light years better than an original. In fact, despite the defects, it is still quieter than an original can ever be.

The 'art print' is not really impressive, but I guess they wanted to show the artists, which otherwise are not pictured.

Back