Vinyl Me Please Essentials

That is very strange, I would try the chat again? It definitely usually doesn't take that long. Maybe mention you didn't get a confirmation email?

It's been strange from the start because I know they're usually decently quick with responses (at least over the last while). I decided to send it again using the web form - I figure if I never got a receipt email, they probably never even got my request.

It's been strange from the start because I know they're usually decently quick with responses (at least over the last while). I decided to send it again using the web form - I figure if I never got a receipt email, they probably never even got my request.
Did you get a auto response this time?

So just for fun & learning, I discovered another GZ-related end-of side static burst. This time on a black record and it's quite visible.

To be clear, this time it's NON-VMP, so the issue is definitely more GZ than anything, like @Mather has been saying.

Anyway, looks like non-fill right? Oddly, it's not audible until the very end of the side for 1-2 revolutions and into the run-out so it's not too bad. My stylus is pretty sensitive but I'm sure people with higher end systems would hear it more prominently (and I didn't try with headphones). I do wonder what the hell they're going for this kind of defect to keep happening. Their pressings have actually not been that bad lately for me otherwise.

IMG_1491.JPG

So just for fun & learning, I discovered another GZ-related end-of side static burst. This time on a black record and it's quite visible.

To be clear, this time it's NON-VMP, so the issue is definitely more GZ than anything, like @Mather has been saying.

Anyway, looks like non-fill right? Oddly, it's not audible until the very end of the side for 1-2 revolutions and into the run-out so it's not too bad. My stylus is pretty sensitive but I'm sure people with higher end systems would hear it more prominently (and I didn't try with headphones). I do wonder what the hell they're going for this kind of defect to keep happening. Their pressings have actually not been that bad lately for me otherwise.

View attachment 100200
Oh yes, that's the look. I cannot count how many GZ presses records I have in my "to PIF or sell or burn in effigy" pile that have that on them, reams of them. But yeah it's much harder to see on colored vinyl and like you said YMMV in terms of what cart you're running. If I swap to my Bronze the noise will lessen to a degree so how bad it is would definitely depend on what type of cart you're running. But yeah I still don't know what it actually is. I don't think it's actually no fill, it sounds different and like you said despite that huge mark it sometimes doesn't actually show up until the final few revolutions of a song... but I have no clue what it is.

Last edited:
Darkside for me is perfectly flat and sounds great

Only real issue is some very small ticks but I'm used to a small tick or scratch on an LP because of record sleeves and delivery (yeah there are a good amount of pops but not enough to destroy the sound.. the soundscapes are very forgiving and I dunno which is intentional and which are not)

Also I didn't realize that I had side 1 set to 33 because it still sounded great beyond some weird vocals which I just assumed were part of the aesthetic (and made me want some vaporwave)

Either I got super lucky or the 2M blue is very forgiving

And seeing as I was able to play a basically dished record on it

I'm going with the latter

Similar to my first two?

Was yours the static burst issue both times? Did you get any "passable" record in any of your copies? Just asking in case we could Frankenstein a decent copy at some point (but right now I can't because both my discs are bad). On a positive note, the packaging I got is flawless if ever I get a seam split or dinged corners with the replacement.

Was yours the static burst issue both times? Did you get any "passable" record in any of your copies? Just asking in case we could Frankenstein a decent copy at some point (but right now I can't because both my discs are bad). On a positive note, the packaging I got is flawless if ever I get a seam split or dinged corners with the replacement.
First copy is just non stop fuzz and crackle across sides one and two and end of side crackle on 3. Second copy is several minutes of fuzz and crackle on one and two and end of side crackle on side 3... So I don't think I have a single good disc yet....

My OG has zero fuzz and crackle, but it's scuffed and has got pops. But so far it's way better than either of these copies I've gotten from VMP...

Last edited:
Per reddit:
Per Storf: "for free for you to bring back to Reddit, Essentials will have one of the albums in our top 5 most requested ROTMs ever.

Per VMP:

So given those hourglass posts a few weeks ago, Deloused has gotta be the front runner. Which I'm cool with because I was not willing to pay those Cloud Hill prices. Could also be Channel Orange. They've mentioned before that they tried (and were close iirc) to getting that in the past. I'd be super psyched if it were Frank., I'm betting on Mars Volta though.

Last edited:
Back