Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Side one of Darkside is an absolute distaster of crackle and fuzz. And not the intentional stuff on the song, this is really really bad. Checked against the digital just to be sure, boy I hope they aren't all like this...
My copy is good if that's what you mean by all. If you mean all of yours. I dunno. Probably?

New phone. Who dis?
I'm really sorry about the head injury you suffered falling into that dumpster last week, the doctors warned me that short term memory loss may occur. This is Mather, you were going to send me your clean copy of Darkside in exchange for this shiny Arby's coupon.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry about the head injury you suffered falling into that dumpster last week, the doctors warned me this sort term memory loss may occur. This is Mather, you were going to send me your clean copy of Darkside in exchange for this shiny Arby's coupon.
Makes sense. My long term memory tells me I love playing around dumpsters, so that checks.

My even longer term memory tells me that "Everything is nothing. Eat Arby's".

Hopefully the exchange rate from Canadian Horsey Sauce to U.S. Horsey Sauce favors me. Everything comin' up LDB!

Makes sense. My long term memory tells me I love playing around dumpsters, so that checks.

My even longer term memory tells me that "Everything is nothing. Eat Arby's".

Hopefully the exchange rate from Canadian Horsey Sauce to U.S. Horsey Sauce favors me. Everything comin' up LDB!
Yessss YESSSSSS now you see... now....

-waves expired Arby's coupon-

GIMME

-makes grabby hands-

Yessss YESSSSSS now you see... now....

-waves expired Arby's coupon-

GIMME

-makes grabby hands-
BTW, was it you who was talking about the standard black vinyl (also 45RPM) when this was announced and how it was already really good? It may have been someone else.

If so, how does it compare - putting aside what seems to be a bad pressing for you - sound-wise? I'd be curious as the non-VMP goes for ~$25 in the U.S.

BTW, was it you who was talking about the standard black vinyl (also 45RPM) when this was announced and how it was already really good? It may have been someone else.

If so, how does it compare - putting aside what seems to be a bad pressing for you - sound-wise? I'd be curious as the non-VMP goes for ~$25 in the U.S.
It was me, and yeah honestly it's close between the two, the VMP seems to have added some bass and maybe removed a little vocal sibilance but in general I think the OG master is better. More presence, attack and imaging. If you can get a flat non poppy OG I'd do that personally. The VMP master is very close, certainly not bad by any means, just not quite there with the OG.
And then yeah, disc 1 is a mess of unintended crackle and fuzz, including the patented GZ end of side crackle on 2 of the four sides... So that's always fun. Disc two is good though for the most part...

My copy of Darkside sounds MASSIVE. I hadn't heard the album before, so I did have to stream the first song once to make sure I was hearing intentional distortion. I had the same issue the first time I spun the first Billie Eilish LP.

Darkside does have the crackle on the runout groove that Mather mentioned, but that honestly does not bother me. YMMV.

My copy of Darkside sounds MASSIVE. I hadn't heard the album before, so I did have to stream the first song once to make sure I was hearing intentional distortion. I had the same issue the first time I spun the first Billie Eilish LP.

Darkside does have the crackle on the runout groove that Mather mentioned, but that honestly does not bother me. YMMV.
Don't a lot (most) albums have some degree of crackle on the run out groove? There's no music there.

Surely @Mather you don't mean there?

And yes mine sounds massive. I had to turn my sub the fuck down for that first track

Don't a lot (most) albums have some degree of crackle on the run out groove? There's no music there.

Surely @Mather you don't mean there?

And yes mine sounds massive. I had to turn my sub the fuck down for that first track
No, I mean at the tail end of the song the repetitive crackle will kick in once every revolution until the song ends. A common GZ issue. But with mine disc one is just non stop fuzz and crackle throughout both sides, and not the intentional distortion, just a effed up press. Disc 2 is fine...

Last edited:
No, I mean at the tail end of the song the repetitive crackle will kick in once every revolution until the song ends. A common GZ issue. But with mine disc one is not non stop fuzz and crackle throughout both sides, and not the intentional distortion, just a effed up press. Disc 2 is fine...
Oh ok. I thought I was particular but that would be crazy.

Oh ok. I thought I was particular but that would be crazy.
Yeah no, run in and out or between song crackle? That's fine obviously. But it's the repetitive crackle that slowly kicks in about 20 seconds from the end of a song at the end of a side that's just brutal. It's mostly GZ I find that has that problem. I have no idea what they're doing to cause it, but it definitely happens a fair bit with them...

No, I mean at the tail end of the song the repetitive crackle will kick in once every revolution until the song ends. A common GZ issue. But with mine disc one is not non stop fuzz and crackle throughout both sides, and not the intentional distortion, just a effed up press. Disc 2 is fine...
Ah, I misunderstood. I do not seem to have obtrusive crackle on my copy.

Yeah no, run in and out or between song crackle? That's fine obviously. But it's the repetitive crackle that slowly kicks in about 20 seconds from the end of a song at the end of a side that's just brutal. It's mostly GZ I find that has that problem. I have no idea what they're doing to cause it, but it definitely happens a fair bit with them...
Stupid question perhaps, but do you know of any correlation of this with printed/paper sleeves?

Stupid question perhaps, but do you know of any correlation of this with printed/paper sleeves?
I've definitely had lots of pops and scuffs as a result of paper sleeves. But this isn't that. This sort of crackle and fuzz across two whole sides is a pressing thing for sure. I checked against both the digital stream and my OG.

Other than the scratch I have throughout most of B1, I actually have that repetitive crackle though at least the last minute or two of side C. It's loud and very prominent - but nothing is visible on the record itself. Seemed to be coming out of the right channel mostly. Anyway, I already asked for a replacement because of the scratch. Did you already get a response from them? I haven't heard anything since Friday (but not too concerned yet since it's the weekend).

When I get problems because of paper sleeves, they're usually visible on the record. Like little hairline scratches or these hairline scribbles. While I always move the records to rice-paper sleeves, in my experience the printed inners are less problematic than the cheap paper sleeves with the center holes. The black paper inners have especially given me problems lately - not sure why other than maybe the paper used by whoever is making these seems a little rougher than the usual white ones (which are already not that great).

Back