Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Ok I’m not at all familiar with this Darkside album and I know Nicolas Jaar uses a lot of analog noise in his recordings. Is all of the cracks and distortion part of the recording? Or did I get a real crappy copy so far? The music sounds great but it sounds like a terrible pressing at times. I went in blind so I’ll have to check the digital version real quick.

Ok I’m not at all familiar with this Darkside album and I know Nicolas Jaar uses a lot of analog noise in his recordings. Is all of the cracks and distortion part of the recording? Or did I get a real crappy copy so far? The music sounds great but it sounds like a terrible pressing at times. I went in blind so I’ll have to check the digital version real quick.
I recently picked up a non-VMP version and my copy sounds great. You may wanna stream the album and compare it that way.

There's a lot of crackle and fuzz on the actual album. But stream it and compare, because there more than certainly could be added crackle and fuzz on the GZ pressing.

There's a lot of crackle and fuzz on the actual album. But stream it and compare, because there more than certainly could be added crackle and fuzz on the GZ pressing.
Yeah there’s definitely more crackle and distortion on my disc than what’s actually in the recording, just comparing the first song to the digital stream. Pretty disappointed but I still have to clean it. Hopefully that clears up a lot of the issue. I’m just impatient ha! It’ll be interesting to see if it’s a wide problem or not.

Yeah there’s definitely more crackle and distortion on my disc than what’s actually in the recording, just comparing the first song to the digital stream. Pretty disappointed but I still have to clean it. Hopefully that clears up a lot of the issue. I’m just impatient ha! It’ll be interesting to see if it’s a wide problem or not.
Ohhhhhh, I'm sure it'll be a wide problem...

i do like how the artwork was now a poster.. but it didn't look like a premium package

(and why is the slot for the LPs on the top... where the dust would collect unless you had a sleeve)

Mine has an audible 2" hairline scratch through the entirety of B1. Asked for a replacement. But sounded pretty good otherwise. There's crackle, but I didn't really notice if it's more than there is supposed to be... sort of suits the record in this case, LOL. But the repetitive click of a scratch does not.

i do like how the artwork was now a poster.. but it didn't look like a premium package

(and why is the slot for the LPs on the top... where the dust would collect unless you had a sleeve)
It comes with a sleeve. And even if it didn't most of us would put a sleeve. And since the OBI has the name you can even reorientate in the sleeve if you want the slot facing back

Do most people not have the sleeve opening on the top? Am I crazy?
Ok, so, yes, standard sleeves on top (that was my oversight in thinking it through). But there are resealable sleeves - quite like the one already provided.

Now, I know from past discussions some people don't keep the VMP ones (although I think people who were likely to discard something, were more likely to discard the OBI, if something).

So if a person doesn't like to use the provided resealable and they only have sleeves that open on top - then one can turn the jacket (dimensions are the same all around) and have the slot face normal. The OBI will provide info as to artist/title.

If a person discards the resealable sleeve AND OBI then I guess they can take comfort in the fact that a record in a shelf will probably get minimal dust and the records are (probably) in a poly sleeve anyway (or at least in the printed inners provided).

If none of these things assuage the anxiety from the onslaught of dust attacking one's copy Darkside from all angles then there is always the sterilized bubble option, which both listener and records can occupy.

I guess what I'm saying - with just a smidge of sarcasm - is I think it's a non-issue to begin with. Honestly, I kinda like the top open as a change of pace (usually only see it on 12" singles).

BTW, standard pressings open like that?

Side one of Darkside is an absolute disaster of crackle and fuzz. And not the intentional stuff on the song, this is really really bad. Checked against the digital just to be sure, boy I hope they aren't all like this...

Last edited:
Back