Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Really disappointed in the pick of the Doors. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I’m just not a fan. I had a bad feeling when they announced Classic Rock it would be the doors. June will definitely be a swap for essentials for me. That record will get zero spins

What are you not a fan of? Of the band as a whole? Or that album specifically? The music? The lyrics? Their legacy?

I always find The Doors are a band that every adolescent stoner boy loves, but as you grow up you grow out of. They were one of my favourites when I was 16, but as a middle-aged man, I'm just kind of meh about them. I still have nostalgic feelings for some of their songs, and I still think the music is great, but I find Jim Morrison's lyrics to just be juvenile, drug-addled nonsense that make them tough to listen to.

That said, IMO, this is probably one of the more "essential" Essentials.

Last edited:
What are you not a fan of? Of the band as a whole? Or that album specifically? The music? The lyrics? Their legacy?

I always find The Doors are a bad that every adolescent stoner boy loves, but as you grow up you grow out of. They were one of my favourites when I was 16, but as a middle-aged man, I'm just kind of meh about them. I still have nostalgic feelings for some of their songs, and I still think the music is great, but I find Jim Morrison's lyrics to just be juvenile, drug-addled nonsense that make them tough to listen to.

That said, IMO, this is probably one of the more "essential" Essentials.
I’m not sure I can put my finger on it. I listened to them a bit in high school and college, but never really loved them. Now, if I’m ever listening to the radio and the Doors come on it just triggers a negative reaction and it’s instant flip. It’s probably Morrison more than anything that drives me nuts. I actually don’t disagree that it is “essential”. Not everyone is going to like every “essential” record, which is fine.

In some good news, my March box finally showed up with one whole day in the month to spare

I'm honestly really surprised that The Doors is having mixed reactions.

I have never been into the group (I couldn't even name a song of theirs) but even as an outsider to their music I assumed that they would be classed as an 'Essential' group. By that I mean I'm not surprised when I see them on 'best of' lists ect.

As I've gotten older, I tend to tune out Jim's lyrics (and I am definitely a lyrics guy) and just listen to the band/vibe. The Doors are a very unique-sounding band in most respects. At least, I've never heard another band that sounds like The Doors (although Screaming Trees had a similar vibe at times, IMO).
I mean, you need to consider Jim was about 21/22 when he was writing most the lyrics for that album. I hate to think what absolute shit I was peddling when I was 22!

As I've gotten older, I tend to tune out Jim's lyrics (and I am definitely a lyrics guy) and just listen to the band/vibe. The Doors are a very unique-sounding band in most respects. At least, I've never heard another band that sounds like The Doors (although Screaming Trees had a similar vibe at times, IMO).
I’m right there with you. I’m less impressed by Jim’s lyrics the more time passes. I also think his poetry is pretty bad. But the whole vibe and soul of the band is so... strange and unique. And the weird lyrics definitely add to it, as imperfect as they are.

I'm honestly really surprised that The Doors is having mixed reactions.

I have never been into the group (I couldn't even name a song of theirs) but even as an outsider to their music I assumed that they would be classed as an 'Essential' group. By that I mean I'm not surprised when I see them on 'best of' lists ect.

There's a time and a place for the Doors.

It's called being a teenager.

I mean, you need to consider Jim was about 21/22 when he was writing most the lyrics for that album. I hate to think what absolute shit I was peddling when I was 22!

I don’t think that even your most audacious pulling attempts, because face what else do 22 year old men peddle shit for, get endlessly feted as poetry by boring goons who really just need to get over it

I don’t think that even your most audacious pulling attempts, because face what else do 22 year old men peddle shit for, get endlessly feted as poetry by boring goons who really just need to get over it
I'm inclined to give him a bit of a pass though. Firstly when I was getting twatted on Red Stripe and LCL I wasn't at the forefront of counter culture. I was just on the piss. and as heady as the watered down pints of Carling I'd go for in my youth were I'd be lying if I said they were quite on par with the sort of stuff Jim et al were consuming then. In fact if I could mumble 'can I have a kebab please?' that was progress, let alone quoting Huxley. Secondly... I'm from Newcastle. Quoting poetry in pubs here back in the 90's was just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to give him a bit of a pass though. Firstly when I was getting twatted on Red Stripe and LCL I wasn't at the forefront of counter culture. I was just on the piss. and as heady as the watered down pints of Carling I'd go for in my youth was I'd be lying if I said they were quite on par with the sort of stuff Jim et al was consuming then. In fact if I could mumble 'can I have a kebab please?' that was progress, let alone quoting Huxley. Secondly... I'm from Newcastle. Quoting poetry in pubs here back in the 90's was just asking for trouble.

Oh the 90s night out. I only came in at the end of it but then I imagine Mansfield was at least 10 years behind Newcastle! Moving away to uni was a blessed relief from the fear when leaving the club or getting a kebab that the lads who liked a fight at the end of the night might look in your direction...

Arguably the greatest American rock 'n roll band that ever was, with arguably the greatest front man/lead singer. I can see some people being rubbed the wrong way by Jim but what a great voice and a great band with so many great songs. Easily one of the top 10 debut albumin rock history. To each his own, they are in the top tier of classic rock bands.

There's a time and a place for the Doors.

It's called being a teenager.
Yup, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix and Pink Floyd are basically the Classic Rock starter kit, and rightfully so. I grew out of The Doors for the most part but they were probably my favorite of the four when I was starting out.

Oh the 90s night out. I only came in at the end of it but then I imagine Mansfield was at least 10 years behind Newcastle! Moving away to uni was a blessed relief from the fear when leaving the club or getting a kebab that the lads who liked a fight at the end of the night might look in your direction...
Newcastle was ridiculous in the 90s. They used to put 2 bottles of lager for a pound vouchers on the back of school bus tickets. I'm not kidding. Every Monday in 1996-1998 we used to take a weeks worth of scholars bus tickets to a pub called Macy's in the Bigg Market and get absolutely smashed. Then we'd all be hung over as fuck in History the next morning. I remember one of my mates puking in his Physics class after one Monday Night special. It was wild!

Now I spend my days hanging out with a mad border collie while listening to some long dead 60's icon reciting piss poor poetry while being acutely aware that I'm 15 years older now than he was when he died. Honestly, I'm happy to give him some leeway for his slightly iffy 'philosophical' lyrics.

LA Woman is a great album ... closing out with Riders on the Storm is a perfect epitaph...I love the Doors myself but they have been continually reissued so the VMP is a bit less exciting .. but that is a phenomenal debut album ..The End is a stormer ..and you’ve also got the Apocalypse Now connection so it’s a cultural must have ...

Absolutely Live is a belter too ...

Last edited:
The thing about the doors for me is that I didn't understand it when it was hyped so much in the original release

I think the mono might change my opinion because one thing I learned I hate is hard panning of instruments (I prefer stereo, but only if it's not hard panned like say early Beatles albums, mono it all except for the remixes from Giles)

Back