Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Well that’s weird. I was flirting with the idea of signing back up to VMP for a month to get the Freddie Gibbs release but I hadn’t yet signed up. Today I received an invoice from both VMP and PayPal stating I signed up for a “One month International-new” membership and was charged $33. When I login to my VMP account it doesn’t show that I am currently a member nor does it list any recent or outstanding orders. I am very confused. I mean, I would gladly keep the monthly membership at $33 depending on what record I was getting but at this point it just looks like VMP is randomly changing me for things. Not a great look on their part. I emailed em we will see what they have to say. If nothing else I can dispute the charge with PayPal. Still pretty strange though.
It looks like all Add-On Tracks are getting billed as "1 Month International New" but with the correct $33 cost for domestic Add-Ons (that's how mine was billed). I wonder if it's causing glitches for other invoice/membership types and previous customers, too.

Did you have an add on track? My membership was set to expire in mid January earlier this year, and I had an add on track that I swapped for a Fiona Apple LP. The main track wasn’t processed but the add on was, which customer service said was a mistake but let me keep. My invoice looked like a $33 one month international charge.
The problem is, Signed up 2 months ago for a single month and no add ons. I wasn’t billed last month at all but now I have a charge. Still waiting to hear back. We shall see.

The problem is, Signed up 2 months ago for a single month and no add ons. I wasn’t billed last month at all but now I have a charge. Still waiting to hear back. We shall see.
Mine looks like it correlates to the add-on for Kala on my account, but I've never seen an add-on billed in this particular way, plus it's just inaccurate. I don't think I'm out any unexpected funds, at least.

Spinning my early mono pressing Doors self titled. It’s really not great sounding, not gonna lie. I’m going to chalk it up to it not being a good recording in the first place. It’s pretty muddy sounding though some songs sound alright. Break on Through is quite punchy. Does anyone have the 50th anniversary release that we are getting? I’ve never heard the AP stereo though so that might be the definitive sounding.

Spinning my early mono pressing Doors self titled. It’s really not great sounding, not gonna lie. I’m going to chalk it up to it not being a good recording in the first place. It’s pretty muddy sounding though some songs sound alright. Break on Through is quite punchy. Does anyone have the 50th anniversary release that we are getting? I’ve never heard the AP stereo though so that might be the definitive sounding.
I have the AP 45 stereo. I've heard it's the best out there but honestly it still isn't a great sounding record. It's just the quality of the original recording. It's kinda muddy. By all accounts the AP is the best available version but honestly it. pales in comparison to LA Woman or Morrison Hotel in terms of sound quality...

It looks like all Add-On Tracks are getting billed as "1 Month International New" but with the correct $33 cost for domestic Add-Ons (that's how mine was billed). I wonder if it's causing glitches for other invoice/membership types and previous customers, too.
I’m international and my add-ons are billed as ‘US New’ $33. 😄

Well that’s weird. I was flirting with the idea of signing back up to VMP for a month to get the Freddie Gibbs release but I hadn’t yet signed up. Today I received an invoice from both VMP and PayPal stating I signed up for a “One month International-new” membership and was charged $33. When I login to my VMP account it doesn’t show that I am currently a member nor does it list any recent or outstanding orders. I am very confused. I mean, I would gladly keep the monthly membership at $33 depending on what record I was getting but at this point it just looks like VMP is randomly changing me for things. Not a great look on their part. I emailed em we will see what they have to say. If nothing else I can dispute the charge with PayPal. Still pretty strange though.
Alright so CS got back to me. Some how I managed to add Freddie Gibbs as an “add on” track though I am not signed up for any main tracks. Strange, but I am fine with getting the Str8 Killa for $33 so I am just gonna let this play out and see what happens.

Top 10 American rock bands (kind of in order):
  1. Talking Heads
  2. Steely Dan (if they count as a “band”)
  3. R.E.M. (if they count as classic rock)
  4. The Velvet Underground (ditto)
  5. The Band
  6. Ramones (if punk counts)
  7. Guns N’ Roses (they absolutely count)
  8. Blondie
If grunge counts, then I’d round up my list with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Otherwise, I’d go with two out of the Stooges (though they’re not classic rock-y at all), CCR... ah what the heck, Aerosmith or Kiss.

Sly and P-Funk would probably make the list if they count, but I usually label them as “funk” rather than “rock.”

I’m also disqualifying Fleetwood Mac because of its British origins. And Metallica is metal, otherwise they’d rank in the top 5.

The Doors would probably be in the next tier, with Tom Petty and others.

I’ll happily take recommendations for Beach Boys albums beyond Pet Sounds, which to me is just “fine.”

1. Talking Heads
  5. The Band
  8. Blondie
If grunge counts, then I’d round up my list with Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Otherwise, I’d go with two out of the Stooges (though they’re not classic rock-y at all), CCR... ah what the heck, Aerosmith or Kiss.

Sly and P-Funk would probably make the list if they count, but I usually label them as “funk” rather than “rock.”

I’m also disqualifying Fleetwood Mac because of its British origins. And Metallica is metal, otherwise they’d rank in the top 5.

I’ll happily take recommendations for Beach Boys albums beyond Pet Sounds, which to me is just “fine.”
I love Talking Heads!!! 😍😍😍

1. Talking Heads
  5. The Band
  8. Blondie

The Band are Canadian...

Mostly. Levon was American. But yeah I don't know that I'd call them American.

I know, it was more that if you’re going to cancel out Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac because of their roots and the three British members then I don’t think you can co opt The Band onto the same list because of Levon.

Edit: My hot take would be that there isn’t a great American classic rock band. The Beach Boys are pop and the great American rock acts are either solo or aren’t classic rock.

I know, it was more that if you’re going to cancel out Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac because of their roots and the three British members then I don’t think you can co opt The Band onto the same list because of Levon.
Agreed.
Don't take our Canadian things.
Those are our things.
We don't have as many of them as you so let us have ours dammit...

Edit: My hot take would be that there isn’t a great American classic rock band. The Beach Boys are pop and the great American rock acts are either solo or aren’t classic rock.
We’d like to have a word with you

1853AEEA-8959-4836-B52D-761DFC5B4489.gif
Mostly kidding. I just really wanted to use the this gif

1. Talking Heads
  5. The Band
  8. Blondie

You're missing #1.

The good ol' Grateful Dead.

And the Band were 4/5 Canadian

The
  1. Talking Heads
  5. The Band
  8. Blondie

Yes Talking Heads everyone loves.....but they werent bigger than The Doors. Doors are probably top ten classic rock bands (British and us combined) in terms of legacy along with The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Pink Floyd, Hendrix Experience, and a few others (arguably the Dead, CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles)

Back