Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Well that’s weird. I was flirting with the idea of signing back up to VMP for a month to get the Freddie Gibbs release but I hadn’t yet signed up. Today I received an invoice from both VMP and PayPal stating I signed up for a “One month International-new” membership and was charged $33. When I login to my VMP account it doesn’t show that I am currently a member nor does it list any recent or outstanding orders. I am very confused. I mean, I would gladly keep the monthly membership at $33 depending on what record I was getting but at this point it just looks like VMP is randomly changing me for things. Not a great look on their part. I emailed em we will see what they have to say. If nothing else I can dispute the charge with PayPal. Still pretty strange though.

Last edited:
There's a time and a place for the Doors.

It's called being a teenager.

i grew out of The Doors for the most part but they were probably my favorite of the four when I was starting out.
I’m not sure I understand this.
So you are admitting that, at some point in the past you were into them...but now you know that was “wrong” or it’s beneath you?
That’s how I’m reading this and maybe I’m wrong to do so. It would not be the first time I’ve been wrong and it won’t be the last.

But if I’m right, I mean I loved Cinderella’s Long Cold Winter when I was kid/teenager.
Do I listen to it regularly now? No.
Do I recognize they aren’t the most musically complex or modern day equivalent of what a “cool” music fan admits to having an affection for? Yes.
Do I own a Mint OG/first press that gets spun at 1 am when I’m 6 beers in or high as fuck and feeling nostalgic? You’re goddam right I do.

I guess, for me, if I can’t admit who I was and how I got here (musically or otherwise) I can’t really say I’m comfortable with who I am now.
There should be no shame adding something to the collection that used to make you happy, especially if it might help you get back there even if only occasionally.

For me, it’s better to throw on the Doors or Cinderella and revel in what others might think I should be ashamed of than it is to feel diminished by people finding this kind of thing out about me.

‘But I’m the same guy who you might catch singing full throatedly to Sister Christian at a stop light.
So maybe my shame-trigger needs a repair.
“You’re MOTORIN’!!!”

Last edited:
So you are admitting that, at some point in the past you were into them...but now you know that was “wrong” or it’s beneath you?
Nope, I admitted that when I first getting into Classic Rock The Doors were perfect for that time and place in my life. There are many things that I enjoyed as a younger man that no longer bring me satisfaction and vice versa. This seems like a pretty normal evolution in taste.

EDIT: I enjoyed Sunny Delight as a kid. Now, I don’t hate it but I am not gonna seek it out either.

Nope, I admitted that when I first getting into Classic Rock The Doors were perfect for that time and place in my life. There are many things that I enjoyed as a younger man that no longer bring me satisfaction and vice versa. This seems like a pretty normal evolution in taste.
I bet, in some circumstance, even if it’s just one and rare, we could get you groovin to LA Woman again.

Oh yeah, they are good for what they are. I think you are equating The Door not eliciting joy with actively disdaining them They just don’t light my fire in the same way they once did.

Yah, they give me some nostalgia feels. And I took flowers to Morrison's grave, so I'm certainly not shitting on them. In fact, I think EVERY teenager should listen to them!

I just eventually got into different stuff.

Well that’s weird. I was flirting with the idea of signing back up to VMP for a month to get the Freddie Gibbs release but I hadn’t yet signed up. Today I received an invoice from both VMP and PayPal stating I signed up for a “One month International-new” membership and was charged $33. When I login to my VMP account it doesn’t show that I am currently a member nor does it list any recent or outstanding orders. I am very confused. I mean, I would gladly keep the monthly membership at $33 depending on what record I was getting but at this point it just looks like VMP is randomly changing me for things. Not a great look on their part. I emailed em we will see what they have to say. If nothing else I can dispute the charge with PayPal. Still pretty strange though.
Errr... I got the same charge/email and I am currently a member... Fucking hell VMP.

EDIT: I enjoyed Sunny Delight as a kid. Now, I don’t hate it but I am not gonna seek it out either.
Fair. but if someone handed you a Sunny Delight you woudn’t reject because its something you drank as a kid. Maybe b/c your old man diabetes wont let you have it or some other reason, like you already have an open beer, but not just because its a “kiddy” beverage.

I’m not sure I understand this.
That’s how I’m reading this and maybe I’m wrong to do so. It would not be the first time I’ve been wrong and it won’t be the last.

But if I’m right, I mean I loved Cinderella’s Long Cold Winter when I was kid/teenager.
Do I listen to it regularly now? No.
Do I recognize they aren’t the most musically complex or modern day equivalent of what a “cool” music fan admits to having an affection for? Yes.
Do I own a Mint OG/first press that gets spun at 1 am when I’m 6 beers in or high as fuck and feeling nostalgic? Your goddam right I do.

I guess, for me, if I can’t admit who I was and how I got here (musically or otherwise) I can’t really say I’m comfortable with who I am now.
There should be no shame adding something to the collection that used to make you happy, especially if it might help you get back there even if only occasionally.

For me, it’s better to throw on the Doors or Cinderella and revel in what others might think I should be ashamed of than it is to feel diminished by people finding this kind of thing out about me.

‘But I’m the same guy who you might catch singing full throatedly to Sister Christian at a stop light.
So maybe my shame-trigger needs a repair.
“You’re MOTORIN’!!!”
I have the exact same relationship with Long Cold Winter...

Fair. but if someone handed you a Sunny Delight you woudn’t reject because its something you drank as a kid. Maybe b/c your old man diabetes wont let you have it or some other reason, like you already have an open beer, but not just because its a “kiddy” beverage.
Kinda, like The fact that I enjoyed it as a kid or that kids enjoyed it has no bearing on why I don’t enjoy it now. It’s just my taste has changed. Like I used to enjoy the sugary artificial taste but as a grown up my taste palate does not find that concoction enjoyable. I used to think beer tasted terrible and hated Jazz music too as a kid. That too has changed. I am not saying it’s better or worse just different.

I listened to the mono mix of The Doors debut on Spotify earlier and... I’m not sure I liked it. Not sure how similar/different VMP’s version will sound though.

The organ was hard to hear on several tracks, which I found annoying.
Said it early. If its the mono that rhino did a few years back then its not the best... Although better than the strange days mono which is pure shit. A big muddy bundle of shit

Did you have an add on track? My membership was set to expire in mid January earlier this year, and I had an add on track that I swapped for a Fiona Apple LP. The main track wasn’t processed but the add on was, which customer service said was a mistake but let me keep. My invoice looked like a $33 one month international charge.

Back