Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Just a couple of guesses out of the blue: Electronic and debuts: Kraftwerk - s/t (rare and expensive today, although maybe more krautrock than electronic), The Knife - s/t (last repress 2013 and pretty hard to track down), Leftfield - Leftism (last repress 2017 as a 3lp set, preeeetty expensive). Classic rock could basically be anything but I'm thinking a long the lines of Shades of Deep Purple (has been repressed recently, but we're looking a pretty sure shot at a congenial color variant here)
Genuinely hope I'm wrong, but fully prepared to be underwhelmed by whatever Classic Rock pick they go with ... if only because there isn't much of note that hasn't already gotten a recent-ish re-issue. Actually hoping they'll go crate diggery with this one and release something most folks don't know about. Also, it's been a while since the did a crate digger pick.

In any case, I'm still beating the drum of Bricolage for the electronic, 'cause this Amon Tobin fan's gotta keep that hope alive.

Considering they give zero fucks now in Essentials about things being very recently reissued (even if it's AAA and cut by Kevin Gray), I think just about any classic rock debut album is on the table besides those artists they have already done.

Considering they give zero fucks now in Essentials about things being very recently reissued (even if it's AAA and cut by Kevin Gray), I think just about any classic rock debut album is on the table besides those artists they have already done.
CSNY - Deja Vu, confirmed:

CSNY Deja Vu 50th Anniversary set. 5xLP and 1xLP/4xCD versions.

Do you consider it a CSN album? I have usually seen the discographies separated into Buffalo Springfield, CSN, CSNY, and Stills-Young.
Yes, I consider CSN and CSNY the same entity. Blasphemy I know.

Allmusic.com seems to agree with me:

Yes, I consider CSN and CSNY the same entity. Blasphemy I know.

Allmusic.com seems to agree with me:
I don't think it really matters, but I think it might actually be defensible if one were to claim either way.

Funny that they don't count Crosby & Nash or Stills-Young though. A >=3 principle I guess.

Last edited:
My VMP shipment from this month FINALLY shipped. That was torture, I usually get my boxes pretty early in the month

I have the following on the way:

• Kid Cudi
• Donny Hathaway
• Johnny Cash
* Brijean
* Galt McDermot

It’s going to be a great Mail day
I thought you were going to be getting Leon Ware!?! What happened with that? 🤔

I’m looking really forward to spinning the Johnny Cash, Kid Cudi and Galt MacDermot as well! 😍🐙🤠🐝🌒🕺

It's the debut of CSN with Y.
In the world of Storf and the "Essential" Room On Fire....this fits the clue.

I would also argue that any CSN that does NOT include theY does not qualify as "essential" nor as "classic" rock.

But its probably Patti Smith - Horses.
Dang I don’t think I’d ever lump Horses into what I think of as classic rock. Definitely more punk inspired/alternative. It’s kind of like saying Television or The Velvet Underground is classic rock. But really it’s so up in the air at the moment what it could be ha!

Dang I don’t think I’d ever lump Horses into what I think of as classic rock. Definitely more punk inspired/alternative. It’s kind of like saying Television or The Velvet Underground is classic rock. But really it’s so up in the air at the moment what it could be ha!
I agree with this. Patti Smith, Television, and the Velvet Underground are not classic rock. Except Sweet Jane and Rock & Roll, those songs are classic rock. Same thing with Lou Reed, not classic rock, but Walk On The Wild Side is.

I thought you were going to be getting Leon Ware!?! What happened with that? 🤔

I’m looking really forward to spinning the Johnny Cash, Kid Cudi and Galt MacDermot as well! 😍🐙🤠🐝🌒🕺

Realized I was really talking myself into owning it cause I’m in love with the album cover. Not that I didn’t come to really enjoy the music, I thought it was a fun listen but realistically would never spin it. So I grabbed Donny instead this month and will hopefully circle around to Leon Ware if it sticks around for a sale

Realized I was really talking myself into owning it cause I’m in love with the album cover. Not that I didn’t come to really enjoy the music, I thought it was a fun listen but realistically would never spin it. So I grabbed Donny instead this month and will hopefully circle around to Leon Ware if it sticks around for a sale
The Donny Hathaway is magnificent and I’m really happy you picked that one up! I’m sure the Leon Ware will stick around for a while, so like you said, you can pick that up once it’s reduced/when VMP has a storewide sale!

Back