Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I'm a big Outkast fan so I'll likely grab both in the long run. If the VMP release knocked it out of the park I'd skip the RSD release, but this color variant is extremely underwhelming, so I'll likely end up getting both.

If the VMP version sounds better, then as a casual fan you don't need the RSD release, but.... as a big Outkast fan I feel I should still add the RSD release to my collection at some point.
I’m happy you are getting both variants! Shows that you really are a huge fan of the album! I had two pressings of Stankonia but just sold one of them, along with Mama’s Gun, CrazySexyCool and The Infamous together as a bundle. I’ve got the VMP pressings for CrazySexyCool and The Infamous and will have VMP exclusives for Mama’s Gun and Stankonia; therefore I sold the standard black pressings.

I’m holding onto my MOV pressing of Stankonia though so I can compare the two pressings!! I’ll likely sell/give away my MOV pressing of Stankonia once I play my VMP pressing!

Detective @NathanRicaud breaks the case. We're done here people, pack it up!
Someone needs to make a Scooby Doo meme where they're pulling the monster mask off of some ne'er-do-well and it's Storf and @NathanRicaud is Shaggy (or whichever character you most identify with)

"It's old man Storf!"

Someone needs to make a Scooby Doo meme where they're pulling the monster mask off of some ne'er-do-well and it's Storf and @NathanRicaud is Shaggy (or whichever character you most identify with)

"It's old man Storf!"
I’m Scooby Doo! 😍😜🦮

Also, I knew the Essentials ROTM would be Lady Sings The Blues and not Velvet Mood because VMP usually do incredible ROTM picks for Essentials! 💯

I read this as meaningless Storf trolling since he said they don't mean anything.
Exactly! I knew we were still getting Lady Sings The Blues! Storf didn’t trick me. There was no way they would make Velvet Mood an Essentials ROTM! No way! 😜

Billie Holiday’s Lady Sings The Blues is an extraordinary ROTM pick! I’m blown away by the Essentials ROTM picks! Easily my favourite three Essentials picks in a row!!! ❤️

I read this as meaningless Storf trolling since he said they don't mean anything.

I surprised anyone bothers with his twitter or reddit posts. I didn’t mind the guy (mostly) on old forum at least at first. When he returned less so.
But I’ve never been overly impressed with his writing and he always came across as conceited and egotistical when mention of his role came up.
Personally i think he is well under qualified and anyone with a basic understanding of the English language and no knowledge of music could do what he does.

I surprised anyone bothers with his twitter or reddit posts. I didn’t mind the guy (mostly) on old forum at least at first. When he returned less so.
But I’ve never been overly impressed with his writing and he always came across as conceited and egotistical when mention of his role came up.
Personally i think he is well under qualified and anyone with a basic understanding of the English language and no knowledge of music could do what he does.
Yeah. I admire his enthusiasm but his writing does sometimes make me think that somehow the guy the makes the tea has stumbled upon the office crayons and VMP has accidentally included whatever he's produced instead of whatever professional bit of script they'd meant to put in there

They would have to be superior to existing MOV's, LITA's , Grundman's, Gray's, etc while being more expensive so ok, your move VMP bud
Look I'm no VMP fanboy, just saying I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised by those details. If what you say ends up being true for all titles, I definitely won't get the VMP version.

PUTS OST is long out of print.

The details on that Austrian label press that LITA is selling of Dreams is not clear at all. Plenty of stuff sounds better than MOV in my experience and yeah, I expect the Stankonia press to be GZ DMM, but one can hope.

Modern OJCs are also almost always digital and fine but not considered audiophile.

Last edited:
They would have to be superior to existing MOV's, LITA's , Grundman's, Gray's, etc while being more expensive so ok, your move VMP bud
Yeah. Goes both way. Last months Rollins was mega. Spiritualized better than the Plain (even with my glitches) but I'm always perplexed when people get giddy about the presses and talk about shifting existing stuff that may be of higher quality. If the pressing details are out and verified then fair enough but blind assumption that VMP has managed something unique and different isn't really backed up by its historical practices. At least not in Essentials.

I'm guessing the next two essentials are represses of something that's already out there. Not that I'm in for them anyway

Last edited:
The Stankonia and Mama's Gun probably aren't a giant improvement SQ-wise over the existing reissues, but the packaging at least will be better. The Classics releases should all be significant improvements over the existing versions though, with the exception of the Donny Hathaway. I'm sure it'll be a fantastic master, but the Speakers Corner Kevin Gray reissue is gonna be hard to top it sounds like.

Back