Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Not that there was ever any doubt about what's coming next month, but someone posted the rules for a sweepstake a wee bit early, allowing it to be crawled by search engines. Whoops.

"The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Prize is $30 U.S. dollars"

Likely the distortion will get worse the higher up the cart chain you go. In my guess.

Yeah, I'm thinking the AT150sa I'm currently using would be the worst of those I have for picking it up since it's a Shibata. I can quick swap a MP-110, an Ortofon Red and a spherical for fun to see. Might be a project for later tonight.

Yeah, I'm thinking the AT150sa I'm currently using would be the worst of those I have for picking it up since it's a Shibata. I can quick swap a MP-110, an Ortofon Red and a spherical for fun to see. Might be a project for later tonight.
Ahhhh yep that could be, I swapped to a Bronze and the distortion definitely lessened on my first copy.

What headshells are you using? I'm thinking about mounting my old MP200 to use on beat up knackered old bollocks but I ended up down some absolute rabbit hole full of mentalists arguing about mass and effective distribution when I tried to dig about to see what goes well with a technics. Turns out headshells make people on the Internet furious! Properly livid they are

What headshells are you using? I'm thinking about mounting my old MP200 to use on beat up knackered old bollocks but I ended up down some absolute rabbit hole full of mentalists arguing about mass and effective distribution when I tried to dig about to see what goes well with a technics. Turns out headshells make people on the Internet furious! Properly livid they are

I think I’ve seen the jelco ones come recommended around here. Plus if you have it give it a go, it’ll either sound good or not, the internet talking heads can disapear up their own arses sometimes!

I think I’ve seen the jelco ones come recommended around here. Plus if you have it give it a go, it’ll either sound good or not, the internet talking heads can disapear up their own arses sometimes!
They're insane. Masses of pages of dudes chucking data about to demonstrate frequency variables when they add 2, 3, 5 grams. Who has time for that shit!

My AT and the Nagaoka are on headshells I got from LP Gear when I got the carts and the Ortofon is on the original Technics headshell that came with the TT. The spherical is a white label and it's basically it's own mount so doesn't need a headshell.

Honestly, I didn't put much thought into it. Should I have?

EDIT:

It's this one, but I remember it being cheaper, maybe because I bought the carts with it.

EDIT2: Now that I look into it, that LP gear headshell looks a lot like, as in identical to, a Jelco HS-50 headshell.

Last edited:
Back