Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I got through Side A of Spiritualized and hear the same distortion that others have mentioned on the final track "I Think I'm in Love."

Had just started on Side B when baby started crying.

Are folks thinking the distortion is a pressing issue that is likely on all copies, or should I ask CS to provide a replacement? Of course I'll finish listening before writing them in case Side D has pops too.

I guess what I'm saying is based on some comments, is this album just that hard to get perfect on vinyl?
Lots of people claim to have clean copies.. There's no mention at all on Cogs of the distortion and I know some members on the forum that also have clean copies. I would ask for a replacement. What kind of cart are you using? (I only ask because I had some luck lessening the distortion using a different cart than my usual, curious if it holds true for other tables)

Lots of people claim to have clean copies.. There's no mention at all on Cogs of the distortion and I know some members on the forum that also have clean copies. I would ask for a replacement. What kind of cart are you using? (I only ask because I had some luck lessening the distortion using a different cart than my usual, curious if it holds true for other tables)

Gives me hope...

Ortofon Red. Still chugging along with the original on my Pro-Ject DC

Gives me hope...

Ortofon Red. Still chugging along with the original on my Pro-Ject DC
Okay well if you're also hearing it with the red then my theory of it really only being bad on finer diamond tips kinda goes out the window. But yes, not everyone seems to be having the same issue so get a replacement. I will be requesting as many as I have to in order to get a decent 2LP together of this one.

maybe its the ortofon in general thats the issue.. their preciseness

I'm probably ~75% of the way through the life of my Red. What's a recommendation for my next cart/stylus? Maybe the precision of Ortofon isn't for me, honestly.
Haha oh man head over to the hardware thread, there's about a million pages on carts. But the general consensus is Grado is warm, Nagaoka is also warm and forgiving with poorly pressed or older vinyl. Lots of love for various Audio Technica as well. All of those have models that can be purchased in the sub $200 price range...

EDIT- Duke beat me to it

I got through Side A of Spiritualized and hear the same distortion that others have mentioned on the final track "I Think I'm in Love."

Had just started on Side B when baby started crying.

Are folks thinking the distortion is a pressing issue that is likely on all copies, or should I ask CS to provide a replacement? Of course I'll finish listening before writing them in case Side D has pops too.

I guess what I'm saying is based on some comments, is this album just that hard to get perfect on vinyl?
Can you describe the distortion in more detail and I'll double check my copy? I was keeping an ear out for it after I saw @Mather post something about it last week.

Crap, based on all these reports, looks like I'm going to have to move Spiritualized to the top of the stack to see if it has issues... will report back with results.

I asked for a replacement in the end. I've probably seen worse warps and just sucked it up but there is clear fresh air under as it rotates. They aren't cheap records at the end of the day so I'm trying to get a flat one. I've no distortion as far as I can tell but it's a bit poppy for sure

Can you describe the distortion in more detail and I'll double check my copy? I was keeping an ear out for it after I saw @Mather post something about it last week.
Towards end of third track side A, pretty loud right channel distortion hits, in some cases sounds like buzzing or loud crackle. It's repetitive not constant. It's very apparent, if you didn't hear it you're probably all good. Also last half of side 4 lots of pops.

@Mather @jamieanderson1968 @RHANDMJ @bdrummond

So since the pandemic, I'm only going online shopping and trying to favor Canadian shops. I used Sonic Boom, Dead Dog and Aux33Tours (in Montreal) all very successfully. I also have Pop Music bookmarked and ordered MOFI inners from Play Da Record. Any other Canadian online stores to check out? I also know of srcvinyl and musicvaultz, which I used once each in the past I think. My usual Ottawa haunts are not online yet unfortunately (Compact Music and Record Centre mainly).

@Mather @jamieanderson1968 @RHANDMJ @bdrummond

So since the pandemic, I'm only going online shopping and trying to favor Canadian shops. I used Sonic Boom, Dead Dog and Aux33Tours (in Montreal) all very successfully. I also have Pop Music bookmarked and ordered MOFI inners from Play Da Record. Any other Canadian online stores to check out? I also know of srcvinyl and musicvaultz, which I used once each in the past I think. My usual Ottawa haunts are not online yet unfortunately (Compact Music and Record Centre mainly).
MusicVaultz is Universal's web store (I think) and I find with the various discount codes MUSICVAULTZ15 and VAULTZVIP they can be pretty good and are quite good with any replacements after the fact. I've had great luck with DiamondGroove however he is shutting down and selling his stock so he doesn't have anything new but I found some great stuff on there. I've also ordered some very reasonably priced AP 45s on cogs from a BC based store called AudioPile.

Last edited:
Towards end of third track side A, pretty loud right channel distortion hits, in some cases sounds like buzzing or loud crackle. It's repetitive not constant. It's very apparent, if you didn't hear it you're probably all good. Also last half of side 4 lots of pops.
Phew, I don't have it, then. On my first play through post-clean. Some possible quiet pops on Side 4, but nothing major. All in, think I dodged a bullet on this. Will give side 4 another clean and see if it sorts the wee pops, but I think I have a copy I'm happy with.

@Turbo I Second Diamond Groove. Decent prices and pretty much at-cost shipping. I used to use AudioPile out in Vancouver as one of my main bricks and mortar stores. Again, decent prices on new and used and the used is well graded.

Also out in BC is Red Cat (my other in person go to when I lived there). They have a Discogs store and prices seem decent. Looks like both Red Cat and AudioPile price their Discogs items same as in the store. I have not used either online but both have always been good to me in person. The only issue would be the shipping costs as parcel post goes up the further it travels.

Just did a Discogs order for Kops recently, again new items. I can recommend them as well. Everything ships from TO so the shipping cost across the border should be reasonable.

MusicVaultz is Universal's web store (I think) and I find with the various discount codes MUSICVAULTZ15 and VAULTZVIP they can be pretty good and are quite good with any replacements after the fact. I've had great luck with DiamondGroove however he is shutting down and selling his stock so he doesn't have anything new but I found some great stuff on there. I've also ordered some very reasonably priced AP 45s on cogs from a BC based store called AudioPile.

@Turbo I Second Diamond Groove. Decent prices and pretty much at-cost shipping. I used to use AudioPile out in Vancouver as one of my main bricks and mortar stores. Again, decent prices on new and used and the used is well graded.

Also out in BC is Red Cat (my other in person go to when I lived there). They have a Discogs store and prices seem decent. Looks like both Red Cat and AudioPile price their Discogs items same as in the store. I have not used either online but both have always been good to me in person. The only issue would be the shipping costs as parcel post goes up the further it travels.

Just did a Discogs order for Kops recently, again new items. I can recommend them as well. Everything ships from TO so the shipping cost across the border should be reasonable.

Cheers guys... great tips in there.

Those codes will come in handy... was eyeing a couple Rolling Stones reissues on MusicVaultz. I think I ordered some Tom Petty on there before and everything went smoothly.

I'll check DiamondGroove, AudioPile, Red Cat and Kops today.

I have this too, just before it fades out, happens about 5 or 6 times. Not great, but I’ll live with it.

Cheers guys... great tips in there.

Those codes will come in handy... was eyeing a couple Rolling Stones reissues on MusicVaultz. I think I ordered some Tom Petty on there before and everything went smoothly.

I'll check DiamondGroove, AudioPile, Red Cat and Kops today.
Red Cat are great. Kops is ok, but I have found their vintage pretty spotty.

Unfortunately I cant recommend Diamond Groove, who basically went out of business a few years ago. He is selling his remaining stock, but regrettably had a habit of regularly resleeving returns and putting them back out in the regular stock. Got burned on that a few times.

Red Cat are great. Kops is ok, but I have found their vintage pretty spotty.

Unfortunately I cant recommend Diamond Groove, who basically went out of business a few years ago. He is selling his remaining stock, but regrettably had a habit of regularly resleeving returns and putting them back out in the regular stock. Got burned on that a few times.
That's too bad, I haven't had any issue with re-sleeved items but that's no bueno. Thanks for the info.

Crap, based on all these reports, looks like I'm going to have to move Spiritualized to the top of the stack to see if it has issues... will report back with results.
I'm on Side D now... overall it sounds really great! I noticed just a teeny bit of IGD towards the end of Side A, on a part where the vocals come in loudly/aggressively. Nothing repetitive though. Also some minor popping on Side C. Not deal breakers for me.

This is on an Ortofon Blue cart, FYI. Sorry you guys got bum copies. (n)

Back