Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Do you have reason to believe the 2015 is? I can't remember if I ever saw that.
The 2015 press release said:

''Now, almost two decades later, World Circuit Records are delighted to present ‘Buena Vista Social Club’ on double vinyl. This comes after a limited run that was released exclusively in the US and Japan back in 1997, with a subsequent re-issue in 2009 (US only). Cut from the original analogue half inch tapes and mastered by Bernie Grundman (mastering engineer of the original release), the studio recordings have been lovingly pressed on 180 gram heavyweight vinyl. Housed in a gatefold sleeve, the 2xLPs are presented alongside a beautiful 20-page booklet and a digital download card. ''

Do you have reason to believe the 2015 is? I can't remember if I ever saw that.
Just buy the 2015 reissue which is actually AAA and cop that extra 20% credit and grab an AP or something haha.
This is from the nonesuch site:

Cut from the original analog half-inch tapes and mastered by Bernie Grundman (engineer of the original release), the studio recordings have been lovingly pressed on 180-gram heavyweight vinyl. Housed in a gatefold sleeve, the LPs are presented alongside a beautiful 20-page booklet and a digital download card. "From the moment I first heard this recording I was impressed with how natural the sound was and the overall feeling that you were in the room," Grundman says. "In mastering, to preserve that master tape sound, I was careful to use very little processing and made sure that the signal path contained the absolute minimum amount of electronics. A recording of this caliber does not come along very often, and when it does it is a real pleasure to work on."

The 2015 press release said:

''Now, almost two decades later, World Circuit Records are delighted to present ‘Buena Vista Social Club’ on double vinyl. This comes after a limited run that was released exclusively in the US and Japan back in 1997, with a subsequent re-issue in 2009 (US only). Cut from the original analogue half inch tapes and mastered by Bernie Grundman (mastering engineer of the original release), the studio recordings have been lovingly pressed on 180 gram heavyweight vinyl. Housed in a gatefold sleeve, the 2xLPs are presented alongside a beautiful 20-page booklet and a digital download card. ''
Haha, sorry to make you do that when I did it too but was too slow!

Glad I have that one, it sounds great, although I got two copies and neither are flat.

So by saying he used 'very little processing', he basically is saying its ADA, right? So if anything this is the same version from 5 years ago.
I don't think that is a given assumption. As usual, it is rarely incredibly clear. But there is processing and electronics involved in mastering and cutting for AAA vinyl. It is very very rare to do a flat master tape transfer.

So Storf said BVSC was not AAA. Can we trust him given this stock situation?

VMP might be offering credit to avoid having to do the second press, like how they pushed people to swap out of Queen's ANATO. If so, what is the incentive for them to advertise that this is AAA even if it is true?

Just got an email from VMP saying I can swap for credit on BVSC and get an additional 20% on top of that. Might be worth it for us internationals.

I read it as:

Hey! Remember when we said we're only going to backorder BVSC to "new" customers? Yeah we totally don't know what we're doing so we're going to totally piss off our subscribers again by having no rhyme or reason to our shipping!! If you'd like to help us out by bailing on this we'll give you store credit which you'll use to buy something we say is in stock but really who knows? Be a pal and help us out, we're a small company just trying to get by! We're like your friends, you like helping out your friends right? Right!?!?

I read it as:

Hey! Remember when we said we're only going to backorder BVSC to "new" customers? Yeah we totally don't know what we're doing so we're going to totally piss off our subscribers again by having no rhyme or reason to our shipping!! If you'd like to help us out by bailing on this we'll give you store credit which you'll use to buy something we say is in stock but really who knows? Be a pal and help us out, we're a small company just trying to get by! We're like your friends, you like helping out your friends right? Right!?!?

💯%

You have never heard of records going from Tape to Digital Master to Vinyl?

Spars is

Recorder for initial recording
Recorder for Mix
Mastering

Mastering analogue after doing the mix recording digital would be a bit weird, hence never having seen ADA

Last edited:
Back