Vinyl Me Please Essentials

i had a weird thought a few weeks ago i thought about randomly mentioning because i am bored and tired...

i noticed while listening to most of spiritualized work (besides the weird drone pop album they made in the beginning) that they are a really surreal and all over the place group, very much focused on the emotion and energy than anything else, in a weird way, they were the 90s version of the 1975.. bloated, kinda up their ass, and definitely all over the place. but when they are good they hit in a perfect area that you kinda needed hit..

the major difference is that the 1975 doesn't have an album as good as ladies and gentlemen or songs in A&E

in a weird way,
In a very weird way.

I always thought of 1975 as a modern day version of INXS but without the talent or charisma. The lead singer of 1975 is definitely up his ass though. Steve Hyden’s Review of 1975 most recent album I think encapsulates my feelings on 1975 to a T...
A lot of Rock music is big, bold, over the top and full of emotion. Spiritualized make great albums, 1975 are a singles band, they wanna make great albums but so far have been too unfocused and scattershot to do so.

Spiritualized is tough for me. My sub ends in August, so I have to make the decision to sign up for another 3 month period or I let my sub lapse. Currently, the album is not clicking for me, after about 2.5 tries. I'm reluctant to just dismiss it, though, because I initially didn't like Bitte Orca and that's now one of my favorite Essentials ever. I don't want to pass up Spiritualized only to fall in love with it a little later.

After 3 requests to VMP, they finally admitted that I am in the "second wave" of De Stijl shipments, so it will ship out next month (if we believe them). So VMP chose to move me to the 2nd wave (after realizing they couldn't fulfill the amount of orders) to make room for those who joined for this release. Makes total sense to act like I/Me, and not VMP themselves 'placed' my order after the first of the month, so I missed the cut off....seems legit. :mad:

After 3 requests to VMP, they finally admitted that I am in the "second wave" of De Stijl shipments, so it will ship out next month (if we believe them). So VMP chose to move me to the 2nd wave (after realizing they couldn't fulfill the amount of orders) to make room for those who joined for this release. Makes total sense to act like I/Me, and not VMP themselves 'placed' my order after the first of the month, so I missed the cut off....seems legit. :mad:
whack

Spiritualized is tough for me. My sub ends in August, so I have to make the decision to sign up for another 3 month period or I let my sub lapse. Currently, the album is not clicking for me, after about 2.5 tries. I'm reluctant to just dismiss it, though, because I initially didn't like Bitte Orca and that's now one of my favorite Essentials ever. I don't want to pass up Spiritualized only to fall in love with it a little later.
I can likely assist if you end up wanting it and don't have a sub, assuming I still have mine and I haven't filled up all my swaps!

Not sure if this is a HOT TAKE or not.........

But, although Buena Vista Social Club is an all-time top 20 album for me, I think the Ali Farka Toure that dropped yesterday would have been a more fun (read: "less safe") Essentials pick.
I think both BVSC and Ali Farka Toure and even Orchestra Baobab are all worthy of the essentials treatment. We need more essential music picks from outside of the western world!

I think both BVSC and Ali Farka Toure and even Orchestra Baobab are all worthy of the essentials treatment. We need more essential music picks from outside of the western world!
Agreed! Those Ali Farka Touré & Orchestra Baobab albums in the VMP store are definitely worthy of the Essentials treatment! I was so happy to grab them both in the bundle after listening to them! 😍

listening to john mayer with vinyl breaks feels kinda awkward.. i liked it more as a whole package than in 3 song packages... but it did sound great, especially bold as love which was pressed almost perfectly

listening to john mayer with vinyl breaks feels kinda awkward.. i liked it more as a whole package than in 3 song packages... but it did sound great, especially bold as love which was pressed almost perfectly
Glad you enjoyed it! I love that cover version too even though I love the original so much more!

Finally got the chance to listen to Continuum and it sounds fantastic. I do have a couple of skips on the song Belief, but a message to CS will hopefully get another copy on my way soon.

Now I'm contemplating if I should wait for Buena Vista or pick it up somewhere else? I do like the colour VMP is offering.

i hope in the next 3 months we get a dance album.... because the last one we got was a year and a half ago

we got a punk album before a dance album
OMG yaaaaas Dukey, I would love freaking love a dance album as an Essentials ROTM really soon! Like could we get something like Basement Jaxx's Romeo, Daft Punk's Homework or even Disclosure's Settle? Like we need some fierce, hot club music! 💯

Or can we get something like M.I.A.'s Kala, which is like an international fusion of dance music and an album stacked with one bangers! Like we need VMP to do something fun, hot and wild! 💥😜😈🎢

Back