Vinyl Me Please Essentials

the tragedy of being the 10% defending this pick
Iā€™m pretty happy to be getting this John Mayer ROTM! I donā€™t care if most of the people on N&G think this John Mayer album is trash! It doesnā€™t change how I feel about getting the record! šŸ’Æ

At the same time though, Iā€™m happy a lot of people are coming forward saying they are not a fan of this pick! Itā€™s cool and interesting to see such an overwhelming amount of people dislike an Essentials ROTM! āš ļøšŸ†˜

I donā€™t feel the need to defend this John Mayer pick. I understand why itā€™s getting shit on! I did the same thing with the Future Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM - I expressed why I thought Futureā€™s ā€œHonestā€ was such a poor ROTM pick and explained why I think it was the worst R&HH pick thus far! šŸ’¤

Iā€™m pretty happy to be getting this John Mayer ROTM! I donā€™t care if most of the people on N&G think this John Mayer album is trash! It doesnā€™t change how I feel about getting the record! šŸ’Æ

At the same time though, Iā€™m happy a lot of people are coming forward saying they are not a fan of this pick! Itā€™s cool and interesting to see such an overwhelming amount of people dislike an Essentials ROTM! āš šŸ†˜

I donā€™t feel the need to defend this John Mayer pick. I understand why itā€™s getting shit on! I did the same thing with the Future Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM - I expressed why I thought Futureā€™s ā€œHonestā€ was such a poor ROTM pick and explained why I think it was the worst R&HH pick thus far! šŸ’¤
i mean i did the same hatred when nada surf was the ROTM... getting angry they were picking a shitty diet weezer when we already had clues that pinkerton was coming a few months later. same happened when i thought tennis sucked, or when i discuss my biased hatred for jack whites mid 60s analog fetish (still he can press some good records, i will get a captain beefhart and boris one day), or when i was begging for the R&HH ROTM to not be fly or die

i mean i did the same hatred when nada surf was the ROTM... getting angry they were picking a shitty diet weezer when we already had clues that pinkerton was coming a few months later. same happened when i thought tennis sucked, or when i discuss my biased hatred for jack whites mid 60s analog fetish (still he can press some good records, i will get a captain beefhart and boris one day), or when i was begging for the R&HH ROTM to not be fly or die

Regarding Tennis I wonder if people just did dislike that pick because they didn't like the album and thought it was not essential or if there also is some problematic background of the Tennis members like having committed some crimes or having said something racist etc?
It was RotM before I became member for the first time so I've missed that discussion and wonder if there's something I'm not aware of because I think their RotM album actually is very good.

Regarding Tennis I wonder if people just did dislike that pick because they didn't like the album and thought it was not essential or if there also is some problematic background of the Tennis members like having committed some crimes or having said something racist etc?
It was RotM before I became member for the first time so I've missed that discussion and wonder if there's something I'm not aware of because I think their RotM album actually is very good.
Not that I know of . It was mostly backlash against the overhyping the album by vmp. They on announcement wrote it is an essential comparable to joni Mitchell's blue or Carole king's tapestry. The tennis album just collapsed under this hype

With Tennis the music is just basic. Though their spoiled hipsters living on Daddyā€™s skiff making music because we are ā€œArtistsā€ background story was a bit eyeroll inducing. With Mayer, I think he is a turd of a human being, but there are many other musicians who are terrible people too that I enjoy musically with Mayer (though, I feel like itā€™s required that any critique must reference his guitar technical prowess) I find his music almost offensively mundane. I can attempt to separate the art from the artist if I personally feel the art is worth it, with Mayer that simply isnā€™t the case.

Though their spoiled hipsters living on Daddyā€™s skiff making music because we are ā€œArtistsā€ background story was a bit eyeroll inducing.
But as far as I remember that was a bit misconstrued at that time. They basically took all their savings from previous jobs , bought a boat and started traveling working odd jobs and recording along the way. Hipsters maybe, but no rich daddy with a yacht

But as far as I remember that was a bit misconstrued at that time. They basically took all their savings from previous jobs , bought a boat and started traveling working odd jobs and recording along the way. Hipsters maybe, but no rich daddy with a yacht
Semantics I suppose, nothing screams privileged to me like, letā€™s take a gap year at Vassar and set out on an adventure. They very well could be just average joes doing this but typically this type of activity is much easier if you have a bit of a cushion to fall back on if things donā€™t work out and that isnā€™t even that big of a deal, lots of music I love comes from a place of place of privilege but with Tennis the sail boat thing was a BIG part of the background story behind their music .

Last edited:
Mayer = boomer trash
So the 1990ā€™s/2000ā€™s version of Drake?
Not saying you are wrong, just trying to frame the thought in a present day context I can understand.
And maybe not Drake.
But some artist 15 years from now weā€™ll say: Yeah that was Popular then, and Ubiquitous in the culture, and there is clearly a level of talent that is undeniable enough to understand a certain amount of critical acclaim that got attached to it, but looking back maybe itā€™s not a pillar of the art form we expected it to continue to be back when there were more stans for it/the artist than there are in the present day?
Again, just trying to frame it in terms of a present day comparison for context.

Last edited:
There is nothing more boring in the entire world of music than white blues. I'm not saying there is absolutely no good white blues, but more often than not it is the most unnecessary, redundant, self-fellating music on the planet.
Well I NEVER! I mean this is just the most.... OUTRAGEOUS.... hot take I've ever... read... why I can name at least... well... there's just a plethora of white blues artists who... transcend...the...

(slowly starts backing out of room)

...the genre... why there's Stevie Ray and uh Watermelon... something... Buchanan... ish...

(steps around door frame)

...holy shit look it's Jimmy Page, Keith Richards and Jack White and they wrote a hot new original blues lick!

(runs away)

Last edited:
Mayer = boomer trash

tenor.gif

There is nothing more boring in the entire world of music than white blues. I'm not saying there is absolutely no good white blues, but more often than not it is the most unnecessary, redundant, self-fellating music on the planet.
I really enjoy JSBX and still LOLā€™d at this one. Bravo!

Last edited:
Pfft. Close enough. He did that record with RL Burnside and has ā€œBluesā€ in his bandā€™s name, what more do they have to do?. Next thing your onna tell me is the Climax Blues Band isnā€™t a Blues band.
Look... I got a LOT of opinions about the Climax Blues Band... but... I got pretty worked up over the whole thing and kinda, finished before I started... and now I'm very sleepy. I swear this NEVER happens... so weird... But I PROMISE we'll get back to this whole thing... soon... maybe tomorrow...

...so very sleepy...

Last edited:
Look... I got a LOT of opinions about the Climax Blues Band... but... I got pretty worked up over the whole thing and kinda, finished before I started... and now I'm very sleepy. I swear this NEVER happens... So weird... But I PROMISE we'll get back to this whole thing... soon... maybe tomorrow...

...so very sleepy...
I know you have been stressed at worked.

Back