Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Glad to help! This record is somewhat odd, since it was recorded relatively recently (so it is not as much of a Classic as other Latin albums), yet the compositions and performers are old. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm sure a bunch of other Latinos will agree that hearing this album for the first time feels new, yet familiar.
Spot on! I'm not Latino, but was born and raised on the border (El Paso), so grew up hearing mariachi and tejano music all the time. BVSC is a wonderful album. My other favorite album in this style is Los Lobos' La Pistola y El Corazon... would love for a quality reissue of that to come along someday.

Back in for 3 months for 2. Got Jorge Ben, which I’m really chuffed about. In an ideal world I’ll swap BVSC for The Flaming Lips or The Stooges, but they were listed as waitlist. Would be happy with BVSC if I can’t get anything, but there are another couple of things I could swap for.

Thinking this could be a regular thing - wait until I get a 3 for 2, then do a greatest hits of the year run curated by me.

I had my third or so listen to Spiritualized last night. Really starting to see why so many of you love it so much. I think if I'd heard it ten years ago it would have been huge for me, like Skinny Fists-in-university levels.
Once you've let Ladies & Gentlemen percolate I'd recommend the follow up, Let It Come Down. Also very good.

Once you've let Ladies & Gentlemen percolate I'd recommend the follow up, Let It Come Down. Also very good.
Also pretty much the Entire Spiritualized catalog. There most recent album And Nothing Hurt and Songs in A&E are both top notch albums too. Pierce’s first two albums under the Spiritualized moniker are pretty wonderful also but are more of a continuation of what he was doing with Spacemen 3 (Droney Psych) still great but different. IMO Amazing Grace and Sweet Heart Sweet Light are just a tick behind the others and their live LP Royal Albert Hall captures their magical live shows supremely. All to say I totally agree about Let It Come Down is probably the next album worth exploring, it is similar to Ladies & Gentlemen... but bigger in every way.

I like it. Not his best production, unfortunately. He had to finance the whole album himself, I read. Still, a solid album and the songs really come alive in the live show.
Were you at the Seattle show? It was amazing. I was a bit worried when Pierce came out and immediately sat down but man, It was spectacular even more remarkable given his sedimentary condition.

I like it. Not his best production, unfortunately. He had to finance the whole album himself, I read. Still, a solid album and the songs really come alive in the live show.
Also pretty much the Entire Spiritualized catalog. There most recent album And Nothing Hurt and Songs in A&E are both top notch albums too. Pierce’s first two albums under the Spiritualized moniker are pretty wonderful also but are more of a continuation of what he was doing with Spacemen 3 (Droney Psych) still great but different. IMO Amazing Grace and Sweet Heart Sweet Light are just a tick behind the others and their live LP Royal Albert Hall captures their magical live shows supremely. All to say I totally agree about Let It Come Down is probably the next album worth exploring, it is similar to Ladies & Gentlemen... but bigger in every way.
It is brilliant. You will love it.
What @Bloodlemons said. Any Spiritualized is good, definitely worth your time.

Thanks. Not sure how I missed on Spiritualized, but this is a band that was never on my radar. I like Ladies & Gentlemen... and I'm looking forward to digging into the catalog.

Any thoughts on And Nothing Hurt? I just ordered it from Fat Possum, but haven't listened to the album.

I think it’s excellent. I wouldn’t say he really breaks any new ground but he does all the things you expect from Spiritualized & he does them very well.

Perfect Miracle is a beautiful little melody, I’m Your Man is a soulful ballad with great horns, whilst On The Sunshine & The Morning After are blistering rockers.

Hope you enjoy it.

I had my third or so listen to Spiritualized last night. Really starting to see why so many of you love it so much. I think if I'd heard it ten years ago it would have been huge for me, like Skinny Fists-in-university levels.

For my money, the first album, Laser Guided Melodies is up there with their best. Every album is decent, & there are highlights throughout their catalogue. Check out the title track from Sweet Heart/Sweet Light: a truly epic Spiritualized moment.

For my money, the first album, Laser Guided Melodies is up there with their best. Every album is decent, & there are highlights throughout their catalogue. Check out the title track from Sweet Heart/Sweet Light: a truly epic Spiritualized moment.

I think you mean "Hey Jane". But agreed, it's an absolutely gem of a song.

Thanks. Not sure how I missed on Spiritualized, but this is a band that was never on my radar. I like Ladies & Gentlemen... and I'm looking forward to digging into the catalog.
I will say it again, don't stop with Spiritualized, check out Spacemen 3 and Peter Kember/Sonic Boom's output as well

Back