Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yeah because interpersonal relations and band politics haven’t kept this out of print for nearly 50 years! With relations between the two at complete rock bottom there’s more chance of pigs flying than anyone repressing Buckingham Nicks. If we do have an epidemic of flying hogs though could you save me a copy please!
Yeah, I know. That's why we need the disinterested involvement of the record label (can't believe I said something that could be construed as positive about record labels). This is definitely a solid pick and despite its popularity at the time, would be something good to expose to their subscribers.

Everyone: "this is an obscure album, it is not ESSENTIAL"

...Also everyone: "Ugh this album is so popular that it's easy to find a used version for cheap"

🙄🙄🙄

I believe the latter crowd doesn't get the concept of a vinyl reissue.
You guys can keep your worn out old copies of Bella Donna on flimsy 80s vinyl. I'll take this shiny new AAA reissue on colored vinyl with a nice art print and outstanding packaging that most likely sounds better than any copy you can buy.

You do realise that this has had a Rhino repress was done on 180g vinyl mastered by Bernie Grundman and pressed at Optimal. It came out in 2016 and costs about €15 on Discogs. It sounds immense. I have a copy. I seem to remember rhino pressing it in colour this January too. Also most clean copies of “flimsy 80s presses” I have beat the crap out of modern presses, there’s a lot of lost expertise in pressing that we’ve yet to recover. That said this is an amazing album, Stevie deserves highlighting and if you want it that’s all the justification you need for yourself so don’t spout bollocks that’s quite frankly untrue. Personally I think there is other, out of print, stuff in her stellar career that would have been a better call given there is an amazing sounding recent remaster of this already out there!

Yeah, I know. That's why we need the disinterested involvement of the record label (can't believe I said something that could be construed as positive about record labels). This is definitely a solid pick and despite its popularity at the time, would be something good to expose to their subscribers.

I think I read that Stevie and Lindsay have control of the tapes and that they are in Lindsay’s possession? I think I remember him talking about it and planning a reissue about a decade ago. I wonder does anyone else know anymore.

I’d imagine if it was solely down to the OG label, Polydor, that it’d already have been done, that era of Fleetwood Mac is a licence to print money lol.

Last edited:
You do realise that this has had a Rhino repress was done on 180g vinyl mastered by Bernie Grundman and pressed at Optimal. It came out in 2016 and costs about €15 on Discogs. It sounds immense. I have a copy. I seem to remember rhino pressing it in colour this January too. Also most clean copies of “flimsy 80s presses” I have beat the crap out of modern presses, there’s a lot of lost expertise in pressing that we’ve yet to recover. That said this is an amazing album, Stevie deserves highlighting and if you want it that’s all the justification you need for yourself so don’t spout bollocks that’s quite frankly untrue. Personally I think there is other, out of print, stuff in her stellar career that would have been a better call given there is an amazing sounding recent remaster of this already out there!

If there is a good modern reissue it's one thing. In general though not just this album people react this way. If it's popular and "essential" worthy, then there are used copies widely available and people complain. If it's obscure and rare, then people will complain it's not worthy of labeling "essential."

That said, the UK reissue may be nice, this is the first US reissue in a while though and a really nice variant worthy of getting and definitely worthy of a VMP essential release nonetheless. I think it's more worthy certainly than the Black Sabbath and Queen reissues they did that were just existing masters pressed on colored vinyl. At least this is a new lacquer.

If there is a good modern reissue it's one thing. In general though not just this album people react this way. If it's popular and "essential" worthy, then there are used copies widely available and people complain. If it's obscure and rare, then people will complain it's not worthy of labeling "essential."

That said, the UK reissue may be nice, this is the first US reissue in a while though and a really nice variant worthy of getting and definitely worthy of a VMP essential release nonetheless. I think it's more worthy certainly than the Black Sabbath and Queen reissues they did that were just existing masters pressed on colored vinyl. At least this is a new lacquer.

That was only UK? Oh weird I thought rhino were a global reissues company.

I do think you are conflating too largely different arguments though. The complaints on obscurity are 9/10 to do with obscure artists and obscure albums who can’t be described as essential and aren’t going to be needed in the collections of a large percentage of 30,000 people. My recollection has always been of people really digging the hidden gems in the catalogues of stars. The Van Morrison pick being a case in point, nobody needed another copy of Astral Weeks or Moondance and Veedon Fleece must be one of the very best Essentials they’ve ever done. With Stevie, Bella Donna and The Wild Heart are both pretty easy to get hold of, maybe Rock A Little, another great album that’s rare as hell now, may have been a better pick? I dunno I’m just rambling!

Sometimes they do UK/Europe and US separate releases. And a lot of times one is better than the other. The ZZ Top reissues I know were AAA great Bellman cuts in the US, but digitally sourced and not as good in Europe. Sometimes they do US/UK/European as the same release though, globally.

Never realized how many people must be dying a little on the inside every time they hear Seven Nation Army in the background of a football game. Well crafted take @duke86fan, intentional or not.
Yeah I'm upset because it killed that song for me.

If anything The White Stripes are just Millennial nostalgia garbage.

Sometimes they do UK/Europe and US separate releases. And a lot of times one is better than the other. The ZZ Top reissues I know were AAA great Bellman cuts in the US, but digitally sourced and not as good in Europe. Sometimes they do US/UK/European as the same release though, globally.
The 2016 was not only UK, it is available in the US as well. There are only deadwax details for the UK/EU version on discogs though. So, if there is a difference, I'm not sure where it is pressed. The gold one, which sounds like the same plates, says EU on discogs, but it is an official Start Your Ear Off Right title that appears to be available at normal price in the US, so the discogs listing is probably wrong, unless there is a difference and someone hasn't listed the US one yet.

So is Nicks the first 80s essential? I mean, I know the De La Soul was 89 but that’s practically the next decade. Either way, great pick.
Yeh, it’s odd to me that there’s still no “like Totally 80s”(said in valley girl voice) ROTM, these two picks very easily slide back into the 70s FM with Stevie, and slide up into 90s hip hop with De La. Is it so hard to just give us a damn Bananarama record already!?🤣

Age 54 and been a fan of White Stripes since I first heard them.

Same here, 47 and love the White Stripes. I also believe they don’t receive the credit they are due for creating a seismic shift in Rock music. I’m not saying they were Nirvana, but rock was in the toilet by the end of the 90s. They were a much needed re-injection of raw energy. Also, Meg❤️🖤🤍

Same here, 47 and love the White Stripes. I also believe they don’t receive the credit they are due for creating a seismic shift in Rock music. I’m not saying they were Nirvana, but rock was in the toilet by the end of the 90s. They were a much needed re-injection of raw energy. Also, Meg❤🖤🤍
I just turned 38 in December, I was in my late teens early 20’s when the White Stripes and Strokes became a thing, they were the soundtrack to my young adulthood. I appreciate that they were able to help make rock music “cool” again for a short while. That being said for a younger generation, that was not there during the time I can see how it easily mixes in with a lot and of what came before. Not so much a revolution as a modern revival.

Back