Vinyl Me Please Essentials

That’s the best part of these discussions. There usually isn’t a perfect answer. The Dolls are probably the first band to go all in on Glam rock. The Ramones are probably the first true pure Punk band. The influences though are all debatable. For Punk: MC5, Television, The Stooges, Patti Smith?

Is this 10 disc Woodstock box set really a swap option??? Did VMP lose some warehouse space or something?
TBH I think I would be bummed if I got the Woodstock box for free. I don’t have space for on my shelves for that much meh. I am happy for everyone who’s into it can pick up a copy on the cheap. It’s also nice for VMP just to take the “L” on this and clear them out to the subscribers.

hope you enjoy stevie nicks and white stripes.. though they aren't particularly my thing (i dont really like the specific soundstyle jack white goes for but i get why many do, and though stevie nicks MIGHT be useful its probably a "i'd probably make a swap if im really desperate" choice for me along with caroline rose).. i might not completely leave VMP because i have stockholm syndrome because rap and hip hop usually does some pretty good stuff and they'll find one album i never knew i wanted on vinyl, but i just will be off the essentials train for these next couple months

TBH I think I would be bummed if I got the Woodstock box for free. I don’t have space for on my shelves for that much meh. I am happy for everyone who’s into it can pick up a copy on the cheap. It’s also nice for VMP just to take the “L” on this and clear them out to the subscribers.
When did swaps become something that locked after making your pick? Because of that, I have 2 of these behemoths coming my way. So unless I can find a trade, look out PIF thread! 10 colored frisbees comin' at ya. You're right though, I'm shocked they're admitting defeat on this so early, and not just tossing it in half off bin for the next decade.

That’s the best part of these discussions. There usually isn’t a perfect answer. The Dolls are probably the first band to go all in on Glam rock. The Ramones are probably the first true pure Punk band. The influences though are all debatable. For Punk: MC5, Television, The Stooges, Patti Smith?
I have to disgree with you on Glam Rock. Tyrannosaurus Rex for sure.

Yeah, I think punk started in NY. Maybe starting with Verlaine and Hell (I don't know if any other single person deserves as much credit as he does for punk) in Neon Boys/Television. Although they kind of blurred into it. I think Ramones/Heartbreakers are the first big punk bands.

Definitely on those influences but I don't think you can leave the Dolls out, especially Johnny.

I think a lot of stuff that made it happen didn't really make it to an album (at least not near when it started being performed), so it's harder to pin down.

Last edited:
When did swaps become something that locked after making your pick? Because of that, I have 2 of these behemoths coming my way. So unless I can find a trade, look out PIF thread! 10 colored frisbees comin' at ya. You're right though, I'm shocked they're admitting defeat on this so early, and not just tossing it in half off bin for the next decade.
Well they seem to have only put a limited amount into swaps and the rest are still for sale. It would appear they are looking to sneak surprise items into swaps for early swappers, I imagine they’re trying to win back the good faith of the people by making swaptions actually desirable and in some cases highly valuable. I’m getting the feeling we may see left over Anthology sets appear in swaps over the coming months as well.

Tracklisting has been reordered for this release, checking the video. It’s

A1. 1969
A2. Not Right
A3. We Will Fall
B1. No Fun
B2. Real Cool Time
B3. Ann
B4. Little Doll
B5. I Wanna Be Your Dog

So slightly different than the order from streaming and slightly different from the original track order. Tracks will also be at the proper speed.

61034EF4-0100-4600-BDE7-610995D7DE52.png

I'd imagine the acrimony between Lindsey and Stevie after the former was fired from Fleetwood Mac last year might make getting Buckingham Nicks pressed an even bigger problem.

Don't mind the next two picks, but I do wish that they had done the OOP Buckingham-Nicks album instead of her most famous album.

Yeah because interpersonal relations and band politics haven’t kept this out of print for nearly 50 years! With relations between the two at complete rock bottom there’s more chance of pigs flying than anyone repressing Buckingham Nicks. If we do have an epidemic of flying hogs though could you save me a copy please!

It's not just her. Who do you think buys the $400+ tickets for Fleetwood Mack or Nicks' solo tours?

Well yeah, people tend to like the music that was out when they were in their teens/twenties. Nostalgia is a thing. If she’s a boomer it is kinda implied that most of her long term fans are too.

That said, this millennial adores Stevie too! She’s awesome!

Everyone: "this is an obscure album, it is not ESSENTIAL"

...Also everyone: "Ugh this album is so popular that it's easy to find a used version for cheap"

🙄🙄🙄

I believe the latter crowd doesn't get the concept of a vinyl reissue.
You guys can keep your worn out old copies of Bella Donna on flimsy 80s vinyl. I'll take this shiny new AAA reissue on colored vinyl with a nice art print and outstanding packaging that most likely sounds better than any copy you can buy.

Back