Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I've got the TMR RSD 2LP Detroit Edition and it sounds great and includes a bunch of the Cale mixes on the second disc. I'd recommend that version to anyone interested. Chris Bellman cut the second disc of bonus tracks so I wouldn't be surprised if he also did this full Cale Mix LP for VMP...
I snagged the yellow TMR Detroit Edition version with the screenprinted jacket from the TMR Rolling Record Store years ago.

So I'm assuming I can probably skip this month's essentials.

Damn, someone needs to do a spreadsheet to keep track of the different pressings, masterings and plates.
I snagged the yellow TMR Detroit Edition version with the screenprinted jacket from the TMR Rolling Record Store years ago.

So I'm assuming I can probably skip this month's essentials.

Yeah that yellow one is the exact same release/plates as the Detroit Edition RSD that I have, but in much nicer packaging. So yeah, you can probably skip this month unless you feel a great need to hear a much rawer and slightly more painful to listen to version of the same album.

I’m into this pick. I don’t have any Stooges so I’m different than some of you. But listening to the mixes on Spotify, I’m fine with the more stripped down tone. I also like the track listing being different. Or maybe, I just don’t care since I’m not used to it being the way it was released.

I’m into this pick. I don’t have any Stooges so I’m different than some of you. But listening to the mixes on Spotify, I’m fine with the more stripped down tone. I also like the track listing being different. Or maybe, I just don’t care since I’m not used to it being the way it was released.
Same here - no Stooges in my collection so this is a great pick for me, alternate mix or otherwise. Would have been pretty cool if they had done a 2xLP release with both mixes, but NBD...

Yeah.. I'm not sure what to think about this one... I mean, there's no doubt that the Stooges are a great pick, but the few songs I've listened to of this mix, I'm not digging. I think I agree with some of the other posts that this is a curio for Stooges fans. Not sure it's something I really need in my collection. This might be a good month to swap.

Same here - no Stooges in my collection so this is a great pick for me, alternate mix or otherwise. Would have been pretty cool if they had done a 2xLP release with both mixes, but NBD...
I agree with the 2nd part of this statement but I think it’s a super strange choice as VMP main release. I, also don’t have any Stooges records in my collection and would by super excited if you gave me a quality pressing of the released mix as the ROTM and then included the Cale mix either as a bonus 2nd LP or offered as an instore exclusive. As is, I am likely going to either swap this out or just grab the other 2 tracks for this month and maybe use the $26 that I save to purchase a copy of the Rhino reissues. I would not spin the alternate mix enough to justify the shelf space and there is no good reason to order an alternate mix when that money could go towards something more, dare I say, “essential”.

Anyone still in the club who's willing to get Stooges Cale Mixes and sell to me, I am interested. I have a friend who's still a member who is trying to get two, don't know if that's possible.

If I miss it, I can certainly wait until the secondary market, someone will get bored of it and put it up for sale. For me it's a curio, I do have lots of Stooges in my collection already. (LOL at the Three Stooges in this pic)

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 9.58.23 AM.png

This is a good compilation for those new to the Stooges.

Before I picked up the self-titled and Fun House, I grabbed this one.

Last edited:
I like it I’m going to pick it up one of these days , assuming it’s not actually sold out.
I can almost guarantee you this record will not sell out. (Or at the very least will be like $20 on Discogs in a few months)

I think most of the new release essentials wind up dirt cheap on Discogs. Case in point, the new Sleater-Kinney record starts at $12.50 and there are 66 of them listed Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won't Hold (Vinyl, US, 2019) For Sale | Discogs

Not that anyone needs to hear my take on the Caroline Rose record but personally it feels a little flat. Probably need to give it a few more plays through. I loved Loner, and while I know this record is sonically different it's still kind of sad that it isn't clicking so far.

Anyone still in the club who's willing to get Stooges Cale Mixes and sell to me, I am interested. I have a friend who's still a member who is trying to get two, don't know if that's possible.

If I miss it, I can certainly wait until the secondary market, someone will get bored of it and put it up for sale. For me it's a curio, I do have lots of Stooges in my collection already. (LOL at the Three Stooges in this pic)

View attachment 37646
I'm not positive on this, but IIRC, last month you could swap all 3 tracks to the same ROTM if you wanted.

If that's the case, my buddy can add a track and get me one for 23, right?
As long as it's the same as last month, yup. He could pick his ROTM, add the other tracks and then swap em' for the same. Have him try that and if it doesn't work, I may grab Stooges for my ROTM and could be open to selling it but I want to see swaps first. Keep me posted!

Back