Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I have FLAC files of the speed-corrected Cale mixes, I should give them a listen.

Hopefully VMP knows that they are in need of speed correction.

I think the speed error was only for that particular Rhino Handmade CD release. Other releases of the Cale mix and the few tracks that were on the recent 2xLP version didn't have the speed issue I don't think.

I have FLAC files of the speed-corrected Cale mixes, I should give them a listen.

Hopefully VMP knows that they are in need of speed correction.
Since Rhino didn't give a crap about it since 2005 my guess is VMP will press what they are given. The 50th anniversary version that Rhino put out last year for stream is also at the wrong speed.

Since Rhino didn't give a crap about it since 2005 my guess is VMP will press what they are given. The 50th anniversary version that Rhino put out last year for stream is also at the wrong speed.
Really, not just the 2010 CD release? People in that linked thread say the 2005 and 2xLP versions are correct. Are you saying they are mistaken?

Edit: oh someone at the end of that thread said the 50th was bad too except for one song.

Last edited:
Sorry got it screwed up. When the streaming version was released it was the wrong version but Rhino corrected it.
I've got the TMR RSD 2LP Detroit Edition and it sounds great and includes a bunch of the Cale mixes on the second disc. I'd recommend that version to anyone interested. Chris Bellman cut the second disc of bonus tracks so I wouldn't be surprised if he also did this full Cale Mix LP for VMP...

Ole dead eyes?

I mean you can also mention nada surf, that new seater Kinney, Cecilia y Johnny, Mr. Hands, Sarah Webster fabio

And including hip hop. N.E.R.D

From the old forum days, Ole Dead Eyes = Kevin Morby.

They've done some fine new releases (Moses Sumney, St. Vincent), but I'm not sure new releases are essential.

Celia y Johnny is a classic Salsa album. If Salsa should be in the Classics track is probably a different argument.

I think that this is a fantastic curio for Stooges fans to have in their collection, but in terms of members who don't really know The Stooges I think that this is generally a disservice to this album. The Cale mix is tinny and distorted and while it's definitely interesting in terms of the differences between it and the wide release mixing in my opinion it's a much tougher listen than the wide release. It's certainly more raw, it certainly sounds more "punk", but in my opinion it's inferior to the wide release mix. But I also have the Bowie and the Iggy Raw Power Mix along with the Iggy Raw Power Mix/KG remix so this wouldn't be the first duplicate Stooges album in my collection. But seriously, if you don't know this album, I'd suggest checking out the KG remaster before you make the JC mix your go to...
Sorry, correction on this one, it's not actually a KG remaster, KG did Raw Power. It's Ian Sefchick and Chris Bellman who did the Stooges 2LP pressing that I'm referring to.

Anyone looking for the 2010 issue of this, Shuga records, who @Jonathan Y pointed out are having a sale with the code "thank you", seem to have it for $17.99. For some reason the listing title says 2018, but everything in the description is for the 2010 release. If it is the 2018 version, that is the RSD 2XLP, which people seem to like as well, but that's doubtful.

Yeah it's the 2010 one going by the info there. Wouldn't be $18 if it wasn't. The 2 LP one was cut by Bellman for RSD. The 2010 one was Ron McMaster pressed at Rainbo

They also have the Kevin Gray cut Legacy 2xLP Raw Power, which has both mixes, if anyone wants an 2/3 ESSENTIAL Stooges collection for $42 shipped. Too bad they are sold out on the Fun House Rhino or you could get free shipping on the full collection.

Yeah it's the 2010 one going by the info there. Wouldn't be $18 if it wasn't. The 2 LP one was cut by Bellman for RSD. The 2010 one was Ron McMaster pressed at Rainbo
I think someone might have mentioned it above, but the RSD one is Ian Sefchick for the first disc and CB for the second disc with the different versions/mixes of songs. Just in case anyone gets confused about that one.

Last edited:
I think someone might have mentioned it above, but the RSD one is Ian Sefchick for the first disc and CB for the second disc with the different versions/mixes of songs. Just in case anyone gets confused about that one.
What is the audio source for that 2LP set? The 2010 one is AAA if anyone is wondering.

What is the audio source for that 2LP set? The 2010 one is AAA if anyone is wondering.
If you mean s/t, I'm not sure, but I've seen some people prefer the 2010 RM to the IS. I think the first disc of the 2xLP is a repress of the Rocktober 2016 plates. I only have the 2010 and it is excellent.

Back