Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Agreed, and I am glad it's one of his harder to find albums. I was really excited for the recent release of Time In. Now they just need to do a good AP pressing of Time Further Out. I have now bought that album three times in various crates and used bins, yet to find one without a few unfortunate and intrusive scratches throughout.
I have the Impex reissue of Time Further Out and while I wouldn't call it AP quality it is pretty good. Cut at Sterling, pressed at RTI.

Last edited:
Head above the Parapet. I’m sure Brubeck will be great and one of the more worthy classics but am I the only person who is wondering why there has been so little so soul and no real blues at all this year? It’s less the classics and more the jazz...
Apparently next month is Blues according to Storf.

I mean they've done Buddy Guy, Al Green, Isley Brothers, Muddy Waters, Sister Rosetta Tharpe (gospel but with a blues bent), Nat Turner Rebellion and Eddie Floyd all in the past year. They're doing blues in December. If anything, this year has been pretty balanced. Plus, they're saving more Stax for the eventual Stax Anthology next year to torture you.

I mean they've done Buddy Guy, Al Green, Isley Brothers, Muddy Waters, Sister Rosetta Tharpe (gospel but with a blues bent), Nat Turner Rebellion and Eddie Floyd all in the past year. They're doing blues in December. If anything, this year has been pretty balanced. Plus, they're saving more Stax for the eventual Stax Anthology next year to torture you.

Eddie Floyd and Muddy Waters were 2018. In 2019 there have been (knowing Nov is Jazz and Dec Blues)

5 jazz albums
1 soul album
2 funk albums
2 blues albums
1 salsa album
1 gospel album

Thats not balanced at all

Even if the records is getting a mass release, at least those who sub to vmp for it get a new color that if you were already in the vmp ecosystem is cheaper
I think the problem is people joined for 3 months for 1 record. Thats not cheaper especially for international folks. The color is cool but I dont think the roll out was on the level.

I think the problem is people joined for 3 months for 1 record. Thats not cheaper especially for international folks. The color is cool but I dont think the roll out was on the level.

BINGO! I have no problem with the price of it as an individual record and the colour is really nice. It’s being stuck in for the other two months for something that’s coming out only one month later that’s annoying.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Their marketing material basically said that if you do a 3 month subscription today these are the 3 albums you will get and we expect them to sell out. I'd agree it would have been shady had they not announced all 3 at the same time and it was like "you'll get Songs for the Deaf and 2 other albums we'll tell you about later."

Doves are still great though.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Their marketing material basically said that if you do a 3 month subscription today these are the 3 albums you will get and we expect them to sell out. I'd agree it would have been shady had they not announced all 3 at the same time and it was like "you'll get Songs for the Deaf and 2 other albums we'll tell you about later."

Doves are still great though.
I don’t get all what all the hubbub is about. It was probably a bit misleading but it’s not like anyone who feels they were misled or duped couldn’t easily contact CS and have their 3 month membership cancelled/refunded. The records won’t be shipped for another 3 weeks.

I don’t get all what all the hubbub is about. It was probably a bit misleading but it’s not like anyone who feels they were misled or duped couldn’t easily contact CS and have their 3 month membership cancelled/refunded. The records won’t be shipped for another 3 weeks.
Most of their records of the month have a 1 year window of exclusivity. There have been a few exceptions to that which had 6 months I believe, but the assumption is 1 year for all records of the month. If this was a store exclusive variant than there truly is nothing to complain about, but it isn’t. It’s the biggest bomb to drop on the vinyl world in ages if you listen to the company spokesperson.

The fact that people can likely get a refund due to the deception( they likely can’t, since most shipments have gone out for this month already) doesn’t excuse deceptive practices in any way.

Most of their records of the month have a 1 year window of exclusivity. There have been a few exceptions to that which had 6 months I believe, but the assumption is 1 year for all records of the month. If this was a store exclusive variant than there truly is nothing to complain about, but it isn’t. It’s the biggest bomb to drop on the vinyl world in ages if you listen to the company spokesperson.

The fact that people can likely get a refund due to the deception( they likely can’t, since most shipments have gone out for this month already) doesn’t excuse deceptive practices in any way.
No one else is selling the same version as VMP though.

But, QOTSA sent an email out like right after VMP announced that basically said this would happen. Didn't we all know because of that? I'm surprised that some are surprised.

Last edited:
I’m getting three records I want at a not-insane price point from a company that has a good return/replacement policy (although not as good as it used to be, according to those around then). I’m satisfied! For now. When January rolls around and they announce another crate digger release I don’t care at all about, I’ll jump ship again!

Also, I’m with Joe regarding the neatness of this place, particularly the N&G AoTM threads. There have been 3 (soon to be 4) AMAs with artists, homemade but professional looking translated lyrics packages, debates about ice cream, Personal Fruit Rankings, and meatloaf’s discography. Selections have included stuff as diverse as Mark de Clive-Lowe, Lou Reed, Khemmis, Nicole Atkins, Camarón (flamenco!!), and The Ruen Brothers. This place is way more fun and has far more potential than being a VMP fansite (But I don’t begrudge the VMP fans! I still subscribe and come here for news. Just saying, there’s more here to enjoy!)

Hey remember the uproar last fall about how the new (better) shipping system was going to have truthful customs declarations? A few of us international folk, myself included, got dinged with customs charges. Just looked at my box that arrived today. The customs declaration says 1 album valued at $1. Not complaining, just find it funny is all.

Hey remember the uproar last fall about how the new (better) shipping system was going to have truthful customs declarations? A few of us international folk, myself included, got dinged with customs charges. Just looked at my box that arrived today. The customs declaration says 1 album valued at $1. Not complaining, just find it funny is all.

that was hilarious. No box I’ve had before or after that nonsense had an amount greater than $1 a record declared. One of the times that their incompetence has been hugely beneficial for me lmao!

But, QOTSA sent an email out like right after VMP announced that basically said this would happen. Didn't we all know because of that? I'm surprised that some are surprised.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a matter of surprise. A few of us called out the possibility that VMP might have been trying to grab up three months of cash from people(right at the end of the business quarter), making it seem like it was the only way to ensure that they receive a highly sought after record(fomo at its finest), right before it was announced that it would be widely available, and if anything it’s just kind of amazing that we were right.

This is the kind of thing that people would normally blast them for but the reaction has been pretty mild If you ask me. I’ve only been a customer for about 2 years on and off, but this is the shadiest thing I have seen VMP pull BY FAR. And it’s not even personal for me. I don’t care for QOTSA and I won’t be grabbing any version of the record.

Back