Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Discuss VMP on here. 3 threads. 5 threads. 152 threads. It doesn’t really matter. I wouldn’t use an official forum by them again anyway, as they might just take the headstaggers and close it again. But I don’t need to buy off them religiously. I hope they get their shit together as they had a good product. If they put some Dio or Bowie or Prince in the store I would be back probably. But i’m sure I could get the same item without signing up again

In other non-related essentials news....
Ive just bought Tears for fears - “Songs from the big chair.” Its going on headphones now (suspect i will slowly doze off to it)
Managed to fight urge to add INXS - Kick. But that day is coming - its an itch i cant scratch.
I’ve been resisting the urge to buy inxs too...the day will be soon😂
Oh man, Kick is one of the greatest albums of all time. You guys need to get on it.

The one year exclusive window is that the title is only available for members to buy for 1 year. Nothing to do with the title being available through others.

I'm just glad to be getting the color version and not having to pay more retail for the standard black version.

This actually isn’t true. The only reason that I know anything about the window of exclusivity is that people were complaining to the company representative in the old forum about how some past records of the month were popping up in stores(not the VMP versions) and he mentioned that it’s usually a year but they made a couple of exceptions, which were 6 months. I’d quote it for you but those records burned up in a PR nightmare fire that you may recall. You are right though that they have started releasing variants in the r/hh sub this year, which is total garbage, but people keep buying them, so why should they stop selling them? People, please stop buying them so they are forced to release actual exclusives again.
Yeah, it was a thing with Odelay too. Generally for ROTM reissues like this there is a 1 year exclusivity clause meaning 1year before the label will put out any other variant. This isn't the case for "store exclusives" that are just one of several variants or for new releases, but for the most part these oop reissues have a period during which the only available reissue is VMP's.

Yeah, it was a thing with Odelay too. Generally for ROTM reissues like this there is a 1 year exclusivity clause meaning 1year before the label will put out any other variant. This isn't the case for "store exclusives" that are just one of several variants or for new releases, but for the most part these oop reissues have a period during which the only available reissue is VMP's.

Im wondering if this is a thing of the past for any of the bigger bands/ artists. The Vinyl resurgence is well and truly out of the bag - No way a QOTSA release was gonna offer them 12 months.
They will likey just drop this as a selling point and make sure package is the best on the market. Or go for smaller niche releases - probably a little bit of both.

Im wondering if this is a thing of the past for any of the bigger bands/ artists. The Vinyl resurgence is well and truly out of the bag - No way a QOTSA release was gonna offer them 12 months.
They will likey just drop this as a selling point and make sure package is the best on the market. Or go for smaller niche releases - probably a little bit of both.

The exclusivity is a very specific thing though, so a different colour and weight wouldn't break the agreement.

Four Tet released the same record within weeks of the VMP release and didn't fall foul of the rules by making it 140g instead of 180g. VMP were pissed but nothing they could do.

I mean rated r is the better album but this is the whale, rated r hasn’t really ever been out of print whereas this is one people have been begging for since the vinyl revival.
IMO, Rated R is better as a whole album and SFTD has better individual tracks. I love both though.
Kinda agree and see where you are coming from but In The Fade is my favourite QOTSA song.
I appreciate that the entire Interscope run is getting reissued as it is nice to have both. I think songs has way more appeal as an essentials pick (when it came out, Dave Grohl was a huge topic of buzz). I was listening to the demos and isolated drum tracks at work yesterday and the songs hold up.

I appreciate that the entire Interscope run is getting reissued as it is nice to have both. I think songs has way more appeal as an essentials pick (when it came out, Dave Grohl was a huge topic of buzz). I was listening to the demos and isolated drum tracks at work yesterday and the songs hold up.

Yeah that all stands but I think the reason we’ve all been clamouring for songs is that it had an initial press of 500 in the US and 500 in the UK and nothing since, it’s most people’s white whale from QOTSA. While all the others are getting nice reissues now too they have all been pretty readily available on vinyl since their release, I’ve found it easy enough to get their whole discography on vinyl other than songs over the last 6 years that I’ve been collecting.

I had never heard of QOTSA before this album, I remember checking it out just because I wanted to hear Dave Grohl on drums again! After that, I got into other QOTSA albums!

Has anybody asked whether there are any other exclusives (besides desert sessions) associated with this pick? Them Crooked Vultures would be especially cool, but another QOTSA album or an early Foo Fighters album would also be great (yes I realize these are all long shots, but a man can dream, right?).

I had never heard of QOTSA before this album, I remember checking it out just because I wanted to hear Dave Grohl on drums again! After that, I got into other QOTSA albums!

Has anybody asked whether there are any other exclusives (besides desert sessions) associated with this pick? Them Crooked Vultures would be especially cool, but another QOTSA album or an early Foo Fighters album would also be great (yes I realize these are all long shots, but a man can dream, right?).
I think (and don't quote me on this) that Storf said on Reddit that there wouldn't be exclusives with this AOTM?

I'm just surprised alot of people like Rated R. I find it to be their weakest output. Songs like Tension Head, Quick and to the Pointless, Auto Pilot and Lightning Song just drag it down for me so much.

Better Living Through Chemistry, I Think I Lost my Headache and Leg of Lamb are great songs but I don't feel like they could carry the album.

Rated R feels like growing pains especially between S/T and SFTD. Both just seem more solid in sound.

I'm just surprised alot of people like Rated R. I find it to be their weakest output. Songs like Tension Head, Quick and to the Pointless, Auto Pilot and Lightning Song just drag it down for me so much.

Better Living Through Chemistry, I Think I Lost my Headache and Leg of Lamb are great songs but I don't feel like they could carry the album.

Rated R feels like growing pains especially between S/T and SFTD. Both just seem more solid in sound.

It has got two absolute bangers on it though.. lost art and feel good hit..

Those 2 are great songs. But SFTD has No One Knows, Millionaire, Go with the Flow. These songs are quintessential Queens and bangers. Rated R cannot come close to Songs for the Deaf
I disagree. Both are good albums but Rated R IMO is a succinct breezy listen. SFTD is a bit overlong and drags a bit. I am not gonna besmirch anyone’s preference but song for song I would take Rated R every day of the week and twice on Sunday over SFTD.

Back