Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Here's a potential 1994 album that could fit - Meat Puppets, Too High to Die.

From what I can tell, depending on how you count a 1986 EP, it could be considered their 9th.
Meat Puppets would be awesome! That’s a really solid album and by far their most accessible and successful (single Backwater). I don’t think it has ever been reissued either. I would be surprised if it is actually them though.

Monster > Mariah Carey
I guess most people on here would agree with that. But Mariah Carey’s “Daydream” was Mariah Carey in her prime vocally. Her whistle chops and higher register overall was so powerful and elegant. Her lyrics had matured and the compositions were more jazz and soul based. You had the uplifting, Stark gospel track “I Am Free”, the dreamy and retro Minnie Riperton-like track “Underneath The Stars”. You had darker moments in their like “Long Ago” and “Open Arms”. Bittersweet moments like “One Sweet Day” and “Always Be My Baby”. Psychedelic, subdued, trippy moments like “Daydream Interlude” and “Melt Away”. And you just had tracks that were just pure bliss like the classic “Fantasy”. Mariah Carey doesn’t lose focus at all on this classic album!

This was Mariah Carey at her prime. Monster was not R.E.M. at their prime, even though I know it’s considered a great album. R.E.M.’s better albums came before Monster.

Just listen tin Mariah Carey’s vocals alone. They are so pure, mature, enchanting, blissful, powerful and have a great youthful subtlety.

Mariah Carey “Daydream” > R.E.M. “Monster”

Found another - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Let Love In.

Wikipedia says 8th studio album, but they released a live album the year before, so... 🤷‍♂️
Would be awesome too but all of those albums just got reissued so if it’s just a color variant, Newbury style, that would be quite lame.

I guess most people on here would agree with that. But Mariah Carey’s “Daydream” was Mariah Carey in her prime vocally. Her whistle chops and higher register overall was so powerful and elegant. Her lyrics had matured and the compositions were more jazz and soul based. You had the uplifting, Stark gospel track “I Am Free”, the dreamy and retro Minnie Riperton-like track “Underneath The Stars”. You had darker moments in their like “Long Ago” and “Open Arms”. Bittersweet moments like “One Sweet Day” and “Always Be My Baby”. Psychedelic, subdued, trippy moments like “Daydream Interlude” and “Melt Away”. And you just had tracks that were just pure bliss like the classic “Fantasy”. Mariah Carey doesn’t lose focus at all on this classic album!

This was Mariah Carey at her prime. Monster was not R.E.M. at their prime, even though I know it’s considered a great album. R.E.M.’s better albums came before Monster.

Just listen tin Mariah Carey’s vocals alone. They are so pure, mature, enchanting, blissful, powerful and have a great youthful subtlety.

Mariah Carey “Daydream” > R.E.M. “Monster”

I just said this bc I knew it would get you going lol

But they said that it's NOT Monster....
Monster is not sexy enough though. Only thing sexy about it is that a track is called “Star 69” on the album.....just kidding 😂

I want something brutally sexy like PJ Harvey’s Rid Of Me. I need that “I like it rough/rebellious” kinda sexy. R.E.M.’s Monster isn’t that 🙅‍♂️

So do we have a candidate other than the Flaming Lips? I am happy if they are the pick because I somehow have no vinyl album of theirs.

Someone said the Meat Puppets but according to discogs they didn't have an album out in '94 (No Joke! was 1995) and I think someone else suggested Sonic Youth but I think some fuzzy math is involved to make Experimental Jet Set their ninth album.

So uh, yeah right now I think Flaming Lips is our frontrunner unless there's a band we're overlooking.

Someone said the Meat Puppets but according to discogs they didn't have an album out in '94 (No Joke! was 1995) and I think someone else suggested Sonic Youth but I think some fuzzy math is involved to make Experimental Jet Set their ninth album.

So uh, yeah right now I think Flaming Lips is our frontrunner unless there's a band we're overlooking.
The Meat Puppets’ Too High To Die was released in January of 1994

Ah I see, discogs' default 1993 date for it is due to a promo cassette of it. That makes sense.

But in that case it looks like you also need to include a live album promo to make it the ninth album. Feels kind of complicated to me, but I guess I wouldn't fully discount it just yet.

Back