Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Flaming Lips and Da Brat seem more likely. I feel if it were gonna be Monster they would have already made it more clear that it was on the way as to avoid losing sales to preorders. Plus Flamimg Lips rarely missed an opportunity to sell product and they have been pretty mum on 20th anniversary Soft Bulletin.

I believe Storf indicated there would be a few exclusives tied to the October ROTM. I would be happy with either release.

I own a copy of Soft Bulletin but would love a gatefold colored press and I will be picking up a copy of Monster too one way or another. So either way I am happy but my gut feels like FL is the pick.

Not thrilled with all 4 guesses so far, Really hoping Gorillaz and BIG are available for me . I do like Eve she a cool tough chick from Philly. I think my 3rd ever concert was the Flaming Lips opening for the Butthole Surfers and Stone Temple Pilots. I remember the singer had a weird annoying voice and I never followed them I really only know their song about Vasoline, but I'll check out their catalog. Not a fan of REM mostly because our local radio station always has this booming voice saying EVERYTHING THAT ROCCCCKKKKKS and I hate when they play that whiney me in the corner song. That song does not ROCCCCCK. Da Brat's okay I don't need to own it, I had the biggest crush on her sister Diamond from Playas Club though.

2 Exclusives to go along with Essential pick.

If it's The Flaming Lips, hopefully Yoshimi and Clouds Taste Metallic?

If it's Sonic Youth, hopefully Daydream Nation and Sister? (Making the band's 7th best album the Essential, while their best two albums exclusives seems like a very VMP thing to do.)

Are there other band/album possibilities that fit 9th album and '94 or '99, or do we have it down to these two?

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 11.00.24 AM.png

If it's Sonic Youth, hopefully Daydream Nation and Sister? (Making the band's 7th best album the Essential, while their best two albums exclusives seems like a very VMP thing to do.)

Are there other band/album possibilities that fit 9th album and '94 or '99, or do we have it down to these two?

View attachment 16609
I think It's probably not Sonic Youth. Experimental Jet Set listed as Sonic Youths 8th album on the wiki (and Storf seems to use wikipedia when making the pronouncement on which number release it is) The thought process currently is Either Flaming Lips/Da Brat or REM/Eve depending on which album is 1994 and which is 1999. I think Flaming Lips/Da Brat.

Last edited:

View attachment 16609

I don’t think it’s R.E.M. it’s not like they’re going to have exclusives of New Adventures and UP or really any of their albums probably. Also Monster is far from essential and R.E.M. is my favorite band.

View attachment 16609

7th-best is generous. Off the top of my head A Thousand Leaves, Murray Street, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, EVOL, Rather Ripped are all better albums, and probably Washing Machine too.

I don’t think it’s R.E.M. it’s not like they’re going to have exclusives of New Adventures and UP or really any of their albums probably. Also Monster is far from essential and R.E.M. is my favorite band.
Jim Sullivan's U.F.O. is far from essential as well, but that didn't stop VMP.

100% This. If you go back through Essentials to the very beginning, how many of VMPs albums would one consider truly "essential"? I know everyone's criteria and taste is different, but for me:

Jorge Ben, Loretta Lynn, De La Soul, maybe FlyLo, maybe Queen, Notorious B.I.G, maybe The National, maybe Fiona, maybe Gorillaz, Nina Simone, Beck, maybe Weezer, The Fugees, Black Sabbath, Lee "Scratch Perry, J Dilla, maybe Ben Webster, Madvillian, maybe Japandroids.

What's that? 10 truly essential records and eight maybes? Out of 81 titles. But two of my favourites, Feist and Van Morrison, are not albums I would consider essential, but I love them. Remember the motto: "Curate, don't accumulate."

7th-best is generous. Off the top of my head A Thousand Leaves, Murray Street, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty, EVOL, Rather Ripped are all better albums, and probably Washing Machine too.
I mean "The Diamond Sea" is better and being that is like a whole side of an LP I would give Washing Machine the edge.

Back