Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I find Cake much more enjoyable than Gorillaz, and their vinyl pressings are as hard to come by as Demon Days was before 2017.

Yes, chart discussions are stupid, especially in this case. Most of the stuff that sold millions in the 90s has already been repressed, so a niche pick like Cake would make sense. That said, Storf doesn’t like them either so I don’t think they’re a real contender.

What I will stand by is that I’d be much more interested in a Cake ROTM than any Gorillaz album, but that’s just a matter of preference. They’re a feel-good band and I think many people rediscovered their 90s output years after the fact. “Never There” slaps.

I’m honestly more curious about November now. “Most metal since Sabbath” unfortunately could mean “less metal than Sabbath, more metal than Queen” which is still quite a wide gap in heaviness.

That’s you I am probably the opposite. VMP only have to justify it to themselves that they can sell enough copies to make a profit. Again that wasn’t what I was saying but still I give up with this thread.

More like if they think Jim Sullivan’s UFO is worth a ROTM, anything is possible!

I just cannot get down with that release one bit. I know it’s not a terrible album, but an Essentials ROTM?!?!?

Yeah, it's Mariah for me. With her one-of-a-kind vocal skills, that would have been a great AOTM.

I'm kind of surprised by all the love for Cake as well. "The Distance" was their big hit, but they were pretty niche beyond that. They're more Eels than Gorillaz, and I think of Eels as more successful. Maybe Superdrag or Presidents of the USA level? Definitely not Gorillaz.

Cake is definitely more successful than Eels. I feel like they had a lot more radio/commercial success... Plus, one of my favorite Weird Al songs is a Cake style parody and you know you've made it when Weird Al parodies you...

Cake is definitely more successful than Eels. I feel like they had a lot more radio/commercial success... Plus, one of my favorite Weird Al songs is a Cake style parody and you know you've made it when Weird Al parodies you...

Definitely not internationally, I don’t remember Cake at all and their performance outside the US and reviews don’t follow that logic.

The Eels were a much bigger deal here, regularly on the radio/music tv and E was regularly in NME and Melody Maker being interviewed.

I also hate Weird Al...

Definitely not internationally, I don’t remember Cake at all and their performance outside the US and reviews don’t follow that logic.

The Eels were a much bigger deal here, regularly on the radio/music tv and E was regularly in NME and Melody Maker being interviewed.

I also hate Weird Al...

These geographical discrepancies are funny. Eels had zero presence in Brazil, whereas Cake had several songs in high rotation on mainstream radio/MTV ("Never There," "Short Skirt, Long Jacket," etc.). So basically we're all right and also all wrong.

These geographical discrepancies are funny. Eels had zero presence in Brazil, whereas Cake had several songs in high rotation on mainstream radio/MTV ("Never There," "Short Skirt, Long Jacket," etc.). So basically we're all right and also all wrong.

Apart from the bigger get than Gorrilaz nonsense, whoever said that was just WRONG!

I also hate Weird Al...

I'm french, and Cake was bigger than Eels during my uni years. Not huge, but famous enough that we were several to own a few records from them. They are not Gorillaz huge, but they are kinda big in my book.

I'm french, and Cake was bigger than Eels during my uni years. Not huge, but famous enough that we were several to own a few records from them. They are not Gorillaz huge, but they are kinda big in my book.

Weird! I have absolutely no recollection of them or them being in the indie/rock music magazines and radio or on M2 on the tele!

I'm kind of surprised by all the love for Cake as well. "The Distance" was their big hit, but they were pretty niche beyond that. They're more Eels than Gorillaz, and I think of Eels as more successful. Maybe Superdrag or Presidents of the USA level? Definitely not Gorillaz.

Don’t forget Never There and Short Skirt/Long Jacket!

Back