Vinyl Me Please Essentials

that's kind of surprising. it still says september shipping so it doesn't look like it's delayed... yet
They always seem to wait for the last minute to let us know its delayed :rolleyes:

I'd love to start an over/under poll on Pinata, i'll be shocked if it comes by mid-October (let alone early September)

I canceled to save some money and to avoid buying stuff i didn’t really want this month. BUT I’m paying super-close attention to the Essentials track this month because 90s alternative rock (1) is usually hard to come by on vinyl because 90s and (2) I DO want more of it in my collection. Here’s hoping the clues get solved early so I can decide whether to re-up or not quickly.

not sure it's your cup of tea (or pint of guinness).....
but they were quite popular for a while (early 2000s) and are really quirky/intelligent pop band

here is one of my favorite of theirs

Supposedly, my sister's best friend's dad (pretty cool dude) hung out with Cake and played drums for them during a few jam sessions. My sister grew up listening to Cake in their car on long car rides lol.

Looking at their chartings outside of the US I’m struggling to understand them being considered big, never mind bigger than Gorillaz etc. There is some serious hyperbole at play earlier in this thread!

I find Cake much more enjoyable than Gorillaz, and their vinyl pressings are as hard to come by as Demon Days was before 2017.

I just took it to mean it would be a big get as in people want to buy it and the only reissues have been an RSD box set limited to 900 that sold out instantly.

I think chart discussions are stupid, but according to Official Charts they had two songs in the top 25 in the UK (which includes the Distance) which is not that much different from PotUSA.

Yes, chart discussions are stupid, especially in this case. Most of the stuff that sold millions in the 90s has already been repressed, so a niche pick like Cake would make sense. That said, Storf doesn’t like them either so I don’t think they’re a real contender.

What I will stand by is that I’d be much more interested in a Cake ROTM than any Gorillaz album, but that’s just a matter of preference. They’re a feel-good band and I think many people rediscovered their 90s output years after the fact. “Never There” slaps.

I’m honestly more curious about November now. “Most metal since Sabbath” unfortunately could mean “less metal than Sabbath, more metal than Queen” which is still quite a wide gap in heaviness.

Even the Presidents and Eels translated over here and reached the actual charts and the general consciousness. I mean I get people like & love them, that’s a taste thing, I just can’t see how it can be argued that they were big, never mind bigger than a worldwide number 1 album by an act who has had worldwide smashes with every album that got a wide scale release...
That’s certainly a factor but to make it a big get it has to hit way more than that, rarity alone is not enough and I’d argue it’s relatively minor unless the artist is big enough to create a bit of fuss about this rare album coming out. I think the universal derision of this month’s pick proves that.

Yes to an extent I’d agree with you. But they only had one album that even charted in the U.K., at 53. That’s in the 90s when people bought albums. Outside the US that’s the only time one of their albums charted anywhere. Looking at the critical reception for all of their albums its lukewarm. They’re a scene band, nothing wrong with that I love plenty of acts like that, it really does mean that they can’t be a big get though, never mind the absurd idea that they could be a bigger get than Gorillaz or Fiona...

Many albums that come through Vmp are artists I've never heard of, so your metric seems off. Cake was huge in California. I lost interest after their first three albums which the first two being the best.

I find Cake much more enjoyable than Gorillaz, and their vinyl pressings are as hard to come by as Demon Days was before 2017.

Yes, chart discussions are stupid, especially in this case. Most of the stuff that sold millions in the 90s has already been repressed, so a niche pick like Cake would make sense. That said, Storf doesn’t like them either so I don’t think they’re a real contender.

What I will stand by is that I’d be much more interested in a Cake ROTM than any Gorillaz album, but that’s just a matter of preference. They’re a feel-good band and I think many people rediscovered their 90s output years after the fact. “Never There” slaps.

I’m honestly more curious about November now. “Most metal since Sabbath” unfortunately could mean “less metal than Sabbath, more metal than Queen” which is still quite a wide gap in heaviness.

Yes, this :)

Many albums that come through Vmp are artists I've never heard of, so your metric seems off. Cake was huge in California. I lost interest after their first three albums which the first two being the best.

For fucks sake! Again I’m not saying they won’t or they shouldn’t! I’m laughing at the idea that was put earlier in this thread that it’d be considered bigger than Demon Days, there is no metric or argument that supports that!

Back