Vinyl Me Please Essentials

a Hole ROTM would be worth the price of admission solely to see the stampede of butthurt and closeted sexist dudes who turn out in droves to whine whenever anyone has anything positive to say about Courtney Love. Fuck it, follow it up with a Yoko Ono ROTM too!

October ROTM is 90s rock, and November is "the most metal ROTM since Black Sabbath"? That gives VMP not one, but TWO opportunities to do Alice In Chains's self-titled album (AKA 3-Legged Dog album). Hasn't ever been reissued, goes for $100+ on Discogs. C'mon VMP, I know you've faltered, but take this opportunity to do a ROTM with the best grunge band ;)

NOW YOU'RE TALKING!! 😍

a Hole ROTM would be worth the price of admission solely to see the stampede of butthurt and closeted sexist dudes who turn out in droves to whine whenever anyone has anything positive to say about Courtney Love. Fuck it, follow it up with a Yoko Ono ROTM too!
I enjoy Hole quite a bit. Courtney Love is a perfect frontwoman. Yoko Ono... she was a wonderful muse for John Lennon and a great mother to Sean.

Who are these cake and why do people think they’re huge? I’ve literally never heard of them...
not sure it's your cup of tea (or pint of guinness).....
but they were quite popular for a while (early 2000s) and are really quirky/intelligent pop band

here is one of my favorite of theirs

not sure it's your cup of tea (or pint of guinness).....
but they were quite popular for a while (early 2000s) and are really quirky/intelligent pop band

here is one of my favorite of theirs

No I did a quick google and the description of their style doesn’t seem to be my thing alright.

Looking at their chartings outside of the US I’m struggling to understand them being considered big, never mind bigger than Gorillaz etc. There is some serious hyperbole at play earlier in this thread!

PS Im going to be in work all day thinking of a pint of the black stuff now!

No I did a quick google and the description of their style doesn’t seem to be my thing alright.

Looking at their chartings outside of the US I’m struggling to understand them being considered big, never mind bigger than Gorillaz etc. There is some serious hyperbole at play earlier in this thread!

PS Im going to be in work all day thinking of a pint of the black stuff now!
I'm kind of surprised by all the love for Cake as well. "The Distance" was their big hit, but they were pretty niche beyond that. They're more Eels than Gorillaz, and I think of Eels as more successful. Maybe Superdrag or Presidents of the USA level? Definitely not Gorillaz.

I'm kind of surprised by all the love for Cake as well. "The Distance" was their big hit, but they were pretty niche beyond that. They're more Eels than Gorillaz, and I think of Eels as more successful. Maybe Superdrag or Presidents of the USA level? Definitely not Gorillaz.

Even the Presidents and Eels translated over here and reached the actual charts and the general consciousness. I mean I get people like & love them, that’s a taste thing, I just can’t see how it can be argued that they were big, never mind bigger than a worldwide number 1 album by an act who has had worldwide smashes with every album that got a wide scale release...

Even the Presidents and Eels translated over here and reached the actual charts and the general consciousness. I mean I get people like & love them, that’s a taste thing, I just can’t see how it can be argued that they were big, never mind bigger than a worldwide number 1 album by an act who has had worldwide smashes with every album that got a wide scale release...
I just took it to mean it would be a big get as in people want to buy it and the only reissues have been an RSD box set limited to 900 that sold out instantly.

I think chart discussions are stupid, but according to Official Charts they had two songs in the top 25 in the UK (which includes the Distance) which is not that much different from PotUSA.

I just took it to mean it would be a big get as in people want to buy it and the only reissues have been an RSD box set limited to 900 that sold out instantly.

I think chart discussions are stupid, but according to Official Charts they had two songs in the top 25 in the UK (which includes the Distance) which is not that much different from PotUSA.

That’s certainly a factor but to make it a big get it has to hit way more than that, rarity alone is not enough and I’d argue it’s relatively minor unless the artist is big enough to create a bit of fuss about this rare album coming out. I think the universal derision of this month’s pick proves that.

Yes to an extent I’d agree with you. But they only had one album that even charted in the U.K., at 53. That’s in the 90s when people bought albums. Outside the US that’s the only time one of their albums charted anywhere. Looking at the critical reception for all of their albums its lukewarm. They’re a scene band, nothing wrong with that I love plenty of acts like that, it really does mean that they can’t be a big get though, never mind the absurd idea that they could be a bigger get than Gorillaz or Fiona...

Last edited:
That’s certainly a factor but to make it a big get it has to hit way more than that, rarity alone is not enough and I’d argue it’s relatively minor unless the artist is big enough to create a bit of fuss about this rare album coming out. I think the universal derision of this month’s pick proves that.
Yeah, I would never claim to be able to know what would be a huge get numbers wise other than Frank Ocean or something, but based on chart history, I definitely would have bet against How I Got Over coming anywhere near Southernplaya numbers so 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I would never claim to be able to know what would be a huge get numbers wise other than Frank Ocean or something, but based on chart history, I definitely would have bet against How I Got Over coming anywhere near Southernplaya numbers so 🤷‍♂️
Frank Ocean’s Channel ORANGE would possibly be the biggest ‘get’ ever in vinyl history!!! They need to press 100,000 copies of that one I reckon, if they were to make sure no one misses out within the first few months!

Pitchfork would write an article on it, so many other websites would write about Channel ORANGE getting its first vinyl pressing and word of mouth would get around so quick!

Yeah I mean they may do it and deem it big enough, or important enough, to be worthwhile releasing. I’m not arguing it shouldn’t be done, although I’d likely not go near it, what I’m saying is that it’s hyperbole of the highest order to say it’s a bigger get than Demon Days!

Back