Vinyl Me Please Country

I gotta say, I own the Columbia Legacy 2LP Euro press of Folsom Prison and it does sound pretty good. It's completely clean and whatnot, but it's the MOV master. And USUALLY the MOV masters tend to be digital and on the thinner side. And while this does sound quite good, I'm left wondering... how much better might it be? I don't think it's ever going to be crystal clear just due to the nature of the recording. But... I might take a flier on this just to see. I like the extended version because it's got some added chatter and opening acts and it's a bit more like a complete show... But if the RKS is punchy and dynamic, it might be worth a grab, if GZ can not screw it up on the way out the door...

Just noticed an interesting pricing oddity / possible loophole. So I signed up for the bridge offer 6 months ago and that is now up. I was going to let my sub lapse, but just for fun I switched my main track from Classics to Country and from a 6 month to 3 month, and it's now showing as giving me a 3 month bridge deal ($111.75 vs. $149 for International). Anyone else have this happen? That pricing is a lot more palatable.

no. my first thought was 'what country fan - even a casual country fan - doesn't have or at least isn't pretty familiar with these records, these artists, and their importance?'. these are fantastic choices, no doubt, and any newbie couldn't do much better than starting out with these albums. i am excited for those types of folks to be able to dive in this way. but for anyone who's been around and appreciates country music in the slightest and might have been on the fence about this sub, i can't imagine they'll pull many of those people in until they put out something less ubiquitous. and to top it off none of these albums are worth $45 or whatever the fuck they're charging these days when new and used copies can be had for much less. vmp definitely swung for the n00bs (and also the press/marketing, who can use the big names to get the attention and clicks).
Shotgun Willie is a tough get, I searched for a decent copy that was reasonably priced for years. I found a copy eventually for around $16 but that took some effort. It needs to be repressed, hopefully this at least indicates some of the album choices will be albums needing a repress.

I wonder if we’ll ever find out why they couldn’t do At Folsom all analog. Outside of budget? Tapes not available? Curious because we haven’t ever gotten a proper AAA audiophile reissue of that album ever
honestly for an album this popular and respected to not have an AAA audiophile reissue makes me think that they really did just discard the tape or something. no UHQR or mofi or any other popular label doing an original master pressing makes me think that it could have just been destroyed... that or johnny cash was VERY picky about his masters and wanted to make sure they weren't used unless needed

Shotgun Willie is a tough get, I searched for a decent copy that was reasonably priced for years. I found a copy eventually for around $16 but that took some effort. It needs to be repressed, hopefully this at least indicates some of the album choices will be albums needing a repress.

i just looked through the various discogs listings of the lp and a few of them were chugging along for a 'reasonable' $10-25 until spring/summer of 2020, when it started to increase (helped by a couple absurd prices- artificial inflation, prehaps?). not gonna disagree it needs a repress, but i don't think it's *that* hard to find a decent copy for much less than what vmp is going to charge for it. i guess the tradeoff for the vmp price is not having to put in any effort to get a copy. might be different now, but i don't think i've ever seen a used copy in a store for more than $15.

i just looked through the various discogs listings of the lp and a few of them were chugging along for a 'reasonable' $10-25 until spring/summer of 2020, when it started to increase (helped by a couple absurd prices- artificial inflation, prehaps?). not gonna disagree it needs a repress, but i don't think it's *that* hard to find a decent copy for much less than what vmp is going to charge for it. i guess the tradeoff for the vmp price is not having to put in any effort to get a copy. might be different now, but i don't think i've ever seen a used copy in a store for more than $15.
Yeah, I agree with that. Sometimes you pay for convenience. It’s not am impossible get but isn’t super convenient either.

I’m definitely in for the Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, but will very likely give Sturgil Simpson a pass, as it’s not with USD$33 + tax for me!

I’m so happy that in a few months time, my country collection is going to have a record each from Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson!!!

I’ve also got some Patsy Cline and John Prine so that’s nice as well!

Just noticed an interesting pricing oddity / possible loophole. So I signed up for the bridge offer 6 months ago and that is now up. I was going to let my sub lapse, but just for fun I switched my main track from Classics to Country and from a 6 month to 3 month, and it's now showing as giving me a 3 month bridge deal ($111.75 vs. $149 for International). Anyone else have this happen? That pricing is a lot more palatable.
I noticed this too on my membership page earlier today. Switched from a 6 month sub (which was the bridge deal price) to a 3 month sub and it’s showing $89 instead of $119. I’m just going to quietly wait and see what happens on the 28th when it renews...

I noticed this too on my membership page earlier today. Switched from a 6 month sub (which was the bridge deal price) to a 3 month sub and it’s showing $89 instead of $119. I’m just going to quietly wait and see what happens on the 28th when it renews...
I think you’re gonna get hit with a full 3 month charge. That happened to me after the bridge deal. It was showing up at the bridge price again and then charged a full 3 months so I cancelled and asked for my money back. Maybe you’ll have better luck than me!

I wonder if we’ll ever find out why they couldn’t do At Folsom all analog. Outside of budget? Tapes not available? Curious because we haven’t ever gotten a proper AAA audiophile reissue of that album ever

I did ask Storf on Twitter and he kind of gave a non-answer that they'd do AAA "when available." So whether lost or damaged or something else, they didn't get access to the original material for Folsom Prison. Although Storf did also note that it was "recorded on a 4 track in a prison, so it's not like the audio quality is amazing on it to begin with."

I gotta say, I own the Columbia Legacy 2LP Euro press of Folsom Prison and it does sound pretty good. It's completely clean and whatnot, but it's the MOV master. And USUALLY the MOV masters tend to be digital and on the thinner side. And while this does sound quite good, I'm left wondering... how much better might it be? I don't think it's ever going to be crystal clear just due to the nature of the recording. But... I might take a flier on this just to see. I like the extended version because it's got some added chatter and opening acts and it's a bit more like a complete show... But if the RKS is punchy and dynamic, it might be worth a grab, if GZ can not screw it up on the way out the door...

Looked at this Legacy press because it is about half price of vmp for me and probably go for that.
But it is interesting that the releases seem kinda different. The legacy 2 LP seems to be the complete recording of the first show ( from the legacy 5lp box) including a carl perkins and a statlers tune while the original at folsom prison lp seems to be a mix of the two shows ( including i got stripes and give my love to rose, from the second set which seem not to be included on the 2lp version)

Sturgill is 17 bucks on Amazon right now, several years old, and is a rather strong seller as is at that. What category does this fall into with a 40+ dollar curated service? I get Folsom and Shotgun but that’s a headscrstcher of a choice unless it does actually get newly mastered and is a marked improvement.
Unless you have the pink variant like me....

1614176824971.png

They should really make the sub worth it and give us an AAA version of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s Will The Circle Be Unbroken.

Chris Bellman just did a AAA version of this a few years ago. Sounds great and is still available...

Back