Vinyl Me Please Classics

Oh yeah sorry, there are mono versions, but they're made by folding down the stereo tapes. So there are no original mono tapes at all, which is why all the recent reissues have been in stereo. I guess they just decided to follow the current BN reissue trends and skip making a mono cut.

Yeah no need to mess around with fold-downs. It's as simple as clicking a button to "make" the mono mix on your end in that case.

One of my all time favorites. As amazing as Music Matters releases are, I can’t justify the cost except in two cases: Indestructible and A Night in Tunisia.

I actually scored a vintage copy off ebay 15-20 years ago, when prices weren't out of whack on there. It's dusty and there's an audible scratch but it plays really well.

IMG_1604.JPGIMG_1605.JPGIMG_1606.JPG

I am considering picking up some of the older classics listed below and was hoping you guys could share your opinions and/or rankings on the sound quality and content for the albums listed below. I know the last two on the list were AAA and from everything I've seen the sound quality on those two are top notch. Thanks in advance.

C07 - Little Milton - Waiting For Little Milton
C09 - Koko Taylor - I Got What It Takes
C11 - William Bell - The Soul of the Bell
C13 - Darrell Banks - Here to Stay
C14 - Lafayette Afro-Rock Band - Soul Makossa
C17 - Donald Byrd - Fancy Free
C18 - Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
C25 - Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Gospel Train
C27 - The Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns

I am considering picking up some of the older classics listed below and was hoping you guys could share your opinions and/or rankings on the sound quality and content for the albums listed below. I know the last two on the list were AAA and from everything I've seen the sound quality on those two are top notch. Thanks in advance.

Byrd and Tharpe are far and away my picks. The others are all just.... ok.

For what it's worth Speaker's Corner did an AAA issue of Soul of a Bell this year. I think I'll pick that up when I get around to it over the VMP.

Of that list I think the Tharpe one is really something special to me. She's such an important performer and you don't see her stuff too often. This one is more straight gospel than the sort of semi-secular guitar driven stuff that really made a major impact on RnR, but it's still a very unique album in that genre. Personally I don't have a lot of 50s music at all, let alone 50s gospel so this stands out as a unique piece in my collection.

Plus it sounds stunning, crystal clear and beautiful sound. Surprised MoFi or AP didn't jump on this title already.

Don’t have the last two, but my personal rankings of the remainder would be Floyd, Banks, Bell, Little Milton, Byrd, Lafayette, Koko. All of them are very good and you can’t go wrong. Though a lot of Kokos have warping issues, so caveat emptor.

I’d also check discogs since some of the older ones go for less than retail (I know Koko does)

Those are all great and you should pick them all up.

My favorites have been:
  1. William Bell
  2. Lafayette Afro Rock Band
  3. Darrell Banks
I don't think there's a wrong choice though. Pretty solid curation.

Little Milton and Byrd are absolute must gets.

I’ll echo what @VMPKJ said and go for the ones that are more towards your musical preferences, tho my top picks from this list are William Bell, Darell Banks, Soul Makossa & The Isley Brothers.

I’ll echo what @VMPKJ said and go for the ones that are more towards your musical preferences, tho my top picks from this list are William Bell, Darell Banks, Soul Makossa & The Isley Brothers.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas! They are literally my four favourite as well! I absolutely love Little Milton too, that would be my 5th favourite out of the bunch!

But oh my, all those classics are exceptional!

I live for the Classics track! It’s everything!

Back