Vinyl Me Please Classics

If you're just a casual fan I think there is nothing wrong with the BN75 releases. I have several of them and I like them fine. You can get them for half the price of MM releases and to me that makes sense. I'm not saying they are amazing but I'm saying they are plenty good for me.

i agree. they have been a mixed bag for me in terms of quality though

If you're just a casual fan I think there is nothing wrong with the BN75 releases. I have several of them and I like them fine. You can get them for half the price of MM releases and to me that makes sense. I'm not saying they are amazing but I'm saying they are plenty good for me.
To weigh in here, I personally would rather stream Blue Notes than have the 75th anniversary pressings but I'm a bit biased because I had to return 4 or 5 of them in a row due to awful quality control, warps, distortion and the like. The 80th anniversary pressings are way better so far and still affordable. The Tone Poets are incredible and most can be gotten for under $30 on preorder from Amazon. I'd also look for any Liberty (VG or better quality since even the VG play nicely), King and UA pressings because you can often find those for around $20-30 each and they sound quite nice. I've found a lot of nice sounding older represses that don't break the bank. And I splurge on the Music Matters pressings when either I find them for under $40 or when it's an album that I truly love. For the 75th anniversary pressings, I would rather just hold off and buy another variant of an album, but I understand that it's a good entry point for a lot of people who are trying to get into Blue Note. I just think for a little more money, you can get a much better sounding copy that you are more likely to keep longer instead of needing to upgrade further down the line.

To weigh in here, I personally would rather stream Blue Notes than have the 75th anniversary pressings but I'm a bit biased because I had to return 4 or 5 of them in a row due to awful quality control, warps, distortion and the like. The 80th anniversary pressings are way better so far and still affordable. The Tone Poets are incredible and most can be gotten for under $30 on preorder from Amazon. I'd also look for any Liberty (VG or better quality since even the VG play nicely), King and UA pressings because you can often find those for around $20-30 each and they sound quite nice. I've found a lot of nice sounding older represses that don't break the bank. And I splurge on the Music Matters pressings when either I find them for under $40 or when it's an album that I truly love. For the 75th anniversary pressings, I would rather just hold off and buy another variant of an album, but I understand that it's a good entry point for a lot of people who are trying to get into Blue Note. I just think for a little more money, you can get a much better sounding copy that you are more likely to keep longer instead of needing to upgrade further down the line.
This isn’t Blue Note, but this is probably one of the best sounding records I’ve ever heard and is a steal at $35:

This isn’t Blue Note, but this is probably one of the best sounding records I’ve ever heard and is a steal at $35:

How could I forget....! The Analogue Productions pressings are really nice as well. They also press Blue Note and other labels too and are another way to get into the more "audiophile" pressings without doling out $50-60 on each record for a MM.

How could I forget....! The Analogue Productions pressings are really nice as well. They also press Blue Note and other labels too and are another way to get into the more "audiophile" pressings without doling out $50-60 on each record for a MM.
I grabbed this from Acoustic Sounds a month or so ago...packed incredibly well but still had a seam split - dropped them an email about it and they sent me a new sleeve out in no time.

I grabbed this from Acoustic Sounds a month or so ago...packed incredibly well but still had a seam split - dropped them an email about it and they sent me a new sleeve out in no time.
I'm a big fan of AS. I bought my first big record purchase ever from them probably 20 years ago at this point. The Nick Drake box set on vinyl.

Oh man... must resist. This is one of the albums that started my love for jazz...

Will check how much is for shipping...Yeah...Will do that

Aaaaand I bought it... SMH :ROFLMAO:

As someone who bought maybe a dozen of the 75th Anniversary albums, I could not agree with this whole post more! I think I still have five or so that I've yet to replace with good versions. Looking back, I'd much rather have just streamed them and saved the money towards buying better pressings in the future.

With AS, you have the option of asking the records to be sent outside the jackets. All you need to do is ask in the comments section. I am glad that you received the replacement jacket, but such offers are not always made.

I only have 1-2 of the 75th pressings and basically just decided to hold off on them because of the (lack of) quality.

I completely agree with @MikeH about the BN80 pressings, they are fab and at a great price point.

I would also add that not all originals (or early pressings) are crazy prices. Just search eBay and your local every now and again and I guarantee a decent early pressing can be picked up for less than the price of a BN75. The other great thing about the early presses are that they are the Nokia's of the vinyl world (well, not quite indestructible but certainly very forgiving), and the odd scratch or surface mark may have minimal impact on the audio. I actually picked up an OG blue note super cheap that someone clearly used as a frisbee, but after a proper clean it plays through without any noise at all.

And finally, I recently came to a realisation that I was spending a crazy amount on loads of mediocre pressings and was completely dismissing the more expensive pressings because they were too much money. Now I try (really.....) to just hold off on buying poor quality pressings and use that money to save for more expensive but decent pressings. I find I play them significantly more and can lose myself in the music rather than flinching at every pop or tick that the previous ones had.

Anyone in Canada purchased from Acoustic Sounds? What are their shipping rates like?

Pricy, but pretty similar to a lot of US stores. Also, the one time I ordered from there, they shipped by FedEx, which adds a guaranteed brokerage and customs fees (about $25 more for the 3 records I ordered in that shipment).

Back