Vinyl Me Please Classics

So, I was on the month to month and have been unsubbed since the forums closed- I have signed in and it only gives 3 month and up options.

Looks like they don't grandfather in the OG's anymore month to month?

EDIT: Nvm, looks like I had to to go Account and "Reactivate". But choosing to join track from the home page only offered 3 months. So it appears they attempt to at least obfuscate it.
Thanks for the one month tip, I reactivated for this one because I have $10 credit and I want this release. So there you go VMP.

Big Blakey fan here. Mostly due to his connection to a local jazz hero here in Knoxville. A local here, Donald Brown, played and recorded with him. Donald teaches here (I think he still does), and I took his class way back when. It was a jazz history class. And yes...I did get an "A".

Blue Note were talking about doing special releases around Blakey’s 100th birthday, and they said we should look at records by him for Classics.
I wonder if this means we are going to get an announcement of special Blakey releases from Blue Note very soon? The only thing they currently have on the schedule that is Blakey-related is the BN80 reissues of Meet You At the Jazz Corner of the World in November and Buhaina's Delight in January next year.

I wonder if this means we are going to get an announcement of special Blakey releases from Blue Note very soon? The only thing they currently have on the schedule that is Blakey-related is the BN80 reissues of Meet You At the Jazz Corner of the World in November and Buhaina's Delight in January next year.

Yeah I thought the same thing. But you'd think they'd announce with more than a month advance to get all those sweet sweet preorders?

WHOLE lot of 2019-20 BN Blakey reissues:

Free For All (MM-SRX)
A Night in Tunisia (MM-SRX)
Indestructible (BN80)
Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World (BN80)
Buhaina's Delight (BN80)
Horace Silver and Spotlight on Drums: Art Blakey - Sabu (VMP Anthology)
Freedom Rider (VMP)

Last edited:
I skimmed the Reddit thread and caught 2 items of note for Classics

1) Storf says there will be no Classics-related exclusives

2) It may or may not matter to some, but while they're occasionally given the choice, VMP was only offered the Stereo tapes for this release. Should you be holding out hope for a remastered Mono pressing, it won't be this.

I skimmed the Reddit thread and caught 2 items of note for Classics

1) Storf says there will be no Classics-related exclusives

2) It may or may not matter to some, but while they're occasionally given the choice, VMP was only offered the Stereo tapes for this release. Should you be holding out hope for a remastered Mono pressing, it won't be this.

Shame about the lack of exclusives. But AFAIK, there is no mono master for Freedom Rider (or any other Blue Note recording post the 1500 series). In 1964 RVG would've been only recording in stereo. If you look at the picture they posted of the master tape, check out what's written at the bottom of the box: "Note: mo/master made 50/50 from stereo."

WHOLE lot of 2019-20 BN Blakey reissues:

Free For All (MM-SRX)
Indestructible (BN80)
Buhaina's Delight (BN80)
Freedom Rider (VMP)
I got really drunk one time while at my flat and managed to put Indestructible on the platter. By the time 'When Love Is New' was playing I honestly would have declared it the greatest album of all time. I was completely mesmerised by it. Whilst sober it doesnt quite match what I felt but still, il be picking the BN80 up for sure

Last edited:
I got really drunk one time while at my flat and managed to put Indestructible on the platter. By the time 'When Love Is New' was playing I honestly would have declared it the greatest album of all time. Like I was completely mesmerised by it. Whilst sober it doesnt quite match what I felt but still, il be picking the BN80 up for sure

I love Indestructible, especially the first track The Egyptian. Something about that pulsating horn riff they play sporadically over the soloing that really gets me. I got the MM version and I'm getting the BN80 one as well-- and hopefully an OG, just to complete the trifecta.

Shame about the lack of exclusives. But AFAIK, there is no mono master for Freedom Rider (or any other Blue Note recording post the 1500 series). In 1964 RVG would've been only recording in stereo. If you look at the picture they posted of the master tape, check out what's written at the bottom of the box: "Note: mo/master made 50/50 from stereo."

Could (likely?) be incorrect, but I think people are going off the Discogs info

WHOLE lot of BN Blakey reissues:

Free For All (MM-SRX)
Indestructible (BN80)
Buhaina's Delight (BN80)
Freedom Rider (VMP)
Sure, I'm aware of all these and either have all of them or going to pre-order them (with the exception of the VMP release, of course), but I was holding out hope that "special releases" meant more than just the BN80 series stuff that comes out around his birthday. I wouldn't think that the MMJ releases count, since they weren't picked by Blue Note and since they came out in January they certainly couldn't have been apart of what Blue Note were telling Storf about. The VMP anthology pick definitely wouldn't count since, while it's a great Blakey showcase, it's kind of a split release with Horace Silver (in my view) and Blue Note technically didn't pick that one either - they offered it as a part of a list for VMP to pick from. I've already been really happy about BN80 deciding to put out so much Blakey, but I'm holding out hope for more! For instance, his awesome collab with Fathead Newman and Dr. John, Bluesiana Triangle, has never been released on vinyl!

Could (likely?) be incorrect, but I think people are going off the Discogs info

Oh yeah sorry, there are mono versions, but they're made by folding down the stereo tapes. So there are no original mono tapes at all, which is why all the recent reissues have been in stereo. I guess they just decided to follow the current BN reissue trends and skip making a mono cut.

To be fair, this was recorded in the early 60’s (‘61 I think?) and released in 1964 if I’m not mistaken. Anyway, you are right I think for mono masters. I’m sure this will sound lovely in stereo, how it was initially recorded.

Back