Vinyl Me Please Classics

@MikeH I'm betting young soul, fusion and free jazz artist's aren't knocking on JALO's door because they know he is there. It probably does more harm to the program than it does to those individuals who will find another avenue because that's clearly not the right avenue.
sure, the kids playing post-1960 jazz aren't knocking on JALC's door and they're finding their own way that doesn't include that, but that doesn't mean they're not harmed by being excluded. They're not knocking on that door because they already know they're locked out and they've explicitly been told that they are judged and found wanting.

I know this isn't that kind of thing, but what if someone told a woman or an ethnic or sexual minority "look, you're locked out of this large venue -- it's not your fault, they just don't like your kind -- you can find your own way in the world though".

Last edited:
sure, the kids playing post-1960 jazz aren't knocking on JALC's door and they're finding their own way that doesn't include that, but that doesn't mean they're not harmed by being excluded. I know this isn't that kind of thing, but what if someone told a woman or an ethnic or sexual minority "look, you're locked out of this large venue -- it's not your fault, they just don't like your kind -- you can find your own way in the world though".
They aren’t regularly booking rock artists for their venue either. I don’t want the grand ol opry to have to book Foo Fighters unless that’s what they want to do.

They aren’t regularly booking rock artists for their venue either. I don’t want the grand ol opry to have to book Foo Fighters unless that’s what they want to do.
if the foos did a country rock album because grohl decided let's do some byrds, gram parsons is great! and grand ol' opry's musical director came back with some "anything after 1940 isn't real country" BS you might feel differently.

July: Archie Shepp (There's a Trumpet in My Soul) or McCoy Tyner (Trident or maybe Atlantis)
Either way, a deep cut hidden gem from one of these masters.

ORG is reissuing Shepp at the end of this month!

Monk arrived today and it sounded wonderful, particularly the horns. Drums and bass sound a little like they’re in the “back of the room at times,” but that seems to be the recording/stereo mix itself. Though I kinda enjoyed it because you could almost map out where everyone was in the recording studio.

Very pleased with this one. Only gripe is that it’s a shorter mix.

Counter point: a lot of people are scared of fusion and it’s such a hard movement to define. It simultaneously killed and brought new life to jazz. Like, jazz has been alienating audiences by and large since the advent of bop and became more niche. Jazz used to just be pop music!

Brother, no one is scared of fusion. It’s just that most of what is considered jazz fusion sounds like two-packs of unwashed ass. It sucks hard. I say this as someone who actually likes some fusion.

For every well received Weather Report, Tony Williams, or Mahavishnu Orchestra album, there’s 100 albums of Pat Metheny doing solos that sounds like drowning cats over a smooth jazz rhythm section. Which is ironic because Metheny was a huge critic of Kenny G, but I swear to god, half of Metheny’s discography sounds like smooth jazz and drowning cats.

Brother, no one is scared of fusion. It’s just that most of what is considered jazz fusion sounds like two-packs of unwashed ass. It sucks hard. I say this as someone who actually likes some fusion.

For every well received Weather Report, Tony Williams, or Mahavishnu Orchestra album, there’s 100 albums of Pat Metheny doing solos that sounds like drowning cats over a smooth jazz rhythm section. Which is ironic because Metheny was a huge critic of Kenny G, but I swear to god, half of Metheny’s discography sounds like smooth jazz and drowning cats.
He doesn't like Kenny because Kenny doesn't drown cats.

Monk arrived today and it sounded wonderful, particularly the horns. Drums and bass sound a little like they’re in the “back of the room at times,” but that seems to be the recording/stereo mix itself. Though I kinda enjoyed it because you could almost map out where everyone was in the recording studio.

Very pleased with this one. Only gripe is that it’s a shorter mix.
Really wish they threw the mono version of Crepuscule With Nellie on the back end. The stereo is fine and Ryan Smith did a great job but I do think the mono is more cohesive. You can at least feel and hear the bass :LOL: But still a good job and glad to have it.

Trident_ROTM_600x.jpg

Nice!

Those Milestone releases are really overlooked but the music tends to be great. Not familiar with this one so excited.

Also, is this the first time that a lead musician has been picked twice for Classics? Sahara being his first.

Edit: unless you count Miles Davis - the joint lead of Miles Davis & John Coltrane for “The Final Tour” and “Star People”

Last edited:
Nice!

Those Milestone releases are really overlooked but the music tends to be great. Not familiar with this one so excited.

Also, is this the first time that a lead musician has been picked twice for Classics? Sahara being his first
Miles.

Back